The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Heading east soon this morning, for the clinic appointment I mentioned yesterday. Google maps suggests “traffic is lighter than usual”. 
It isn’t cold and I can see blue sky. When we went out yesterday I noticed my car was covered in fine sandy dust.  I don’t think that had blown in on the same storm affecting the IoM and North Wales. 
After today I don’t think I have any medical appointments for some time. I have had quite a few during the last year and have always felt as if I am being looked after. It can’t be easy for all the staff to carry on doing “normal” procedures during a pandemic but they have in my case. A few delays during the first lockdown but not since. Seeing all those people working does make me a bit disappointed to see some other members of the public being “difficult” about complying with rules/guidelines/common sense. 
Tony

• Like 19

Hello from a dry, bright and breezy North Somerset. Very mild - 13C already. 

My efforts to move seedlings around the garden seem to be doing well, as nothing has shrivelled yet and this weather ought to spur them on. I might try some more transplanting later today and hope for a colourful May/June as a result. 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, chrisf said:

As it happens, I was going to say something else about Royal Mail today so here goes.  How does stuff get lost in the post? 

The Royal Mail hasn't been the same since Tom Kruse dropped off his perch.

(Not that Tom Cruise)

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis and the sore foot were going hammer and tongs this morning but the seaweed wranglers say there won't be much in the way of rain. I've taken a couple of Nurofen and the result is as mentioned by Neil, helped (or not as the case may be) by the pair of boiled eggs that was breakfast. Not down to Royal Mail but the item I purchased from Hong Kong at the beginning of December is still stuck in Abu Dhabi. I have asked for a refund and that will be forthcoming at the end of the week if the goods don't show up. Muggatee # 2 awaits my attention so its be back later.

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

House is now and span.

Still a bit grey here but the house is being given a proper airing with various windows wide open...

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, TheQ said:

I did wonder at her having visited A&E many times, in the last 63 years of my life I've visited twice in the back of an ambulance.

I refuse to mention the fact that I have never had need for A&E because if I do I know exactly what will happen...

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Good morning/afternoon everybody.

An early start this morning and a short walk with the Wolfpack as I was off to the vet for a minor procedure and a top up of my medications (the vet, in this particular instance, being my GP). I turn up with five minutes to spare, no faffing around having to wait outside (or other nonsense as reported by ERs regarding their trips to their GPs), I washed my hands with an alcohol-based disinfectant, I made sure my mask was on correctly and proceed to sit comfortably in an appropriately socially distance waiting room.

In to see vet, minor procedure performed, some minor but annoying symptomatology reviewed, evaluated and discussed, a quick blood test to confirm everything that should be working properly was indeed working properly. And then off home. In reviewing my case with the vet, we concluded that a combination of insomnia, too much coffee and being glued to the computer screen working for 5 to 6 hours at a stretch were the likely causes of the annoying symptomatology.  Still, it was good to know that everything is pretty much ticketyboo (the curse of my life: brain by Rolls-Royce, body by Trabant). As I mentioned in passing to my GP I put the “psycho” into “psychosomatic”.

Whilst on matters medical, I noted in a number of newspaper reports today that the usual subjects are already lining up to challenge the concept of “no jab, no job“ or “no vaccine, no vacation”. And, surprise surprise, the usual suspects claim it’s because these approaches “discriminate“ against people who make the choice not to be vaccinated because of a non-medical reason. Call me cynical, but if I listen carefully I can hear the sound of countless “no win, no fee“ claims lawyers placing orders for their new BMW’s and Mercedes.

Quite frankly, this is taking the concept of discrimination a little bit too far. Whilst it is more than appropriate and entirely fair that people should not be discriminated against on the basis of things over which they have no control (age, ethnicity, sex), being discriminated against because of your personal choice may not necessarily be nice, but it’s hardly unfair given that the supposed “discrimination“ is based entirely on the decision that you make as an individual. And if individuals are not going to suffer (or benefit) from the consequences of their decisions and actions, well we might as well  give up completely and let anarchy erupt.

Sadly, and I am being quite pessimistic here, I think that it is highly likely that those people claiming “discrimination“ will win – simply because Britain (along with the USA) has allowed the concept of “individual freedom“ to dominate all other considerations. It is no accident, I think, that those countries with the highest death toll per capita from CoVID-19 are those countries where a selfish individualism is tolerated if not encouraged.

• Like 7
  • Agree 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Reading the diabetic forums (I mostly go on diabetes.co.uk) it is very disheartening to read how many people have real issues with practices not being up to date with diabetic care - ours is somewhere in the middle with the younger doctors being much more with it, as you would imagine. 

My last GP was 'older' and TBH gave the impression of not being that interested in diabetes at all although was helpful in other issues - the nurse I have mentioned as not being up to date, my new GP is pretty good although initially  was a little sceptical I could control my HbA1c without drugs, but is pleased I have proved him wrong, and is taking it on board to try with others.

It sounds like your care has been excellent Tony, thankfully.  You also have great family backup!

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Just been reading up on the vaccines and diabetes..  The vaccines stuff your sugar levels for a couple of days because :

A, your body is fighting a "pretend" virus

B, there is a small amount of sucrose in the vaccines..

Meanwhile my levels have stopped falling since I gave up bread, just bouncing around a bit.. But still a bit to high.. I think the porridge for breakfast is going to have to go .. But what to have?

PS an odd thought, I wonder if those who react to the vaccine badly, are the same ones that would end up on a ward intubated with a bad case of the real virus?

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

You also have great family backup!

I certainly know which ones to ask! Though they usually say they would have done what my GP did. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

The 

internet

is

very

slow

today.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 8