2 controller layout connection

LNWRNORM

Guys,

After too many years of building locos I have finally acquired a layout to actually run them on thanks to kids finally leaving and the granting of a room from SWMBO.

The layout is fairly simple and based on branch line working and consists of an outer oval with station, with a point in the oval leading to a fairly extensive goods yard and shed in the centre area.

Having spent a couple of months improving the scenery and buildings etc I have finally arrived at the wiring. Whilst it all appears to function as it should, there is one glaring oddity (to me) that I seek your advice.

The layout is controlled by a Morley Vector Zero Two, with in simplest terms, controller one dealing with the oval and controller two dealing with the goods area. To enter the goods area the point is switched and controller one drives the loco onto the point. At the end of the point is the break in both rails the other side of which is where controller two assumes responsibility for the loco. To make this work controller two is set to the same knob position as controller one and the loco is then driven across the break and into controller twos domain who then takes control of the loco. The same method is used in reverse to exit the goods yard.

So, and I confess to being lost where wiring is concerned, this seems strange to me. Is there a more elegant solution that I could adopt?

If there is another way to do this, please be simple with the explanation, and a diagram of any required connections would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Norman

• RMweb Premium

The very simple way would be 2 double pole double throw switches each linked to one section. The switches have 6 terminals. The centre 2 from each go to the track. You then need to take the two output wires from each side of the controller and connect them to the 2 wires on either side of the switches. Then you can choose either controller a or b for either section. the centre position of the switch is off and isolates the track. If I can I'll draw a little diagram and post it.

Jamie

The very simple way would be 2 double pole double throw switches each linked to one section. The switches have 6 terminals. The centre 2 from each go to the track. You then need to take the two output wires from each side of the controller and connect them to the 2 wires on either side of the switches. Then you can choose either controller a or b for either section. the centre position of the switch is off and isolates the track. If I can I'll draw a little diagram and post it.

Jamie

I agree. That works very nicely.

If it sounds complex then don't worry because it will make sense when you see it.

Jamie

Jamie,

Thank you very much for that, thought there had to be something better!

A diagram would be great, despite your good explanation - a picture paints a thousand words etc

Norman

Take a look at this Wiki Article .

Scroll down until you see the diagrams. The DPDT / DPCO is what you need. A centre off one is great because you can isolate the section completely.

In the diagram, connection A is the one on the top right, & D is below it. The ones on the left are (top down) B,C E & F.

Connect one controller to B & E and the other to C & F. A & D go to the track.

An actual switch would have A & D in the middle, C & F on one side & A & D on the other. I can't take a pic of one because my layout is DCC but I wired the sections on South Pimlico in exactly this way.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Norman,

in addition to the above you could always use cab control, not difficult to do, you need a single pole changeover switch, with centre off, for each track section and it will allow either controller to be used anywhere on the layout.

(Dave Skip, ex Mostyn if you can't remember me ;) )

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The good news is that the solution everyone has pointed you towards is pretty future-proof, as well.

If, in the fullness of time, you decide that DCC and even sound would further enhance your layout, then simply disconnecting your existing controller, and linking a DCC system to one of the two controller outputs, and setting all your section switches to that output, would enable you to be up and running on DCC just like that.

Doing what has been suggested in the thread above - heads you win, tails you can't lose!

Sorry for not getting back to you all, another crisis took priority, but the deed has been done now and yes, it works :D

As before, my thanks to you all for the solution, now I can play without the curses, I just have to learn all the point settings now!

Thanks also for the info on DCC, I would certainly be interested, but with upward of 150 locos the cost may be a tad prohibitive at the moment.

I do have to downsize anyway, as I am not allowed to have two rooms apparently........................

Norman

Archived