Wencombe/Kingsbridge Regis/Louville Lane

westerner

• RMweb Gold

Very nice but rather sad all the same......

Absolutely and this layout inspired me to start a thread for mine.Thanks Alan, we look forward to seeing your new incarnation of the wonderful South Hams.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Rob.

I forgot to mention the pigeon train is kit built, a Chivers pigeon van and 2 kirk ex LNER (Gresley) full Brakes and Bulldog is a Silver Fox kit.

On the Stopper the first coach is a Bachmann and the next two are Replica kits.

The Bachmann and Replica coaches make a nice contrast.

• RMweb Premium

I don't think I've commented in your thread befit but I have looked in on many occasions as the layout is full of atmosphere. I like the idea of a terminus (not surprisingly) as given the space a lot of us have available, they offer a lot of operating potential.

I'm looking forward to watching it develop.

Cheers,

Jason

I have decided to drop the turntable some 4mm. This requires it being moved back by 25mm to clear a bearer under the baseboard and the jigsawed out and struts put underneath with 4mm spaces before being re-screwed to the baseboard. Hopefully will do it tomorrow and I'll take some picks.

Edited by westerner

• RMweb Premium

I have decided to drop the turntable some 4mm. This requires it being moved back by 25mm to clear a bearer under the baseboard and the jigsawed out and struts put underneath with 4mm spaces before being re-screwed to the baseboard. Hopefully will do it tomorrow and I'll take some picks.

Won't a power tool be easier than using picks?

I believe the correct term is 'progress' - as can be seen they have jacked up the engine shed and moved it to one side while it awaits to be moved to another location, and they appear to be digging the foundations for a new turntable!

I see no evidence of axing the line. :)

I must say I like your approach to the mods, this way it allows you to continue to run trains (just like the real railway used to do it), rather than the nuclear option of clearing everything.

Will watch developments with interest

Dean

As promised, some more pix (not picks)of the turntable installation.

First the hole was cut, as you can see I've had to move the turntable some 3-4 inches as I had forgotten there was a baseboard joint under where I was originally going to place it (1st red face)

post-7090-0-92820600-1422549687_thumb.jpg

Then spacers were screwed to the underside of the piece that fell out, ie the bottom of the turntable well.

post-7090-0-45719000-1422549770_thumb.jpg

Spacers were then added made of squares of 1mm plasticard.

post-7090-0-19945700-1422549809_thumb.jpg

This assembly was then screwed back from underneath.

post-7090-0-50838000-1422549900_thumb.jpg

However (2nd red face) I had over calculated how many spacers to be put in, there was almost some fruity language until I realised that if I put 3mm cork in the well and when the cork that I cut away when making my first mistake is replaced it all comes out level. The photo shows with some bits of 3mm cork under the turntable. In the background you can see part of the library that all modellers build up. Tomorrow hopefully the 3mm cark will be laid.

Edited by westerner
  • Like 7