The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A dull but dry start to the day, but it’s not much warmer than yesterday, it’s only 4C at the moment. I’ve no firm plans of what I’m doing today, possibly a day of doing not a lot and taking stuff to and fro between the cellar and workshop, but I’m sure I’ll find something to occupy the day. 

I’ve never been involved with computers, although i did do a little programming as part of my HNC back in the day. But that’s so far back in time it’s all gone now, much like the maths I learned as well, such as differentiation, integration etc. I’ve used computers as a tool whilst working, but that’s about all. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, BR60103 said:

I tried learning C but I kept getting stuck with "C can't do that; you need to write a subroutine." and that would be just something like input/output.

I must admit I am struggling a little bit with the Arduino's C++ but then I've only had a couple of sessions 'playing'.  Having said that I managed to simulate a four signal section of automatic signalling last night using LEDs for the signals and push buttons to represent track sensors.   It's how C++ structures its programs that is taking some getting my head round but it worked. I'm not convinced that it's the most efficient piece of coding but that will come as I learn new aspects of the language.  

As Eric once nearly said  'all the right bits are there but not necessarily in the right order'

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Morning all.

Overcast with showers here so far. Fortunately I am not going anywhere. My toothache needed something slightly stronger than paracetamol last night but it isn’t too bad this morning, perhaps the antibiotics are working already. 

I will be in charge of receiving the shopping delivery today. Aditi will be attending via Zoom a post-funeral prayer for her Aunt who died earlier this week. The cremation happened the next day. 

Tony

I have found Bonjela works quite well. I apply it with a cotton bud, as those are more manouverable than my cow-udder fingers. 

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

As I under stand it, The current Lifetime Allowance is £1,073,100 as of 6 April 2020. That's the maximum you can take between starting receiving your pension untaxed and not needing it anymore...ever..

If you have been rich enough to have more than that in the pot, then at the moment anything you take above that as a lump sum is taxed at 55% or anything taken as an income when an annuity is arranged above that is taxed at 25% .

So you can keep paying in more, it's just when you choose to take it out it becomes liable for tax..

I think the above is in addition  the normal tax rate on income when you're a pensioner.. 

PS I'm no expert on taxes.. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

I have found Bonjela works quite well. I apply it with a cotton bud, as those are more manouverable than my cow-udder fingers. 

I don’t often have unusual reactions to medications but Bonjela doesn’t work for me. I must be sensitive to something in it as it doesn’t help my gums at all. My Mum was a great believer in TCP and or Bonjela. I went to the dentist as my usual Corsodyl swishing had no effect. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

On 02/03/2021 at 16:47, polybear said:

And do you think Big H or Bear would be that cruel and heartless to take advantage of a fellow ER'er in distress? :nono:

Yes. Absolutely, especially if CAKE or CAKE-LIKE substances were involved.

In fact, I suspect that P Bear would make a trusty minion for Captain Cynical were sufficient CAKE on offer....

On 02/03/2021 at 23:04, monkeysarefun said:

In Australia Starbucks was here for 7 years, lost $105 million and had to close 61 outlets on their way out.

Their idea of 'coffee' isn't the same as ours.

Thats an understatement along the lines of Noah saying "it might rain a little, later"

On 02/03/2021 at 23:36, Gwiwer said:

...I don’t consider myself a coffee snob.

I certainly am. If by "snob" you mean one who has high and exacting standards for his coffee, tea, wine........

I use a Bialetti to make coffee in the morning and for the quick cup during the day, I use a Nespresso machine and the capules. (and before anyone asks I do know how to make tea properly and I have an earthenware teapot for casual and one or two porcelain ones for entertaining. Swiss friends have remarked how "tea-ey" my tea is).

On 03/03/2021 at 08:07, TheQ said:

We've once been to Star*ucks... . I had a latte, the milk of which,  dented the strange flavour of the coffee, SWMBO had tea which was very "flowery", I could smell that without tasting it. It was a rapid unanimous vote not to go there again..

That Stupid red clowns place we don't go to either, again once tried never again.. not because of the coffee but because of sweet tasting buns for the burgers and "fries" not chips.

No wonder the USA has a 10%+ diabetic rate..

Not only diabetes but mammoth obesity as well (pun intended) before I lost 35Kg, I would enjoy going to the States cos I got to feel Twiggy-thin in comparison with the locals (especially in Florida - where I would go fairly often for work [congresses and meetings]). Recent data peg the average US male at 90Kg, the average UK male at 82Kg and the average Euro male at 70kg.  Gargantuan portions, sugar and salt in everything (don't believe me? check the labels), no wonder the heaviest man that ever lived (at 635Kg) was an American.

On 03/03/2021 at 11:18, Gwiwer said:

Of tea and coffee both can be made in myriad different ways and both have socio-cultural implications. .....Milk in first?  Tea in first?  No milk at all? 

Good ole "socio-cultural implications". I read a claim, somewhere, that the social difference in tea drinking (basically tea in first [supposedly "upper class"] or milk in first [supposedly "working class"]) was down to the quality of the cups the tea was/is drunk in. Very expensive bone china (at the time the preserve of the aristocracy) can take heat shock without shattering, whereas cheaper tableware (often earthenware) would shatter from heat shock if very hot tea were poured into it, so putting in milk first would reduce shattering by heat shock.

Interesting theory.

15 hours ago, brianusa said:

I rather think "Camp" was the only coffee for years.  Until people started travelling they never knew differently.  Coffee these days has like wine, a certain snob appeal.

And - if I may be so bold - it's the snobbism of those who really don't know anything about the subject they are being snobbish about. They are just jumping on a bandwagon (so, for example, should a Celebrity Chef rhapsodise about grilled rat's testicles - before you know it the glossies would be full of articles by the usual subjects on where to buy "authentic" rat's testicles or whether or not Rattus rattus balls taste better than Rattus norvegicus balls. [and, yes, rats are edible])

Enjoy the day

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

so putting in milk first would reduce shattering by heat shock.

I usually put the milk and tea bag in the mug and then pour the water in. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

When it comes to tea I still prefer to make it in a pot, even though I am the only one to drink it. I still use leaf tea, I have a glass teapot with an infuser. As soon as the colour looks right I just remove the infuser and the tea will not stew. The used leaves are dried then go into the kitchen caddy on the way to the compost heap. If you have to dip a tea bag into a cup or mug its best to remove it before adding the milk. If the used tea bag is contaminated with milk it should not go in the compost.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

In my view the only way t make tea is in a pot - which has fu irst been warmed.  However tea bags can be convenient on occasion si they have their uses but I always try to make sure that I squeeze them out (using the spoon) before removing them from the cup - a trick I picked up in Aus.

• Like 9
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Afternoon All,

A bit busy so just a quick visit.

With regard to dental preparations, basically there are two types of ingredient,  one that kill the pain and those that ‘fight’ the infection that’s causing the pain. Bonjela has  two ingredients, one of each type. Corsodyl has just one, chlorhexidine which is an antimicrobial. 
Anbesol Adult Strength and Orajel Extra Strength are what we regularly prescribe in our pharmacy and they contain both types of ingredient. If anyone is going to act on this info, just consult the pharmacist or leaflet as they are not suitable for everyone.

Back to work,

Robert

What about brandy?  That used to be quite good at killing any pain but i don't know about its antimicrobial qualities.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

As I under stand it, The current Lifetime Allowance is £1,073,100 as of 6 April 2020. That's the maximum you can take between starting receiving your pension untaxed and not needing it anymore...ever..

If you have been rich enough to have more than that in the pot, then at the moment anything you take above that as a lump sum is taxed at 55% or anything taken as an income when an annuity is arranged above that is taxed at 25% .

So you can keep paying in more, it's just when you choose to take it out it becomes liable for tax..

I think the above is in addition  the normal tax rate on income when you're a pensioner.. 

PS I'm no expert on taxes.. 

This is not quite correct.

Taking anything out of your pension pot at the appropriate time gives you taxable income (subject to the rules on taking out an initial lump sum in order to buy an annuity).

The lifetime allowance and the annual allowance both restrict the amount that you (and your employer) can contribute and still get tax relief on the contributions.

The annual allowance is £40,000. Any contributions above that will not get tax relief (and you'll be asked to pay back the tax relief given at source).

The annual allowance tapers if you earn above £240,000 (it used be £150,000) down to £4,000 (previously £10,000) by £1 for every £2 earned - giving you a marginal rate of 67.5%.

The lifetime allowance is the sum of all your contributions/employers contributions plus growth - or for those who are still lucky enough to have a final salary scheme there is a formula by which the "growth" is calculated to try to give equivalence to the growth that a pension pot in a personal pension plan or defined contribution  plan might give. This calculation is I understand far from perfect and give you far more tax than you might earn in a year from a payrise or from working extra hours; I suspect that this is why doctors caused such a fuss about working extra pre-Covid; they have a nice final salary scheme.

Any excess in value over the lifetime allowance is taxable in the year.

It is entirely possible to either restrict pension contributions to the maximum £4k or stop them altogether as Mike suggests. You do however need to be careful if you change employer to make sure that you do not get auto-enrolled into their pension scheme; they are obliged by law to enrol you but you are allowed to opt out.

I am in no way a pensions expert but working in an in-house tax team, fellow employees expect us to know about anything to do with tax, whichever country it might be and however loose the connection to the corporate tax we deal with; I once had questions about someone's council tax bill. So the result of those expectations is that I know enough to recognise red flags and when to get advice. And in the case of pensions, my advice is to ask an expert ;)

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Yes, brandy works well - but I find it has its own well known after-effects following a few hours sleep. 

This may seem unbelievable, but during a visit to my Dads some years ago I was suddenly afflicted by a sharp toothache one evening. Feeling my gums, there seemed to be a distinct swelling above one of my back top teeth. The time was quite late and not finding a great deal in his bathroom cabinet, I decided on the only 'sledgehammer' approach I could think of. 

I soaked a large piece of tissue in after shave and jammed it inside my mouth in the general area of the swelling. I left it there for about an hour and then went to bed. I took the tissue out of my mouth before I lay down and just hoped that I could get to sleep. 

In the event, I slept very well and when I woke up in the morning, not only had the pain vanished, but so had the swollen area of my gums. I had no more trouble for the rest of my stay. I assume the bacteria had been driven away by the alien environment of after shave. 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

In my view the only way t make tea is in a pot - which has fu irst been warmed.  However tea bags can be convenient on occasion si they have their uses but I always try to make sure that I squeeze them out (using the spoon) before removing them from the cup - a trick I picked up in Aus.

My parents used to do that and the closest to Aus that they had ever been was St. Louis, MO! :o

EDIT: I just remembered two trips to southern California: one to take me to NAS Lemoore near Fresno, CA leaving the car with me and one to visit some relatives near Los Angeles. A little closer than St. Louis. :biggrin_mini:

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some information and change some text.
  • Like 13

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I don’t often have unusual reactions to medications but Bonjela doesn’t work for me. I must be sensitive to something in it as it doesn’t help my gums at all. My Mum was a great believer in TCP and or Bonjela. I went to the dentist as my usual Corsodyl swishing had no effect. 

I was told by my dentist that after about a month then corsodyl is no longer effective.

• Informative/Useful 7

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

What about brandy?  That used to be quite good at killing any pain but i don't know about its antimicrobial qualities.

Brandy contains alcohol, alcohol is an antimicrobial therefore  brandy is an antimicrobial. I think you’d better use it topically (swill it around your mouth) rather than trying to drink enough for it to work systemically otherwise you’d probably kill yourself before killing the microbes! 
Back to work.

• Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

10 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Brandy contains alcohol, alcohol is an antimicrobial therefore  brandy is an antimicrobial. I think you’d better use it topically (swill it around your mouth) rather than trying to drink enough for it to work systemically otherwise you’d probably kill yourself before killing the microbes! 
Back to work.

You mean don't go nuclear when a guided .missile would work.

• Like 12
  • Agree 2