Wencombe/Kingsbridge Regis/Louville Lane

westerner

Cars in garages? It is always a surprise why people spend fifty / hundred grand on a couple of cars and leave them out in the elements along with bird dropping, snow, rain and vandals, while the garage is full of lesser value items, sometimes just junk! Especially common over here although generally the garages are much wider; at 7'6" you'd have a job to open the doors on a two door car.

Brian.

Edited by brianusa

Bogie, As Andy said, unfortunately cars have got wider and most garages were/are built for small city type cars. Even modern houses, unless they have double garages appear to have garages where it would be difficult to get out of the car once inside the garage. But as Cyril Freezer used to say cars, particularly modern ones are built to be in the open air, although when it's been frosty it would be nice not to have to scape the windows.

An update on clearing the room. Another board went to recycling this afternoon and this evening was spent sorting various bits of stuff in the railway room into piles for the tip, garage/loft and t5hose to remain in the room. Another visit to the tip tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cars in garages? It is always a surprise why people spend fifty / hundred grand on a couple of cars and leave them out in the elements along with bird dropping, snow, rain and vandals, while the garage is full of lesser value items, sometimes just junk! Especially common over here although generally the garages are much wider; at 7'6" you'd have a job to open the doors on a two door car.

Brian.

You're right about the elements Brian (and hail is a real risk in these parts), which is why I reckon a carport is best.

• RMweb Premium

Tell me, do you guys ever use garages for storing motor vehicles?

A wet car rust equally as well in a garage as it would in the open.

Nope. My car lives in the carport and the trains live in the garage.

Our car port is the hay store. The garage my son's gym.

This months meeting of the Save Wencombe and Kingsbridge Railway has been cancelled, unless we want to meet down the tip, because I think that is where the Anchor has been relocated. :cry: :cry:

Imagine if Dr Beeching could have scrapped the villages as well as their railway. Such an orderly way to proceed.

What would poor Mr Betjeman have said?

• Like 1

The final board went to the tip this morning. I'm now sorting out 12 years of assorted modelling bits and pieces, some of which I suspect I will not need again (but you never know), that's the problem. It seems the more I tidy up the more I find and the more I have to think "will I ever need this or use this again", and if I think I won't need it do I bin it, sell it or store it in the garage or attic, just in case. Oh the joys of railway modelling??!!??

• RMweb Gold

The final board went to the tip this morning. I'm now sorting out 12 years of assorted modelling bits and pieces, some of which I suspect I will not need again (but you never know), that's the problem. It seems the more I tidy up the more I find and the more I have to think "will I ever need this or use this again", and if I think I won't need it do I bin it, sell it or store it in the garage or attic, just in case. Oh the joys of railway modelling??!!??

You can guarantee, though, that if you do bin/sell/dispose of something, that will be exactly the thing you need about two weeks later!

• RMweb Premium

As mentioned in an earlier post that when demolitioning the goods shed office a stack of B&W photos were found both of Wencombe and Kingsbridge Regis. I believe they were taken by Frank Drake the local haulier and obviously avid train spotter. As I sort through them and try and tidy them up on the computer I will post them on here.

the first two that I've worked on 38xx leaving Wencombe with a mineral train.

attachicon.gif38xx B&W.jpg

and the Collett goods on a spent ballast train.

attachicon.gifCollett on ballast train.jpg

Those last two pics are a la Bradford Barton's series in the 70s. Excellent.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Those last two pics are a la Bradford Barton's series in the 70s. Excellent.

Phil

I think I was in a minority but I always thought the Bradford and Barton books were good. I am sure I have all the diesel books, and the London Transport EMU book and the industrial diesel books are still two of the most informative about their related subjects. Sadly like Wencombe and Kingsbridge they are things of the past. We have got to look to the future and see how Alan progresses with Louville Lane.

• RMweb Premium

I think I was in a minority but I always thought the Bradford and Barton books were good. I am sure I have all the diesel books, and the London Transport EMU book and the industrial diesel books are still two of the most informative about their related subjects. Sadly like Wencombe and Kingsbridge they are things of the past. We have got to look to the future and see how Alan progresses with Louville Lane.

I must be in he same minority Clive. The first editions of the BB albums were excellent, but the quality of reproduction (and paper) was much poorer in the later reprints.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As mentioned in an earlier post that when demolitioning the goods shed office a stack of B&W photos were found both of Wencombe and Kingsbridge Regis. I believe they were taken by Frank Drake the local haulier and obviously avid train spotter. As I sort through them and try and tidy them up on the computer I will post them on here.

the first two that I've worked on 38xx leaving Wencombe with a mineral train.

attachicon.gif38xx B&W.jpg

and the Collett goods on a spent ballast train.

attachicon.gifCollett on ballast train.jpg

At the risk of being controversial Alan, I always preferred Wencombe to Kingsbridge Regis.

• Like 1

At the risk of being controversial Alan, I always preferred Wencombe to Kingsbridge Regis.

I agree, in hindsight, I should have kept and persevered with Pencarne Junction, instead of ripping it up to do Pencarne, even as nice as it was in the end.

• RMweb Premium

I agree.

Kingsthingie was nine and a 'alf out of ten. Wencombe was a eleven out of ten.

With Wencombe you got that feeling you were in a sleepy village in the middle of no-where which for a few times a day burst it a frenzy of activity when the branch train met with the two passing through trains. As soon as it started the hussle and bussle dissipated back to the quite place it had been for centuries.  I know it was set in Devon but that scene was repeated all over England in the mountains of Cumbria, the fens of Norfolk and downs of Sussex. A time now lost but very well recreated by Alan.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 4

I agree.

Kingsthingie was nine and a 'alf out of ten. Wencombe was a eleven out of ten.

With Wencombe you got that feeling you were in a sleepy village in the middle of no-where which for a few times a day burst it a frenzy of activity when the branch train met with the two passing through trains. As soon as it started the hussle and bussle dissipated back to the quite place it had been for centuries.  I know it was set in Devon but that scene was repeated all over England in the mountains of Cumbria, the fens of Norfolk and downs of Sussex. A time now lost but very well recreated by Alan.

Spot on Ex Essex Man, that the was tranquil beauty of Wen, and the surrounding countryside, I still have the Mag article in my inspirations folder.

• Like 3