The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Just wait until they switch on the 5G phone mast near you......

I suppose ordinarily I would be visiting somewhere (like East London) with 5G for my phone to connect to it but even the small area fairly nearby with 5G provision isn’t anywhere I would have an excuse to visit. 

• Like 13

27 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

Hi Andy , you no dought be delighted to know that at your old address it is - fine:D

Not wishing to rub salt into the wound but it is bone dry here in the Northwest. It is such an unusual event that I'm lost as to what to do. I may be gone some time while I figure this out.

• Like 13
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Our dinner plans have changed. We will still be having pancakes (probably with lemon juice and a small amount of sugar or possibly maple syrup. However the risotto is cancelled. We have just had a substantial lunch so will have something like soup before the pancakes tonight.  Tomorrow I have been told we will have mushrooms in buckwheat pancakes. Half a bag of buckwheat flour was revealed earlier and we don’t want to waste it. 

Oh dear - do I tick 'like' for the good news part or the little heart for the bad news part?  Choices, choices but I think I'll go with the sympathy vote this time.  

Fortunately I am now resupplied with a two day's worth of mushrooms but they arrived too late for lunch today.  And tomorrow the repairer of major cooker faults is attending to, hopefully, rectify the ills wrought upon various parts of it by - allegedly - the errant mouse the flippin' cat brought in.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

A colleague in Barrow always asks "Are you Normal".. sometimes I felt like answering "yes but some of my colleagues are aliens"  doubt if he would have seen the intended joke. 

Blue skies here with smallamounts of shower. Obvioudly the area over the wrong side of the Pennines isn't doing its job...

Baz

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold

We've all just been talking about how the invitation to jab was split between NHS letters and GP surgeries and I mentioned that Valerie received hers by letter this morning and booked at a local vaccination centre, well I have just been sent a text message from my GP inviting me to book a jab at their surgery.   Ours not to reason why ......

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, pH said:

We once lived on a short street where the land for the houses on the other side of the street had been sold by a Methodist chapel. Those houses had a covenant in their deeds forbidding alcohol in the house.

Aditi’s parents house near Nottingham was built on what had been the next door vicarage tennis courts. Any plans for modifications to the house or additional buildings had to be submitted to the Church Commissioners. They rejected one of his plans on the grounds that they believed adding en suites to guest bedrooms indicated he was trying to set up a nursing home. The vicar was himself moved from the rather grand vicarage to a semi in the village. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, BoD said:

We've all just been talking about how the invitation to jab was split between NHS letters and GP surgeries and I mentioned that Valerie received hers by letter this morning and booked at a local vaccination centre, well I have just been sent a text message from my GP inviting me to book a jab at their surgery.   Ours not to reason why ......

I got both - the centralised booking won by two days

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

A colleague in Barrow always asks "Are you Normal"..

Is that code for asking "are you from somewhere else other than Barrow?"

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Blue skies here with smallamounts of shower. Obvioudly the area over the wrong side of the Pennines isn't doing its job...

Baz

It did just after I set off for a walk.

• Like 8
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Just after I moved to the Dark Peak about 20 years ago I was out for an evening walk near Royston Vasey. A gent coming the other way  stopped and engaged me in conversation as he obviously didn't know me. "Are you Local" he said.  It floored him a bit when I said "No, I just happen to live here". 

One of the nearby newsagents really did have a “local shop run by local people” advert for a while. 

• Like 14