The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

registration plates we have seen

coachmann

In the Historic Car hobby, there is general moaning about the loss of Reg. Nos., in general from old cars, be they good examples as in previous posts or some desire to have an 'old' Reg. No. on vehicles. Remembering all the time that ultimately the numbers belong to the DVLA.

The impression given is that it is a recent/modern trend, but the earliest example I know of is the Cornish AF 85, issued in 1903 and transferred in 1905 to another vehicle.

I'm also aware that CV 9999 was transfered in about 1941 to another vehicle and the number is still in use around west Cornwall.

I have CV 9998 on it's original vehicle still...

Edited by Penlan

My own plate-5021 ED-was originally issued to a MkII Jaguar 2.4 in Warrington. A friend bought the car in about 1974. He gave me the plate; back then the old card "log books" just required me to fill in the next space as the new "keeper", transfer the plate to my Morris Minor Van (ISTR there was no fee to transfer the number back then) and then he filled in the next space and became the keeper again.He was not pleased by the replacement plate being 171 WNK !

When I got the MG in 1977 things were a little more regulated. I had to present the van at the DVLA office in Luton, where the chassis and engine numbers were checked before the transfer was allowed. That cost £50 by now.

Around that time they changed the rules so that you could only transfer numbers to the the same class of vehicle. One consequence of this was that the owner of the local laundry had put his plate "temporarily" on to his electric van; and there it stayed for many years.

I was a little concerned by the SORN rules as the MG came of the road in 1995 when I got the Camper, as this was pre-SORN, there were rumours that numbers would "lapse" but I had no problems when I put it back on the road this summer.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

You have to wonder why it costs more to do nothing (i.e. retain it) than to transfer it. I can understand a reasonable administrative fee for a transfer but this smells of DVLA being used as a cash-cow.

I recall there were some issues when certain buses gave up their original registrations (which appeared on management cars - a move which did nothing for rank and file morale) and gained "appropriate" year marks. As an example 400DCD was re-registered into the AOR___B series. When it was decided to reinstate the original mark on those vehicles being retained it had suddenly "attracted' a massive Cherished Mark fee despite it was their original!!!

• RMweb Premium

I've seen one or two oddities around.

WGL 1T (Wiggle it - driven by a female)

YAP 41T (Yap 4 it - driven by a dog groomer)

B19 BUS (Big Bus - on a double-deck Neoplan Skyliner coach)

Out here in Oz the rules are a little less restrictive and we can have almost any combination of six characters (7 in two states) resulting in a great many personal plates appearing:

KIA RIO, SUBARU, TOYOTA (Make and model)

BIGGA 1 (Yes, it's a big car!)

FASTA 1 (It was)

WOGBOY (Used here as a term to refer to certain nationalities rather than any race or colour; not considered offensive)

PLUMMA (man, van and pipes!)

TRAMMY (the nickname applied to our tram drivers)

2PLZYU (To please you)

69GALS (Need I say more?)

KIMMYS (I didn't ask her name...)

And many many more

FNBIG used to drive past my place regularly. It was an F100 FWD.

Kevin Martin

If you see a plate and are not sure what the car is, or if you want to check if any of your old cars are still on the road, try here : https://www.mycarcheck.com/

This looks as if it may be similar to the Auto Trades Data Base, or at least the Platinum version, only the auto-parts counter hand can do it for Free (depending on their conditions of employment).

But the main thing is it brings up the make for free, which means you can then go to the DVLA's web site and do a Vehicle Enquiry with the Reg No and Make (both fields required) to see if it's on the road legal and/or Sorned. This is one of those area's on the DVLA that is down a few 'side streets' but you should find it here :- https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/enquiry?execution=e1s1 if of course you need this type of information - I use it as part of a check with pre-war classics in a parallel universe.

I have to transfer everytime I change the car but didn't have to pay a retain fee or any surcharge. Plates are better investments than anything. I was offered twice what I paid a few years back but noticed the same company was offering similar named reg's for 15 times what I paid.

• RMweb Premium

400DCD was at one time shoved on a rather forlorn looking Vauxhall Astra Diesel estate that was the Chichester area bus controllers motor, then common sense saw it put back on a bus, all be it a National 2 which in turn lost its rather fun RUF number!!

Southdown seemed to have fun with the Brighton LVO as they had fleets of DUF's CUF's PUF's, MUF's, RUF's and on some of the last Nationals ever built (and appropriate for the Sussex Coast) OAP's!!

There was a bus company somewhere that farmed registration numbers on a driver trainer bus. It had its pre suffix year letter number taken off and received a 1962 'A' registration and they then proceeded to transfer the number off repeatedly onto various coaches unitl I think eventually the DVLA told them to pack it in!!

If restoring an old vintage vehicle which has been off the road for a very long time, I believe the DVLA has a procedure which you can follow to regain its original number providing there is sufficient proof of original identity and it has not been reissued since.

.....I believe the DVLA has a procedure which you can follow to regain its original number providing there is sufficient proof of original identity and it has not been reissued since.

The first part - that is correct,

Second part they have not taken to re-issuing defunct numbers, yet.

That I think that would be a minefield and anyway they would have to dribble the numbers out to maintain the DVLAgency's profitability,

which at the end of the day is all the Agency is interested in.

On another Forum I am fairly well known for taking the DVLA to task over their non-accoutability on 'Cherished' Reg Nos.,

in relation to cloned vehicles MoT's to enable transfer etc., (don't get me started on that one)...

but it does involve various Police Forces, Courts, MP's, The Home Office, VOSA and the DVLA.

Registrar A7CA.... = 'Penlan' in a parallel universe.

Edited by Penlan

euro car parts website has a VRM (vehicle registration mark) lookup facility which gives model & engine size

http://www.eurocarparts.com/

Still not the full version as the VIN isn't showing. The version we used in the AutoShop I worked at also had the facility that if what the customer told you wasn't the same as what was on the screen, there was a facility to notify DVLA immediatly.

The eurocarparts site is good though and it allows you select any of the parts sections, select a part type, and it shows you the correct part number (say for brake discs) for your car - The car I looked up had aftermarket makes as well.

Edited by Penlan

One I've seen recently has been in the news (for those that read Metro). When I saw it at the end of August, it was attached to a rather swish Bentley.

HA51 LEG

Whether it has been transferred to a Porsche, as quoted in the paper, remains to be seen.

• RMweb Premium

And a superb piece of irony in that image also. Our rego plates sometimes have a "strap line" beneath which includes the state of issue and a short slogan. These change every few years but the current range is

NSW - The First State

Queensland - Sunshine State

Northern Territory - Outback Australia

Tasmania - Holiday Isle

Victoria - On The Move

You can just pick out the "On The Move" part on that plate. Then look at the traffic!!!!!