The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

registration plates we have seen

coachmann

Many years ago, long before the days of personalised plates,

That time did not exist. Various people with money and influence were queueing to get the likes of A1 and 1A-I believe Lord Montague of Beaulieu got one.

Fiona Richmond did have an E Type with the number PEN 15 at one time.

Close to me is a Peugeot with 01010, except I don't know which are letters and which are numbers.

My first car, a Morris 1000 Traveller had the number RAY 515. Some years later, whilst waiting to be rescued by the AA, I saw a Rolls-Royce bearing my old number. Turned out that the guy I sold the car to had sold it for the number for more than he had paid me!

Ed

I should point out that it was me in a Vauxhall waiting for the AA, and not the Rolls-Royce.

Edited by edcayton

......Am I right in thinking that our boys in blue can confiscate a personal registration if it's incorrectly fitted to a car?

If you mean the digits are incorrectly spaced, I don't think at that point they can confiscate it, but you can certainly be charged with not having the digits at the correct spacing.

In our village we had RO51E MM (Rosie Mxxx) - the owner was prosecuted and now they have RO51 EMM on the plates.

The Supplier of the plate with an incorrect arrangement of the digits can also be prosecuted, that's why their mark is normally somewhere on the plate. Don't forget, if the cars in an accident, that nice plate goes to the insurance company (normally).

Of course Rosie is narked because we also have 5 URF in the village - oops sorry 5URF, and they regularly park about 5 doors away from Rosie.

I use to have CG 7241, but during the car's 'Lost' phase, the plate was sold on. I saw a reference to it on a Forum once saying it would match some wording (not defined) and I still haven't worked it out.... I recovered the car some 8 years ago with an age related plate.

Edited by Penlan

• RMweb Premium

There does at least seem to have been a clampdown on dodgy fonts, a few years back there seemed to be plenty of cars on the road with virtually unreadable script font plates and suchlike, not seen one for a while though.

It's always stuck me as being somewhat hypocritical for the DVLA to charge a premium for plates that are only 'valuable' when the letters are illegally spaced.

• RMweb Gold

Today I seen a car 800 T, and someone in Mossley has MO 55 LEY and I think there is GL 05 SOP locally. I attended an auction to bid for BU 55 TOP but when it was got to silly money I stopped bidding,

Peter

Edited by Savoyard

The plate that sticks in my mind that I have seen on several makes of car over the past few years in Manchester is

AVE 1T

but my all time personal favourite used to be about the Blackpool area in the 1980's and, I'm only guessing it used to belong to an Irish man, was

POT 80.

Absolute class in my book and way before the DVLA decided to cash in on the trend

Boogy

Edited by boogaloo

• RMweb Premium

I have seen in the past ERN1E on an old VW Camper van and COM1C parked near the Assembly Rooms in Derby (not sure but I think it belonged to Jim Davison) Also see D141TAL on the way home from Pride Park on a Saturday afternoon.

When spending many hours of spotting at South moreton near didcot, RAD 10 ofter drove past, not sure what they had anything to do with radio tho!

My Father tells me that certainly in the late 60s/early 70s that number belonged to a famous Radio 1 DJ.

My parents' neighbours years ago were moved out by a removal lorry that carried the number M10 VED.

My friend from Cambridge spotted (and photographed to prove it) a motorbike with the number B16 NOB

Somewhere out there is J3 NNY, J33 NNY and J333 NNY because I searched the DVLA database for them some years ago. No way would I be able to afford them.

I remember there being a fuss when the K prefix numbers appeared about the possibility of K1 NKY being issued and I recall the DVLA refused to issue it.

I see a lot of personalised numbers on my travels; they're getting a bit passe these days as so many have them it seems. A lot of them seem to have little significance unless you know why the owner picked them.

Down in Farnham Common, the local Saab dealer (Haymill Motors, incidentally the 1st Saab dealer in the UK) had the reg SAA 13 on a number of demo vehicles and, at one point, on their 900 Pick-up. (Not a catalogue vehicle sadly.)

steve

• RMweb Premium

A bakers in Brighton had BUN5 on their van for many years and I have sometimes seen here abouts KGB1 which I was told (probably untrue) did belong to a Russian!!

Also had the pleasure of having RR1 parked outside my house once about twenty years ago, a brand new Rolls Royce that was being photographed in a suitably rural location for their new brochure!!

Edited by John M Upton

The plate that sticks in my mind that I have seen on several makes of car over the past few years in Manchester is

AVE 1T

but my all time personal favourite used to be about the Blackpool area in the 1980's and, I'm only guessing it used to belong to an Irish man, was

POT 80.

Absolute class in my book and way before the DVLA decided to cash in on the trend

Boogy

This is going back a long way but I think that POT 80 was one of the examples in my "I-Spy" car registrations book and (in the sixties) was credited to a Scottish greengrocer.

• RMweb Premium

GWR 262 T was spotted at a preserved railway a while ago. Should have been on a Prairie but wasn't. Passing through I have seen a Dodge Viper a couple of times, with a plate V 1 PER (or might be V11 PER - only seen it at an angle and from a distance!).

• RMweb Premium

I've seen one or two oddities around.

WGL 1T (Wiggle it - driven by a female)

YAP 41T (Yap 4 it - driven by a dog groomer)

B19 BUS (Big Bus - on a double-deck Neoplan Skyliner coach)

Out here in Oz the rules are a little less restrictive and we can have almost any combination of six characters (7 in two states) resulting in a great many personal plates appearing:

KIA RIO, SUBARU, TOYOTA (Make and model)

BIGGA 1 (Yes, it's a big car!)

FASTA 1 (It was)

WOGBOY (Used here as a term to refer to certain nationalities rather than any race or colour; not considered offensive)

PLUMMA (man, van and pipes!)

TRAMMY (the nickname applied to our tram drivers)

2PLZYU (To please you)

69GALS (Need I say more?)

KIMMYS (I didn't ask her name...)

And many many more