The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Southern Oregon is home to the largest wildfire in the US right now - currently well over 200,000 acres. I mentioned visible wavelength satellite animations the other day. CNN published a dramatic one today.

Apparently the smoke is making conditions in Boise, ID and Salt Lake City, UT miserable.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

5 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Southern Oregon is home to the largest wildfire in the US right now - currently well over 200,000 acres. I mentioned visible wavelength satellite animations the other day. CNN published a dramatic one today.

Apparently the smoke is making conditions in Boise, ID and Salt Lake City, UT miserable.

Here in GH we must live a charmed existence; our current temp is around 75 old degrees.  Just over the Cascades in Yakima its in the 100s.  It pays to live near the sea!

Brian.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

have developed a cavity under a 19 year-old crown and need a cracked filling replaced.

Work on a crown could possibly put you into the top charge band for NHS dentistry here in England. No idea about Wales or  Scotland. About £280.

• Like 7
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

8 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Here in GH we must live a charmed existence; our current temp is around 75 old degrees.

Today, northwest Oregon is much the same. It's 75°F / 24°C now and shouldn't get higher than 79°F / 26°C. Quite lovely (and 'normal' for this time of year).  East of the Cascades is hotter.

• Like 16

4 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Work on a crown could possibly put you into the top charge band for NHS dentistry here in England. ... About £280.

I could choose a gold or porcelain (more cosmetic) crown. It's in the back and out of sight so I'll go with gold which is slightly more malleable and slightly less expensive. I was quoted an (uninsured) estimate of slightly north of $1,300.00.

Even with insurance, things like crowns are expensive since costs for the first major treatment gets applied to the deductible, unlike preventative cleanings which are usually fully covered. Once the deductible is satisfied, insurance would cover most of the rest - except for cosmetic treatments.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

My crowns were done as private jobs.  All were required after chunks of the teeth in question broke off arising from the fractional movement over time of amalgam fillings.  £210 apiece.  I won't say any are the very best dentistry but I'm happy enough and didn't have to offer any limbs let alone first-borns.  I don't have dental insurance and the Transport Benevolent Fund which I contribute to covers almost anything you can think of - except dentistry!  

In other news the day finally became warm and sunny after another cool breezy morning during which I questioned - several times - both the wisdom of the seaweed-wranglers and that of me wearing nowt but a short-sleeve shirt.  All was well in the end though I could have been a tad warmer for comfort at times.  

The Hill of Strawberries is a festival of leaf-growing after heavy rain and with adequate temperatures.  Among the leaves we have managed to find a few quite good-sized (and very good-tasting) courgettes and beans.  The tomatoes are looking like a bumper crop though are a week or three away yet.  If the promised hot sunny weather arrives the first may ripen across the weekend.  

Once again there was only a single stripe on the test strips today meaning we are allowed out to play for the next three days.  Provided we don't get pinged.  The nails are being bitten somewhat as we approach our booked holiday because it is now only ten days away.  We also have a cat-feeder as my sister has offered her services and is looking forward to a few days of being parked by the river with a book.  Provided she doesn't get pinged for the third time in a month.  

There continues to be movement as our student neighbours prepare to depart for worlds anew.  Another left today; top flat departs on Friday.  There are upcoming vacancies of anyone fancies a move to these environs.  The currently-vacant flats have attracted a lot of viewings but no takers so far.  We know one has had its rent slightly reduced.  The other is already advertised at a cheaper rent than ours.  Mutter mutter.  

Time for bed.  As a well-known spring-mounted children's tv character was famed for saying.  Page 10000 will occur tomorrow.  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
Just now, leopardml2341 said:

Eh? Aren't we on page 10012 already.

#confused

Or maybe just tired; goodnight folks.

My version shows page 9997.  Other opinions may be available ;) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 17
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Gwiwer said:

My version shows page 9997.  Other opinions may be available ;) 

So does mine! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Premium

Need to return for some filling rebuilding. 2 Xrays taken today plus  the checks cost £22

The fillings plus a clean will be £65. Not bad at all.

Moved various unmentionable items around a set of preset pieces of nickel silver...very nice but very warm...

Good win for England tonight..(Womwn Cricketers of course).

Baz

• Like 18

Good Evening Awl, for it is just still thus.

A quieter day in respect of incoming news but, nonetheless, an interesting one with thoughts still directed appropriately.

Elsewhere:

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Australian outlets (other than being switched per code and having angled prong receptacles) are little different structurally than US outlets (similarly sized conductors etc) yet are designed for 240V RMS. UK outlets and plugs are over designed.

The Swiss have a three pin variant of the general european two pin plug which looks like a razor plug in the UK; the pin spacings are very slightly different. In Switzerland, what would occupy the space in the UK of a single mains outlet comprises three of their 3-pin sockets arranged as an equilateral triangle.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium

Several other countries use British plugs and sockets and of course 230/240 Volts. Malta and Barbados do and I believe the Irish Republic and Cyprus do so as well. Does anyone know of any other countries that do?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 7