The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Next door pumped the water out of his trenches today.. the concrete doesn't look flat and shows signs of cracking already.. the "dwarf" wall which will be built upon it is going to be of an interesting size.

Too much water in a concrete mix makes it weak.  Very weak, in this case.....:laugh:

• Like 4
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

. I was trying to read the spines of the books behind Tony, I managed to read a few.

Top two shelves are English translations of Russian classics, Not mine!

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

The EU? Snidey?  Can't imagine they would be that petty at losing.  Oh, hang on a minute....

I think you will find they are applying the rules the UK used to apply to non EU countries before the  UK left. The UK voted to leave it wasn’t expelled. 

• Agree 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I think you will find they are applying the rules the UK used to apply to non EU countries before the  UK left. The UK voted to leave it wasn’t expelled. 

And the UK wrote a lot of those rules too while we were members. 

Andi

• Agree 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, sixoh8sixoh said:

Neil, I can't remember if I've asked you before, but does Mrs NHN know Jo Overty or Cath Hayhow, both at one time in IOM DHSC?

Cath, yes, she is retired now I think - I also used to have some dealings with her in my last CS role. Crikey, 6 years ago now!  Debs finds Jo's name familiar but can't place her - she's not very good with names.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

...snip... suing Mr P Bear for the sum of no less than 100,000 LDC (lemon drizzle cakes).  ...snip...

Enjoy!

I want to see (ok, hear about) you eating all of those as that would be about 274 years at one a day!!  :jester:

• Funny 15

11 hours ago, jonny777 said:

I see that the Prince Of Wales (the human one - not the loco under construction) has upset the hoi-polloi by driving to see his Dad in hospital, when many ordinary folk have not been allowed this privilege. I wonder if the family thought this through, as it is not going to boost their popularity ratings when some folk in previous lockdowns were not allowed to attend their own parents' funerals, let alone say goodbye while they were still alive. 

There's a big difference.  Whether one approves or not, the Prince of Wales is heir to the throne and entitled to certain privilege's other than the those of the hoi polloi.  It goes with the job!  Otherwise you'd have a republic and you know how they turn out!  Think Trump, who was able to ruin a great country in four years!:diablo_mini:

Brian

• Like 1
  • Agree 10
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Cath, yes, she is retired now I think - I also used to have some dealings with her in my last CS role. Crikey, 6 years ago now!  Debs finds Jo's name familiar but can't place her - she's not very good with names.

I worked with Cath as part of a British-Irish Council group on social inclusion, and know Jo from cricket and twitter, met her at the Ashes game in Durham and then again when I was in Douglas.

• Like 18

11 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

On the subject of Oz, this made the BBC radio news yesterday:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-56137597

No-one is forced to have the vaccine, but it seems there are numpties who still feel the need to demonstrate...

Yes, this made no sense. The vaccine won't be forced on anyone so I don't know why they are complaining about something that is a personal choice - I assume they don't have similar protests about going to the dentist, watching "Australias Got Talent" , or eating Brussel Sprouts.

Seriously, we've had no local covid cases in NSW for over 30 days, its a beautiful summer this year without anything on fire  and   we can safely gather in groups, go anywhere in the country or to NZ, go to the  pub or a restaurant with family or with our mates, go to the beach ,go see live music  concerts and generally have a lifestyle currently unavailable to a huge percentage of the rest of the world and the best thing they can think of doing with it is getting together in a park holding stupid posters about 5G and having a whinge. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

If you count 1pm and 1am, 100,000 only last 136.89 years allowing for Leap Years

Far too complex.

Let's just eat cake.  

SWMBO made a rather nice coffee and walnut one for afternoon tea today.  A small amount remains uneaten ;)  

G'night all.  Sleep safe and sound.  

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, sixoh8sixoh said:

I worked with Cath as part of a British-Irish Council group on social inclusion, and know Jo from cricket and twitter, met her at the Ashes game in Durham and then again when I was in Douglas.

Did you come across DI Gary Hardman (aptly named....) in the group?  He was my boss, and took part in quite a few of those meetings.

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

I want to see (ok, hear about) you eating all of those as that would be about 274 years at one a day!!  :jester:

My last cake took me six weeks to eat.

Well, it was a nine-inch iced Christmas Cake and I am the only one in the house who eats it. Lockdowns precluded any external assistance.

• Like 18