The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

One of the receptionists at the local surgery is downright objectionable.

I dare say one or two the patients are too!    

And, if they don't watch their step, I'll be another objectionable patient to add to their list ...

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, chrisf said:

Only one?

Chris

At our surgery I have seen patients being unpleasant but never the staff. There was one some  years ago who wasn’t quite so good but she was soon moved to a non patient facing post. When I had to phone schools some reception staff were really bad at answering  the phone or taking messages. Headteachers often were protective of their office staff but I used to suggest they tried phoning in from a non internal phone line and ask to speak to themselves. I learned this from the head of the first school I worked in when he started getting complaints about rude office staff. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I've never had any problem booking appointments at my GP surgery as I usually go in in person as the surgery is a few minutes walk from my house. Mind you I haven't needed to book an appointment since covid began except for the jabs and that was simply a case of phoning the surgery to fix an appointment. I wasn't even told not to turn up early for my jabs but when I did about half an hour early for my second jab I was able to go straight in after my details had been checked. There were no queues but they were busy.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Good evening, here's a photo that might interest our resident @leopardml2341. I've just uploaded it on ,y new American Railroads thread and though he might be interested.

726876722_Slides1978A-1004.jpg.3d12212cbae2a31ac023411644f6f123.jpg

Outside Manchester Victoria Station 2nd June 1978 waiting to set off to the airport.

Jamie

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1

17 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

I order my normal medication electronically on Patient Access in the interweb,

That was the App to which I referred!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

10 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Sorry to appear ignorant, but what is a chicken parma? 

American chicken parmigiana (it is found in "Italian" restaurants but I doubt very much it is remotely Italian in origin) is essentially a sautéed chicken cutlet baked with a parmesan cheese topping and then covered in marinara, and can be delicious if quite unhealthy.

The mind boggles at the vomit substitute that would fill a Four 'n' twenty frozen pie.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 10

4 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

For those who may have an interest in ice hockey (I don't particularly, but Minnesota is ice hockey country),

It's the law isn't it? (A bit like those north of the 49th parallel eh?)

What did Minnesotans do during hockey season when the North Stars left for Dallas*? (Or more precisely, the sports segment on the 10:00 o'clock late news?)

* I'm still surprised they didn't call themselves "Lone Stars" and went with the plainer "Stars" instead.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

American chicken parmigiana (it is found in "Italian" restaurants but I doubt very much it is remotely Italian in origin) is essentially a sautéed chicken cutlet baked with a parmesan cheese topping and then covered in marinara, and can be delicious if quite unhealthy.

The mind boggles at the vomit substitute that would fill a Four 'n' twenty frozen pie.

Yes but it would be angels vomit.

"Chicken Parma" (or "Chicken Parmy" - there are regional differences in our dialects here...) is Australian for "pub lunch" cos the $10 chicken parmy and chips is pretty much what everyone gets.

Imagine this,baked in  a pie!

image.png.d3574d441d4f8b8c03a4b3b064cd8909.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

The only problem I;ve had recently is getting through on the 'phone in the mornings - simple answer was to walk to the surgery and go in to make an appointment through the ever helpful receptionists (booking appointments online doesn't seem to be active). 

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I've never had any problem booking appointments at my GP surgery as I usually go in in person as the surgery is a few minutes walk from my house.

Our surgery has got that one covered;  On one occasion whilst waiting to be granted access into the Stallag Luft Surgery to collect my meds there was a person communicating with reception via the oh so discrete, patient confidential, special intercom (the whole village can hear the conversation ....).  He wanted to go in to book an appointment.  He was told he had to phone up for an appointment ......

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

They stopped handling paper prescriptions at the start of Lockdown 1 and all of that is now done online - highly efficient and usually quicker than either of the previous methods

All very handy if you are fit, able and have the wherewithal to do so BUT not everyone has or can so this can't be the ONLY way can it? (but that harks back to a previous ER discussion).

1 hour ago, JohnDMJ said:

ECHO and 24 Hr Tape to follow up.

I've been referred 3 time in recent weeks for this.   

My appointment is over a month away and it's a telephone appointment ... could be tricky.

Also:

With regard to the pre-recorded warning waffle we are all now endlessly subjected to when calling all sorts of organisations.   Well, I've got what I think is a good idea. 

Why don't we (well, they) just cut the carp and we'll all just take it as red that "yes there's a global pandemic still on", "that everyone is working very hard", we know that our call is "very important", we know they "are very busy right now why not try phoning later",  yes we'll visit the FAQ page of their carpy website if we can and if we think it will help and we also know "it's not whoever's  fault that something can't be done or got"? -   We don't have to be dictated to told this every time we make a phone call do we?

Of course, with my Cynical Pants on I might suspect that all these organisations are actually in cahoots and getting a backhander from the telecom companies for unnecessarily extending calls ....  Perish the thought!

• Like 9
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

"Chicken Parma" (or "Chicken Parmy" - there are regional differences in our dialects here...) is Australian for "pub lunch"

Yes and no.  "Chicken in pyjamas" as Chicken Parmagiana was known to some places local to us is only one option.  the "Counter Meal" or "Countery" is indeed a usually cheap but cheerfully filling meal served at pub counters / bars.  Parma is a standard option but so is pie and chips or mac(aroni) and cheese.  Chicken parma is also a standard available from pizza takeaways as it can be put through the pizza oven along with the chips and out it comes the other end freshly unfrozen (!!) and ready to enjoy.  Our local would do parma and chips so large that we often shared one happily between us.  With free sauce too. 

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

"Chicken Parma" (or "Chicken Parmy" - there are regional differences in our dialects here...) is Australian for "pub lunch" cos the $10 chicken parmy and chip is pretty much what everyone gets.

The Surf Club chicken parm is good value after a day on the beach. In the US it's usually served with a side of pasta and marinara, rather than chips.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

It makes me laugh, I order my normal medication electronically on Patient Access in the interweb, which they approve electronically - then a courier takes the scripts in a van the half a mile to the three in town pharmacies!  It's 2021 guys!  This worked OK until my current issues arose, for which they won't issue the meds on Patient Access, he wants to 'keep track'.....but its him that approves it anyway.  Back to words failing me.

Bear uses the local Chemist in the village - it used to be independent (owned by the Chemist himself) then was sold to Boots.  I'm lucky in that they submit the scripts when required, and Bear gets a text message when they're due to be collected.  Seems to run like clockwork.  In fairness I don't have to chop and change meds as some do, though I do often change when I need the next one to arrive - and what items I need.

However, the one thing that does really, really p1ss me off is the level of packaging.  Once upon a time (in my lifetime) the Chemist would have a big bottle of pills that he would dispense into little plastic bottles using clever triangular stainless steel measuring gadgets (I'm sure a certain Punk Rocker knows what I mean...), sticks a label on the bottle and away you go.  Now the prescription is often made up off site (Liverpool?) - the pills are in annoying plastic trays, in cardboard boxes, then sealed in plastic bags, then shipped hundreds of miles to the store, then the plastic bags are put into paper bags and handed over.

No wonder we're filling up the world with sh1t.  I wonder how many of those plastic pill trays are used and chucked every year? 

Then Bear spends ages popping the bl00dy pills out (and getting sore paws in the process), tipping them into a plastic pill bottle I've had for years.  But hey, that's progress.  Where's Greta Thunberg when you need her??

Rant Over.

1 hour ago, JohnDMJ said:

I recently received a letter from the GP to say that I had missed a telephone consultation! (Yes, the 'phone rang but I couldn't swipe the answer button quick enough!)

Bear has discovered that the swipe screens on mobile phones are less than responsive when you have wet paws - and even frantically drying them off can be hit and miss as it seems that even low levels of dampness can screw things up.  And why does it always seem to happen for those very important phone calls?

51 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

If I didn't have to work, then it would have been a good day to sit in the back garden and do very little. Roll on retirement...

:rofl:

Retirement = working harder than you ever did.

- though you get to choose what on. 

Most of the time

Some of the time

SWMBO permitting.....

• Like 12
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

9 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Yes and no.  "Chicken in pyjamas" as Chicken Parmagiana was known to some places local to us is only one option.  the "Counter Meal" or "Countery" is indeed a usually cheap but cheerfully filling meal served at pub counters / bars.  Parma is a standard option but so is pie and chips or mac(aroni) and cheese.  Chicken parma is also a standard available from pizza takeaways as it can be put through the pizza oven along with the chips and out it comes the other end freshly unfrozen (!!) and ready to enjoy.  Our local would do parma and chips so large that we often shared one happily between us.  With free sauce too. 

Pie and chips and macaroni and cheese must be a Victorian thing because I haven't seen them here, btu then again I've never seen pickled onions sold in takeaways before I went down to Victoria. Here if you want to be all individual you can order $10 Steak and chips or $10 fish and chips, which is often sold as Barra(mundi) but is usually shark.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

Wet hands and smartphones dont work well @polybear. As someone who worked outside in all weather's it did get difficult to answer the phone in bad weather especially when i had to put my litter pickers and bag down gloves off then answer the phone.

I get my medication in blister packs from the chemist, the chemist has used a different brand of blister pack on the monthly prescription i have started today. The trouble is some of the little tablets get stuck in the corners of the blisters

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Although I can pop into my GP's surgery to make an appointment I have on some occasions phoned up to get an appointment and I've never had any problems. Only drawback is they don't do blood tests, patients have to go to the hospital for those. The muntjacs are quiet tonight, perhaps they don't like the rain. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, New Haven Neil said:

Aaagh those bl**dy pill blister packs - one I get is capsules full of white dusty stuff (scientific, eh!) but the blister packs are so stiff, to get it out it crushes the capsule and white dusty stuff escapes like DCC magic smoke.  Drives me mad - especially as I have arthritic fingers.  Yes, it's for arthritis.....pah!

Even the solid white tablets can disintegrate when being removed from blister packs.

• Agree 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

We blessedly had a little rain, but not nearly enough to reverse the drought which locally is now rated "severe".

As I started my walk it began to rain. Shortly after I had arranged the hood of my rain coat it stopped faster than it started and the sun was shining by the time I was heading home. After I was home it rained a little more consistently, which was nice. Hopefully it will soften the ground a bit so I can pull all the weeds that are laughing at me a little more easily.

It was a big change from recent weather. Today is about 14°C and might see a high of 18°C. Sunday was 28°C.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1