Model Rail Sentinel

LH&JC

Further to my earlier post, my version, the BR departmental loco #57 has all of the brake gear glued in place both at the corners and to the gear cover. If you have no intention of taking things apart for servicing or conversion to EM or P4 this is not a big deal. If you do intend to have the cover off then be prepared to be creative when it comes to restoring things to their original condition :scratch_one-s_head_mini: .

Cheers,

David

Does the brake gear need to be glued in place?

As I mentioned, mine wasn't glued and has been removed and replaced several times. Each time it clipped back into the four slots and has shown no sign of wanting to fall out. Maybe the moulds are wearing out quickly...

Nick

I had a look at another one yesterday, same problem everything glued in place. This is not just about people wanting to convert to the wider gauges, if someone in 00 wants to get the lid off to do some maintenance they are faced with the same issue. Not the end of the world if you are prepared to make some modifications but, erm, tiresome. The sanding gear effectively will hold everything in place so as has been suggested there is no actual need for things to be glued all over.

Cheers,

David

As I mentioned, mine wasn't glued and has been removed and replaced several times. Each time it clipped back into the four slots and has shown no sign of wanting to fall out. Maybe the moulds are wearing out quickly...

Nick

could be one option, although with a run this small, and future models planned, I find this surprising. IMHO Glue is not the best rectification...

The alternative is that someone, somewhere in China thought glue would be a good idea!

IF this is the case, then is plain sloppy, given that there's solid evidence that some models were released and manage 100% fine without

How would you feel if you'd bought a bicycle* and were told 'sorry, we can't change the original tyres, nor can we adjust the bearings because the wheel release clips have been welded onto the forks...

*similar magintude price, machine, maintainance anticipated for long life

Me thinks the attitude in China is the these are TOYS (throw away) rather than MODELS (expected to last decades).

May be worth asking for replacement brake gear on the basis that the fitted parts will be destoryed on removal?

[EDITED TO REPHRASE AND TONE DOWN]

• Like 1

One option is worn tools, although with a run this small, and future models planned, I find this surprising. If its the case, then production should have been halted until a proper fix was done, not a bodge job on a model costing £££...!

The alternative is that someone, somewhere in China thought glue would be a good idea!

Maybe I should have put a smiley in there as worn tools wasn't intended to be a wholly serious remark. Unfortunately, I suspect your second explanation might be more likely.

Nick

One option is worn tools, although with a run this small, and future models planned, I find this surprising. If its the case, then production should have been halted until a proper fix was done, not a bodge job on a model costing £££...!

IF this is the case, then is plain sloppy, given that there's solid evidence that some models were released and manage 100% fine without

How would you feel if you'd bought a bicycle* and were told 'sorry, we can't change the original tyres, nor can we adjust the bearings because the wheel release clips have been welded onto the forks...

*similar magintude price, machine, maintainance anticipated for long life

Me thinks the attitude in China is the these are TOYS (throw away) rather than MODELS (expected to last decades).

May be worth asking for replacement brake gear on the basis that the fitted parts will be destoryed on removal?

Hold on a minute! Cut the talk about worn tools and botched jobs, please. I can assure you that neither is the case and such suggestions are ill-considered especially in public and without contacting either MR or Dapol to get the facts first. Another 2,000 models are in production at present. Personally, I have no idea why some brake gear is glued but logic suggests that Dapol found it was sometimes coming adrift in transit and this is the easiest way to stop it doing so. The model is intended primarily for ready-to-run users and the requirements of those who wish to change the gauge are not really a factor in the design.

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 4

Hold on a minute! Cut the talk about worn tools and botched jobs, please. I can assure you that neither is the case and such suggestions are ill-considered especially in public and without contacting either MR or Dapol to get the facts first. Another 2,000 models are in production at present. Personally, I have no idea why some brake gear is glued but logic suggests that Dapol found it was sometimes coming adrift in transit and this is the easiest way to stop it doing so. The model is intended primarily for ready-to-run users and the requirements of those who wish to change the gauge are not really a factor in the design.

CHRIS LEIGH

Fair point Chris, but a 00 RTR user (or their favourite service techie) may at some point wish to take the gear cover off for cleaning and re-lubrication. If all parts of the brake gear are glued including the rodding that attaches to the gear cover this becomes a much more complicated and time consuming task. As it happens I contacted Kernow first about this issue and they suggested raising the matter on this forum. For my own purposes I intend to cut the hangers off flush with the base and insert locating pins and leave the gear glued to the gear cover.

Cheers,

David

• Like 1

CHRIS LEIGH

Buffalo, understood, I did wonder if you were being entirely serious given the fact that the model is brand new.

Sorry Chris - I've rephrased things a bit, not a good selection of vocabulary on my part. Humble apology.

While gauge changing is not a factor in design, surely accessing the wheelsets for maintenance etc as DavKnigh suggests, is part of the design? Otherwise why not just rivet the model together?

If bits were coming off, why not just leave them for the end user to fit (as was the norm for detailed brake gear not so long ago)?

I suppose my original response was driven by annoyance at parts being glued where the original design did not call for such action (based on personal experience with other models).

• Like 1

The model is intended primarily for ready-to-run users and the requirements of those who wish to change the gauge are not really a factor in the design.

CHRIS LEIGH

I can fully understand the logic behind that, but I do think that its a shame us EM/P4 modellers weren't considered at the design stage. I did ask for us to be considered early on in this thread. Luckily Ultrascale came up with the goods so life is good.

Which makes me wonder how many will be converted, especially as this type of loco lends itself well to small 'finescale'* layouts.

*Whatever that means today...

Buffalo, understood, I did wonder if you were being entirely serious given the fact that the model is brand new.

My fault, I was being a bit tight with the smileys that day and earlier when I suggested they'd started making them before the glue arrived. Both were intended as tongue in cheek remarks about something which I and others saw as unnecessary.

Nick

Having converted the GWR No 13 with no problems- the brake shoes were not glued in,

I went on to convert the BR No 57, with the brake gear glued in place.

My solution was four vertical cuts behind the brake shoes so releasing the brake yokes and pull rod, leaving the shoes in place.

The brake pull rods and yoke were later glued to the keeper plate as a simple meens of keeping everything correctly located, plus the plate can still be removed.

Much to my annoyance I broke one of the guard irons in this fiddly exercise.

Gordon A

Bristol

Given that we have had many threads grizzling about the delicate nature of modern r-t-r and the fixtures and fittings thereon, I feel that dibber 25 does have a point when people complain about details not being easy to remove.

The model was, as I understand it, basically to be sold as a OO/16.5mm r-t-r model, and designed as such. Anyone who wishes to alter it from those specifications must surely accept some additional work, whether unwarranted or not?

Cheers, Peter C. (who is happy with his as it came out the box!).

• Like 2

Given that we have had many threads grizzling about the delicate nature of modern r-t-r and the fixtures and fittings thereon, I feel that dibber 25 does have a point when people complain about details not being easy to remove. The model was, as I understand it, basically to be sold as a OO/16.5mm r-t-r model, and designed as such. Anyone who wishes to alter it from those specifications must surely accept some additional work, whether unwarranted or not? Cheers, Peter C. (who is happy with his as it came out the box!).

All fair points but if you look at the placement of the brake shoes they are more in line for P4 ;) , but I digress. My post was more in the nature of a public health warning for those who might wish to do a conversion or for 00 users who wish to service their own engines because with the brake gear glued in place, gear cover removal is, well, challenging. As one who has chosen to model in the "wider" gauges I accept that I will have more to do but it's only fair to be able to warn others of bumps in the road ahead :yes: .

Cheers,

David

• 1 month later...

A couple of weeks ago I pre-ordered a MR-007 Sentinel for delivery later this winter. However, in the interim I decided that for my purposes one of the Departmental versions would be more appropriate. I e-mailed my request for a change to my order at 09.57 this morning and received a reply at 12.11 from Kernow Model Rail Centre stating that the order had not only been changed but the replacement loco had been packed and was ready for dispatch. Now that's what I call superb service.

Arthur

Well done Arthur, I knew you'd give in to the temptation!

Patrick

Hi Pat

As I'd already received the Ultrascale wheels (no delay, straight from stock!) it seemed silly to wait and the Departmental version fits much better with my ideas for Wigmore Road Sidings. I'll smuggle it in to the next Wessex Narrow Gauge Group meeting. I might even bring some P4 track to run it on; I'll just tell them it's 7mm finescale 2'8" narrow gauge track, they'll never notice. ;)

Arthur

Edited by Arthur Budd

• RMweb Gold

I'll just tell them it's 7mm finescale 2'8" narrow gauge track

Has anyone else actually considered using the chassis as the base of a small 7mm loco ? I was hunting round for a pair of suitable locos for 'Wheal Tiny' - this little gem would have been perfect.

I wonder, is it possible / probably that Dapol will sell the chassis on it's own...?

Hi Stubby,

Sorry but Dapol dont own the tooling for clients models (unlike other manufacturers do with limited time exclusivity where the client actually ends up paying for the tooling for the manufacture to capitalise out of long term).

So you would need to contact M.R. as it's their baby to do with as they wish.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As no-one else has posted this I will do the honours. I had an email yesterday from Kernow to sat Dept. 54 has been picked for despatch in their mail room so those of you who have ordered this one should soon be getting theirs. Looking forward to recreating her infamous assault on the 1-in-49 on the NYMR with a single mark 1.