The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning, from a dry and breezy Rock - which IS the 'mainland' BTW, Mr Winslow! ;):yes:

Poly, Debs isn't retiring in two weeks, just moving out of the DHSC freedom of information hell-hole job, to Fleet Management for the department of infrastructure - which includes....

s1.jpg.3ecdbe83c8955e8678e93ae603bff4d4.jpg

...and...

scan0107.jpg.f78e11e7cebda6e60495c9c69e1f8c97.jpg

...amongst other things!  :D

One hopes ' Oh man of indeterminate age' - don't want to be accused of descrimination do I, that you've done a quick once around the island on that 'pedallo' of yours to check that none of the anchours have dragged.

Last thing you need is to end up at the mouth of the Mersey. Just think of all those Liverpudlians coming over on their lilos to take advantages of you rich manxites.:P

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Normally, I buy my sausages, black pudding and the like the day before I leave, storing them in the minibar. When I check out from the hotel on the last day, I ask them to keep the sausages etc refrigerated (which they normally can do). Then, when I pick up my luggage just before heading to the airport,  I pack the meats which will survive the few hours outside of the fridge quite adequately (especially when you consider that the cargo hold in an aircraft is not usually heated).

Haven't the rules changed since January 1st?

Or is that only if you get caught?

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Hello again from Estuary-Land. I did hear somewhere that since Brexit English sausages cannot be taken into the EU. So the only way that Flavio can get English bangers to Switzerland is by air. Unless of course someone is able to smuggle them through France. There is an alternative route through Ireland where before the troubles the border was very lightly controlled and it was a smugglers paradise. It was said that cattle near the border was trained to walk backwards to confuse the authorities.

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Morning all,

clearly my Zoom appearance needs some thought about lighting although erhaps being shadowy is not such a bad idea?  Problem is that the 'puter sits in a corner and all the light is either behind me or at an oblique angle and both power sockets at this end of the room are in use for 'putery things although there might be a spare space on one of the adaptors.  but that's just a first world problem so hardly a major concern.

1 hour ago, Sidecar Racer said:

I have an Anglepoise lamp on the rear corner of my computer table that seems to do an effective job.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

As they don't seem to want our scallops I don't think we should let them have our sausages.

They do want our scallops but now they are tied up in red tape and go 'off' before they get there.  

• Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning, from a dry and breezy Rock - which IS the 'mainland' BTW, Mr Winslow! ;):yes:

Poly, Debs isn't retiring in two weeks, just moving out of the DHSC freedom of information hell-hole job, to Fleet Management for the department of infrastructure - which includes....

s1.jpg.3ecdbe83c8955e8678e93ae603bff4d4.jpg

...and...

scan0107.jpg.f78e11e7cebda6e60495c9c69e1f8c97.jpg

...amongst other things!  :D

Neil, I can't remember if I've asked you before, but does Mrs NHN know Jo Overty or Cath Hayhow, both at one time in IOM DHSC?

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

More random editor clearing needed.

Lunchtime, then back to more summershed 'doings' - nearly had a 'grandadbob moment' earlier when my head came VERY close to making contact with the pointy end of a quick release clamp. Had it happened the air would have been very blue, as it was it became my cue to take a break. :)

it has been mentioned, and certainly this part of South Derbyshire seems to concur, that spring is awakening, noticed the first daffodil in mi garden breaking bud. :)

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BoD said:

Switzerland aren't in the EU! 

• Like 5
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, BoD said:

It used to be that you could import up to 2 kg of meat products (basically sausages, black pudding and porkpies) from the UK. But I have just checked the Swiss customs website and we are no longer allowed to import any meat products from the UK. However, we can bring in up to 20 kg of fish! I wouldn’t be surprised if there will be some enterprising Irish businessmen who will find a way of, quite legally, acquiring British food stuffs to sell on to the modest but profitable British Expats in Europe market.

Reading various news items, one cannot help but get the impression the EU has instructed -through its various functionaries - that every country’s customs and excise department has to be as obstructive, bureaucratic, inflexible and unyielding as they can possibly be. Not only to “punish” the UK; but also, and more importantly, to hold the UK up as a terrible warning to those countries in the EU (such as certain eastern European countries and certain southern European countries) who are currently more than unhappy with Brussels and how it has completely mismanaged the vaccination situation..

According to my German friends, von der Leyen was a God awful minister in Germany, and being kicked upstairs to the EU bureaucracy in Brussels hasn’t improved her abilities.

I had better stop here as it could get “political”.

Edited by iL Dottore
Typos
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Reading various news items, one cannot help but get the impression the EU has instructed -through its various functionaries - that every country’s customs and excise department has to be as obstructive, bureaucratic, inflexible and unyielding as they can possibly be. Not only to “punish” the UK; but also, and more importantly, to hold the UK up as a terrible warning to those countries in the EU (such as certain eastern European countries and certain southern European countries) who are currently more than unhappy with Brussels and how it has completely mismanaged the vaccination situation..

The EU? Snidey?  Can't imagine they would be that petty at losing.  Oh, hang on a minute.....

https://www.express.co.uk/comment/expresscomment/1384445/european-union-dutch-border-ham-sandwiches-lorry-drivers

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. A very good Zoom chat yesterday, I hope that in future even more can join in. I was trying to read the spines of the books behind Tony, I managed to read a few. There was a news item about a week ago about lockdown causing a surge in demand for second hand books. Not to read but to fill the bookshelves used as a backdrop when doing Zoom meetings, you order by the metre. I have plenty of books anyway, about 6,000 at the last count. 

• Like 17
  • Funny 1