The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Many. See here. (Former colonies, as you might expect.)

4 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets:_British_and_related_types#/media/File%3ACountries_using_type_G_(British)_AC_power_plugs_and_sockets.png
More than you may expect. One night I couldn’t sleep so was wondering the vey same question so looked it up.

A few odd ones in there such as Cambodia.

• Like 7
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

A few odd ones in there such as Cambodia.

During another insomnia episode I learnt that the Euro was an official currency of Zimbabwe.

Really must try harder to get some sleep.(or join a pub quiz team)

Goodnight again.

Robert

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well after today’s activities, that is another large item that no longer resides in the cellar. However, before I could move the drawer unit, I had to empty it, then modify it because years ago, (possibly 20 years ago) I fitted a small cupboard above the drawers, the cupboard was made up of offcuts of MDF etc and was only supposed to a temporary fix! Once that had been removed, I gave the carcass and drawers thorough clean as it had been partially submerged when we were flooded back in 2012. I did clean back then, but I thought that I might as well give it another clean whilst I have it in bits, before moving it to it to the shed. However, removing the cupboard meant that it no longer had a top, but I had an off cut of kitchen worktop which was just big enough, so that was trimmed to size ready for fitting permanent, once I had got it in place in the shed. 

After dinner I took the drawer carcass to the shed and put it into place, fitted the worktop and finally put back the drawers! I then gathered all my power tools and put them on the shelves in the shed, freeing up some space in the workshop. Finally I returned to the cellar and had swept the floor and cleaned down the trestle table, ready for when Charlie comes round tomorrow afternoon. There is only one large item to move, an old cupboard which will eventually go in the garden, once I’ve modified it. After that it is just a case of taking all the useful offcuts to the workshop, the rest will get chucked. I have a box that stuff destined for the tip goes and it is getting quite full, so I feel another tip run coming soon! It has probably been over 40 years since the cellar has been this clear! More to do tomorrow. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Here is my evidence. 

A2AAE720-9278-4722-BA87-75D94524FB9E.png.2ada9e054f1c5d532ad289554ea054e8.png

• Like 5
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

going posh on frying pans

We seem to have quite a few makes. A couple of Circulon, a Le Creuset crepe pan and an omelette pan that I thought was Tefal but Aditi said isn’t, We have a sauté pan that is definitely Tefal. They are all non stick and have remained non stick. 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Australian outlets (other than being switched per code and having angled prong receptacles) are little different structurally than US outlets (similarly sized conductors etc) yet are designed for 240V RMS. UK outlets and plugs are over designed.

7 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

The Swiss have a three pin variant of the general european two pin plug which looks like a razor plug in the UK; the pin spacings are very slightly different. In Switzerland, what would occupy the space in the UK of a single mains outlet comprises three of their 3-pin sockets arranged as an equilateral triangle.

Ever since I moved away from the UK (decades ago) and lived in other countries using different electrical systems, I’ve always wondered why the UK system seems so unnecessarily complicated. And some of the UK requirements seem - after seeing what is done in mainland Europe - a little bit odd/unnecessary.  Take, for example, the prohibition against accessible light switches inside the bathroom (unless ceiling mounted and turned on and off by pulling a cord).  There is no such prohibition in Switzerland, yet you do not hear stories of the Swiss frying themselves in the bathroom after a particularly abundant shower or bath.

I wonder if the British approach to (at least domestic) electrical rules and regulations are down to the fact that Britain was one of the first countries to provide electricity to homes and it was very much “learning on the job“; and those countries that started providing electricity domestically at a later time point learned from what the pioneering Brits did right (and what they did wrong)?

10 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Plus, most of the flavor is in the fat; at least for me. I did not know (or maybe remember) about the feeling satiated sooner with the fat left on…

Obviously, fat should be properly cooked for it to be both edible and digestible, but you are quite right - a lot of the flavour of meat lies in the fat (which is why I despair of Swiss butchery as every single piece of meat is stripped of every single trace of fat and so ultra-lean that if you don’t know how to cook meat properly it ends up dry, leathery and tasteless.  As dinners with those friends who buy this completely denuded of fat meat have shown).

One final bit of trivia: when predators bring down their prey in the wild the first thing that gets eaten are all the fatty internal organs.

9 hours ago, Andrew P said:

in and out before my allotted time. :good: (of the X Ray unit, not the nurse I hasten to add).:nono:

A missed opportunity??? :jester:

9 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Baz, we can commiserate tomorrow. I have an appointment tomorrow. Apparently (per X-ray) I have developed a cavity under a 19 year-old crown and need a cracked filling replaced.

All very expensive. In the cleaning/examination/X-ray appointment last week I learned that the open marketplace dental insurance I have been paying for is not accepted by my dentist. Much physical and financial discomfort will be involved. At least modern dental anesthesia is much more effective than the bad old days.

8 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Work on a crown could possibly put you into the top charge band for NHS dentistry here in England. No idea about Wales or  Scotland. About £280.

I have been rather lucky with the bad luck I have had with two of my teeth. The first incident was when a granuloma developed under a perfectly sound tooth and had to be removed - which meant I lost a healthy tooth and, as a result, got fitted with a permanent bridge; The second was when a molar developed an abscess, again underneath the tooth and the resulting treatment and cleanup of the area meant that I ended up having a prosthesis implanted. The first tooth was sorted out about 30 years ago and the second tooth was replaced by the prothesis 25 years ago. The first operation cost me about SFr.4000 and the second about SFr.6000 (God knows what that is the equivalent to nowadays, but it will be a lot)  Both have performed flawlessly and have never needed any attention since they were first installed (beyond the usual yearly deep clean). However I paid out of my own pocket for both and although it was a good chunk of money I paid out, the longevity and the quality more than compensated for the temporary dent to my wallet.  Removing a few bob from one’s  wallet, I would argue, is infinitely preferable to removing a few teeth from one’s mouth!

My dentist, who I first went to for the preparation and installation of the prothesis over 25 years ago, still looks the same age as he did when we first met. And his enthusiasm for technology and being at the cutting edge of dental surgery has not diminished by one iota. When I recently had an ageing and cracked crown (installed in the US in the early 80s) replaced, he did a 3D scan of my upper and lower jaw to ensure that the crown would be made to fit perfectly. He also said, as we looked at the 3-D scans together, that he was looking forward to dental materials technology getting to the point where he could 3-D print a crown or a bridge using 3-D scanning as the starting point. As my dentist is younger than me, and seems to be in no hurry to retire, it looks that I will be saved from becoming edentulous for quite a few years yet.

And on that toothsome note I bid you a great Thursday.

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

A brief post to note that it looks like a nice sunny day out there this morning.

Hoping to get tomorrow afternoon off to enjoy the sun and spend a bit of time in my garden. 

Andy

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

What is this country coming to?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/15595227/yob-flare-bum-strolled-into-wembley/

I hope Darwin’s principles come into effect.

Robert

A flare inserted properly should do the trick, after it'd been subjected to the business-end of a ram-rod of course....

7 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Later on the same trip, I'm on the right hand lane passing  a line of parked cars and vans... What pulls out from behind the transit van coming towards me? A motorised skate board complete with headlamps, he got a good blast of the horn from the landrover.. I definitely need a better horn for it though.

Or a decent set of Bull-bars on the front.  Someone my Boss knew had a railway sleeper on the front of his Landrover in place of a bumper.

In other news:

The G word today, to include hedge cutting and weeding; all assisted by buddy next door.  Not fun, but feels great when it's done.

Bear still hasn't ordered the Hob splashback yet - MUST do that today; favoured choices are as follows:

image.png.3966087017d4d8493c3799fed329b67a.png

Or:

image.png.2629af88a032427b729cb1ce0f4047c0.png

Or:

image.png.9a237b80da49d2e887524b89ea13367d.png

The last option (Venice) has a five week order time, whereas the first two are 7-14 days.  Decisions, decisions.  Any thoughts from the Wisdom of ER?  Worktops are basically black, with white units and pale blue walls, incidentally.

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Here's my evidence:

Screenshot_2021-07-14-22-25-17.png.d22cae2c72404cf0f2ded503aa3c97f9.png

Android tablet.

Now ain't that weird! Are you from another planet that can be both in the future and today at the same time?

Answers on a jet stream please, Via Galactica.:P

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 5
  • Funny 8