Wencombe/Kingsbridge Regis/Louville Lane

westerner

• RMweb Premium

OK I am now putting my serious head on for a moment.

Hi Alan

Are you getting as much, or more, fun operating Kingsbridge as you did Wencombe?

From this internet viewer's perspective, I'm still missing the Wencombe coming and goings but I am now delighted when you post new photos of Kingsbridge.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

Clive, to be honest I'm not sure. I felt that Wencombe was complete and I found the fiddle yard somewhat constraining for what I wanted to run, hence the change. It was easier to get a fiddle yard where I did not have to move whole trains on and off the layout was to have a terminus with a simple ladder fiddle yard. However of course it has meant that I have to have quite a few buildings, and as I said before not my strongest point, therefore my mojo has been coming and going.

However it is interesting and slightly awkward to operate as I imagine the station that my layout is very roughly based on, Kingswear, must have been.

Modelling mojo not helped much by warm and long light evenings. Perhaps a visit to Southwold exhibition tomorrow might help.

• Like 1

to me that gives the photo that Bradford Barton look.

To do that you'd have to ensure it was underexposed (with blown out highlights), with that vital piece of information just cropped off the edge of the frame :)

Seriously though, there are some nice pics in Bradford Barton books, but an awful lot of dross as well

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Andy. It was the first loco that I weathered with an airbrush. At the time it felt I was taking my life or at least model in my hands. To be fair it was the cheapest of my locos having bought it at the Warley show many years ago from the Bachmann stand when their checked over returns were still a reasonable price. And it still runs well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It seems some time since I posted anything. SO----------------------------- 2258 being borrowed by Newton shed whilst it was there from Taunton has been collecting spent ballast and has arrived at Kingsbridge Regis to turn round and head back to Newton.

attachicon.gif2258 arr f1.jpg

attachicon.gif2258 arr f2.jpg

attachicon.gif2258 arr f3.jpg

Great weathering on the wagons as well. Tunny and Grampus? I've tried weathering a load of Grampus (Grampii?) but I don't think they are quite up to your standard.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I found my Engineers' wagon weathering attempts. You may be tempted to get some of the Walrus but only if you fancy a challenge with the Cambrian version. It is actually a nice kit but just a bit awkward to get just right. I've got to do another 4 or 5 yet! 

The Dogfish are also a bit of a faff and TBH I'd just modify the Heljan ones in future as I'm not a purist.

What do you think?

Before 

post-2326-0-24155100-1472899255_thumb.jpg

After, but pre decals.

post-2326-0-61945000-1472899489_thumb.jpg

and with a Dogfish (Cambrian).

post-2326-0-59087200-1472899618_thumb.jpg

I stupidly did the decals after the weathering so the wet looking marks are silk varnish for the decal base. I can't remember if I have reweathered those areas as these are in store at the moment.

I think I shall finish off with a matt spray varnish  eventually as they look a bit chalky, however Meldon Ballast dust was a bit like this colour.

Presumably your ballast would have come from a WR source? Westbury or some Cornish Quarry was it?

Phil

• Like 9