The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

6 hours ago, pH said:

Before and after (actually ‘after and before’) of the Main Street in Lytton:

Very reminiscent of last summer's wildfires in the Santiam Canyon, in particular Detroit, Oregon.

With the dry conditions, many municipalities have banned fireworks in anticipation of the upcoming holiday on Sunday. There won't be much of a meaningful enforcement of the ban.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, brianusa said:

You could be deader than a dodo in between!  Surely the much vaunted NHS could do better.

Recent problem:  Go outside.:mellow:  Fall down:o. Break hip.:mad: Call EMT.:unsure: Go to hospital:unknw_mini:.  Go to bed:sad_mini2:. Wake up, hip fixed.:biggrin_mini2:  Now the long rehab begins!:unknw_mini:  A little less than twelve hours, all on our insurance for which we pay a hefty premium but its worth it for the service.

Brian.

UK

Go outside.:mellow:  Fall down:o. Break hip.:mad: Call 999.:unsure: Go to hospital:unknw_mini:.  Go to bed:sad_mini2:. Wake up, hip fixed.:biggrin_mini2:  Now the long rehab begins!:unknw_mini:  A little less than twelve hours, all free on the NHS. Not me ... but emergency treatment in the UK is still very quick.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Some of them figured out ways to beat the heat:

CNN: Watch bears take a dip as temperatures soar

(First segment is quite close to @pH.)

I’ve seen this clip on the BBC and it’s a lovely image, but the smile quickly disappears when you realise that’s a lucky family and other creatures aren’t going to be so fortunate.

I feel a rant about global warming, new build coal fired power stations and cheap foreign imports coming so I better get up and have my breakfast.

Robert

• Like 13
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis was in full song this morning but quietened down as soon as I started moving about. Congratulations to our young tennis players, Emma Raducanu and Dan Evans. Hopefully they will get nearer to the final than previous British players (not forgetting Andy Murray of course). Most of you are aware that I am not a footie fan but the Euro final will be on my birthday. I might try to get up some enthusiasm but don't hold your breath.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Petrol prices, OPEC severely  cut production because of COVID reducing demand, they haven't had a new meeting to increase production since.. Meanwhile due to Covid maintenance on refineries has also suffered, and it will take time to get them fully back on line.. So for now the petrol prices are climbing rapidly.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

8 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

Today's coverage was far better than I'd dared hope . It ran through one of my favourite parts of France, the region where the Cher runs into the Loire that the late Dennis Allenden simply described as "Michelin 64".  There was a long section of route running alongside the electrified Tours-Vierzon main line (which like many such lines in France is unfenced!)   On the bit I was interested in, the official Tour timing sheet hadn't for some reason noted the Terre-Neuve PN (level crossing) on the preserved section of the metre gauge Blanc Argent.  SABA had duly parked a steam hauled train there with one of the Paul Frot Corpet-Louvet 020T (0-4-0 tank) contractor's locos that used to be on the Baie de Somme line in its earlier years as a preserved line and it got good TV coverage. Closer to Valençay,  the route ran parallel to the metre gauge line that SABA are now operating though the railcar set that ran slowly alongside the Peleton was in SNCF/TER livery.

To top it off Mark Cavendish got his second stage win!    

Update

The autorail X240 that I saw running alongside the Peleton has actually been with SABA since 2019 but has not been reliveried. I've just been watching a French video of a trip on the public line from Salbris to Valencay and, though SABA also use the station, their lines are very firmly separated from the  rest of the system by physical barriers. The first time I visited Valencay, in the 1980s, I saw a metre gauge goods train being made up- the line used to carry a lot of grain in converted covered wagons. 

This is all getting a bit too much chemin de fer for ER so I shall say good morning and hope you all have a good day and an excellent weekend. I'm supposed to be going to an open air theatre production tomorrow but the Met. Office may have other ideas.  

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1