The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

As others have already said, I hope today’s news is nothing like that of yesterday, we can all do without days like that!

Another sunny start to the day here in England’s northwest, although it is not quite as sunny as yesterday, it is a little warmer and according to the app on my phone, there isn’t any rain due for at least a week and the temperatures are due to rise daily! 

The plan for today is to empty and modify the drawer unit in the cellar before it is moved to the shed and if I have time, put it in the shed as well. When that is done I will have just 1 cupboard in the cellar, which is going to be recycled into a piece of garden furniture, which will eventually be used to hide the outside tap and hosepipe. When that is done, the cellar will be empty apart from a few offcuts of MDF and flooring, which I will move to the workshop :yahoo: :dancer::locomotive:

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for today, back later. 

Brian

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Rather overcast and breezy here. 
Only our garden waste wheelie bin remains to be emptied. I didn’t notice the other recycling going earlier, perhaps I was asleep. 
I think we may go to the pharmacy to collect a prescription later today. The latest government “advice” to those of us on the vulnerable list is to go at quieter times. Also included is advice to avoid people who haven’t been double vaccinated and unmasked people. So not much change then!
Tony

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Morning/Afternoon All (I’m posting at the cusp of midday, so my post may be either ante-meridian or post-meridian).

Today’s weather started out rather sunny, but now the grey clouds have closed in and it has started to rain. Which is fine by me, as I have to get back to work at 6 pm for a 7 pm teleconference (it’s a complete bu99er to be summoned in by the client, but there you are. still, it’s all pennies in the piggybank).

I note that GrandadBob reports that he is getting nowhere with his diet,  despite, so he claims, cutting back on everything. I said “so he claims“ not because I doubt his veracity (far from it), but because – as I have experienced myself – unless you weigh and record everything you eat, you think that you are eating much less than you actually are eating. Before I started my diet a few years back (-30 kg and counting) I kept a very strict and brutally honest food consumption diary  to see what I was consuming. To say that I was shocked and horrified at the outcome is very much an understatement. A biscuit here, a handful of peanuts there, a piece of cake and a cup of coffee, a snack or two…..well it all adds up and then you add proper meals on top. Definitely Not Good!  

Every person has a different metabolism, so what works for me may not work for anyone else. But I went on a low carbohydrate diet which was successful for two reasons: firstly, it takes advantage of how the body metabolises food and energy reserves and secondly I ate a lot more fat than carbohydrate in my diet than conventional dieting wisdom deems appropriate. However, by not cutting out fat (e.g. leaving the fat on a nice grilled steak) you end up being satiated much quicker and for longer (after eating 150 g of slow roast pork belly I am full to the brim and satiated and will remain so for a good 6 - 7 hours; after 150 g of pasta I will be hungry again in only a couple of hours). 

A number of posters on ER are dealing with Type II Diabetes and many have recounted that they have had to fight against out of date “conventional wisdom“ about diet in order to effectively manage their disease. As John Maynard Keynes reportedly said when challenged on why he changed his opinion he replied “ When the facts change I change my mind .What do you do sir?“”

I’m now off to do something I haven’t done for quite a long while: take an afternoon nap. After which I will take out all the guitar effects pedals that I bought over Christmas (which are still boxed!) and see about starting to put my bespoke pedal board together.

Enjoy hump day

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
Getting my Latin correct
  • Like 17
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, grandadbob said:

I do actually record and weigh everything I eat and drink, even if it's only a few peanuts (which currently I'm avoiding).

This does cause some annoyance to Management when food is being dished up! :whistle: 

I am honest enough to admit that sometimes I exceed the limits I have set myself.

Well done, Bob!

Quite frankly, to measure and weigh everything (I also keep a record not only of kcalories consumed but also of grams of carbohydrate) is a complete and total PITA. But certainly better than guesswork. Fortunately, there are some great iPhone apps to help you with this.

I found that the next step, after recording consumption (grams of food, grams of carbohydrate, kilocalories et cetera) is to start looking very carefully at the contents of commercially prepared food. Given that every food manufacturer does things differently, it really does pay in the long run to be “label savvy”. As Gertrude Stein might have (not) said: “a biscuit is not a biscuit is not a biscuit“ even something as simple as a digestive biscuit can vary in the amount of carbohydrates fats and sugar it contains -  depending on the manufacturer’s recipe. Careful review of labels has, at least for me, produced some interesting surprises: fruit yoghurt for breakfast? Definitely not (too much sugar); sausage and scrambled egg for breakfast? Definitely (very low in carbohydrates, rich in fat and protein).

Finally, to leave you with a thought: sometime ago I read about an extremely rare metabolic disease whereby the individual afflicted has a very hard time in maintaining their weight as their metabolism was so (for want of a better term) “hyper” that even eating numerous incredibly large, high calorie, meals a day (meals that would have a normal person piling on the pounds) would see them continue to lose weight. An “overclocked” metabolism must be incredibly unpleasant to live with, but if you could reproduce that metabolic disorder with a drug (and which would disappear as soon as you stopped taking that medication), you could make a fortune.

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, petethemole said:

a largely sleepless night

While that is an embuggerance I also suffer from occasionally - though less often than was once the case - it could be worse. 

Spill chucker suggested “a large sleepless knight”

:jester:

• Funny 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

large sleepless knight

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21469048-sleepless-knight

A pallet load of boxes arrived shortly after I posted.  The contents have been taken to the back garden green thing to await erec  putting up.  We first have to deflate and pack up the spa pool and source a heater for the new one.  The pool came from USA so we have to get one for UK voltage.

Nearly time for lunch and hanging washing out.

Stay elfy.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

SWMBO was also told by the RAF she was underweight, despite being the same weight as she joined  up some years before.

36 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

US mains voltage is only 120 v it always sounds puny to out 230v.

Not quite, in the USA for high power uses like washing machines, some sockets are fed with 120V on the live wire with another phase on the neutral wire so giving the equivalent of 230V.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2