The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

My last day at school coincided with my 18th Birthday..so we went to the pub and had a legal drink with the staff..then off home on my last free bus ride home.

Baz

• Like 17

1 minute ago, jonny777 said:

My best theory is that one of the local marauding cats decided to jump onto the shed roof, but misjudged things somewhat and collided with the 5 inch rain gauge.  

I would have thought the wind might have blown an inanimate (rather than feline) projectile into it, which then blew on to somewhere else.

What was the wind speed before impact?

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

My youngest niece “graduated” from nursery earlier this year. All socially distanced of course but just like a tiny version of a university graduation. 

Was "Pomp and Circumstance" (Elgar) played? It is ubiquitous at graduations in the US. We even had it at my university commencement in Australia.

The "graduation" ceremonies at the end of nursery/kindergarten, primary/elementary and middle school are a bit over the top. The end of high school is significant enough to be worthy of commemoration.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Dr. SWMBO has reminded me that one reason I might have difficulty with things like music is that I see everything in isolation.  So each chord is an entirely separate and unrelated entity in my Aspy brain and doesn't relate to its Major, Minor, Diminshed, 7th, Suspended 9th or whatever.  That makes learning such things very much harder than it may be for many other people.

My earlier example of learning (or rather of not learning) Latin is the same - each word is in ints own unique space and my brain cannot relate it to other cases or tenses.  If you understand the biochemistry of the Asperger brain you might be able to say why - I can't.   

Oh boy has that been frustrating for the past very many years.  

I hadn't thought of myself as Aspergers, but I hit 5 of the 10 traits I have just looked up - but not heavily.  Mild case then.  Interesting.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Was "Pomp and Circumstance" (Elgar) played? It is ubiquitous at graduations in the US. We even had it at my university commencement in Australia.

The "graduation" ceremonies at the end of nursery/kindergarten, primary/elementary and middle school are a bit over the top. The end of high school is significant enough to be worthy of commemoration.

I don’t know. I will ask my sister in law. She was present (only one parent permitted) for the event in the car park of the nursery. It had been delayed from an earlier occasion due to someone testing positive for Covid. I suspect my niece has forgotten nursery already, she is very keen on school.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Barry O said:

...snip... strangely one of the major suppliers for the new turret is the self same one who has declared obsolete on some of their existing kit.. so RM must be paying them megabucks for new kit .

Baz

Or the payoffs are in.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Meanwhile,  in our neck of the woods we have seen positive test levels go from 2 to 8 in a few days...as has the area next door...booze or schools???

Baz

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Evening all, funny old day, dropped SWMBO off at the hairdressers, then mucked about in the garden until summoned for the return journey, got there to find a chair waiting for me, so my shearing took place, not been cut for almost 14 months, think Simon King from the Hairy Bikers tv show, now looking like a shorn sheep lol.

Think of the money you've saved in those 14 months by not having your ears lowered...

In other news:

A visit to the Co-op proved unexciting, though Bear somehow managed it without getting wet.  Great restraint was shown when Bear spied a Galaxy Ripple Indulgent Choccy Cake on the clearace shelf, as it's "best before" date had been reached; normally a tenner (that's three LDC's - and a pack of four sweetie bars - kit kat etc. that usually appear on a regular basis) but on sale at a little over four quid:

https://shop.coop.co.uk/product/95ef36d3-c136-40ba-ab26-d58cd148b135

- thinking about it now I'm glad I resisted - the LDC option would've been a much better (and nicer) deal.

This evening saw the packing up of some items sold on the 'bay - a bit of a pain to do, but sixty-odd quid into the kitchen fund.  Bear isn't short of packing materials as I spent the last year of employment collecting such items from work by skip-diving. :laugh:

Tomorrow?  Let's see now....ah yes, a kitchen to fit....  Still, Bear is enjoying it as it's the bit I've been looking forward to for months - light at the end of the tunnel at last.

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

...snip... When I worked in transport there were always 4 or more dot matrix printers in the office ideal for printing delivery notes using triplicate paper. Even in soundproof cases they were still noisy. ...snip...

You think that a dot matrix is noisy, just try a daisy wheel printer!

• Like 4
  • Agree 14

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Or the payoffs are in.

One of Bear's work buddies visited a supplier just before chrimbo one year - he arrived to discover one of our Project Managers was also visiting - and the supplier was in the process of loading up the boot of her car with booze and a hamper....

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I happen to like that piece and have it on record somewhere.

I attended my best friend's daughter's high school graduation and his son's elementary and junior high graduations live and his senior high graduation via Facebook Live. Pleasant experiences all.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Not long after I’d posted this morning, the weather turned and it started to rain again, it’s been on and off all day since. 

I managed to get all the wiring altered and the sockets connected up just before dinner, although dinner was a little later than usual as Sheila got up later than planned. Although, to be honest, I’ve only fitted 1 socket, the other 5 have the wiring installed and connected to a choc block, which was then wrapped in lots of insulation tape ready for when the plastering takes place. The only outstanding task left is to move the wiring for the dinning room wall lights, this will be disconnected from the distribution board, pulled back to the cellar, threaded through the holes in the floor joists and then reconnected to the distribution board. I didn’t have time to do this today. 

Once I’d finished and tidied up, I put the remains of the cable and any other un-used bits back in the shed. On my way back to the house, I righted the 2 toppled pot plants. 

This evening saw me complete a later than normal (due to the ban collar day) Sainsbury’s Grand Prix. Nothing out of the ordinary, 99% of customers were wearing masks. However, I did notice that all the roadside bars I pass, which have tables outside, were a little quieter than of late, perhaps the punters didn’t want to get wet!

I hated school, I couldn’t wait to leave, but to be honest, it was probably the teaching method that I disliked to most. When it came to our final exams, we were told that once we’d completed our last exam, we could go home and we didn’t need to go back if we didn’t want to. I didn’t need telling twice and I never went in for the last day either, by then I’d got a part time job in a butchers and was earning myself a bit of pocket money. 

When I got my apprenticeship and went to college, the method of teaching there was completely different to school and I thrived there. When it comes to leaning from a book, I don’t seem to have a problem there either. If there’s something I didn’t know and wanted to learn about, I’d head off to the local library, get a few books on the subject and once I’d read enough, I’d give it a go. Most of the skills I’ve learnt to do with DIY I’ve learnt from a book! It’s the same with my drawing, painting skills and my modelling skills, they’ve mostly been learnt by reading a book on how it’s done and then having a go!

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

... and today's challenge is to find the Star Wars references ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2021/05/04/far-far-away-less-likely/

This foreign holiday nonsense is getting distinctluy kafkaesque.  We are told - by some sources that Israel woill be ok - well maybe it will, but they aren't letting in foreign tourists.  we are told Iceland will be ok - which it would provided (according to the Icelandic Govt when the GD checked it out a week or two back) you have had your two Covid vaccinations no more than 3 weeks apart and you have taken and passed as uninfected a Covid test within 48 hours (or thereabouts) of your intended date of departure.  So if you've had a Covid vaccination in the way it has been done for the overwhelming majority of those vaccinated in Britain you would not be allowed to enter Iceland even in the Uk Govt says you can go there.  reported today on the world at one that the relevant Covid test for British folk wishing to travel overseas costs £148; similar test in the EU cost =£72.

Load of nonsense so why bother at all until much later in the year when things will be a lot clearer - one way or the other?

• Like 3
  • Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4