The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Sorry I read that as fecal recognition.

They can do that too if required. It's a good source of DNA. CoViD-19 testing in sewers is now quite widespread.

A lot of anthropological archeology is done with coprolites (fossilized poo).

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

before people start clutching their pearls over my spelling of 'colour', the choice was deliberate for an American term.

No problem, its the 'right' way, anyway Mike!

Brian.;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

7 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Sounds to me like the humans have lost their fear of indigenous wild animals and maybe they should be moved away from the animals domain more like.

The guy in this video didn't lose his fear. (Lots of NSFW language.)

Three years ago a cyclist was killed by a cougar in the Seattle hinterland. It's quite uncommon but it happens.

• Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Indeed!

My personal take on such things is that if people are doin' nowt wrong they have nowt to fear - a bit like CCTV :)

I'd happily have a biometric ID card - useful for so many things.

So would Bear.  Incidentally, the following is from an email sent to me by Firefox regarding internet security:

Give Facebook (and Instagram) special treatment

Did you know that Facebook can track almost all your web activity and tie it to your Facebook identity, even if you don’t have an account? That’s pretty outrageous. Shadow profiles, aside, staying connected to friends and family shouldn’t come at the cost of your privacy. According to the Pew Research Center, more than half of all Facebook users are uncomfortable with Facebook compiling their personal data. Yes, it’s creepy, and yes you can do something about it.

I wonder how many who object so strongly about biometric ID cards are quite happy to have Facebook accounts?

4 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Defense - Mayor of Tampa "I’m proud to say the majority of individuals that I saw out and about enjoying the festivities associated with the Super Bowl were complying,” she said. “They understood their level of personal responsibility and they were doing the right thing. I’m very proud of that.”

Witnesses - mostly reporters from various media outlets - a significant number/majority of the crowds in the street and bars were not wearing masks, no-one seemed "bothered"!!

It really is very easy to have absolutely nil sympathy for such bozo's should they contract C-19 in a bad way....

4 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Well that's the weird thing. They dig several holes in advance as you would expect but because they can't rely upon the connection team to a) finish the required number of connections each day and b) turn up we are left with lots of holes - imagine the Somme but with paving slabs rather than mud. The other problem is until they dig the holes they don't know if the pipes need replacing. If they do all work stops while they 'pull/push' a new pipe in. But it is definitely weird about us and the neighbours as they've marked the spots where our holes need to dig but they just don't seem to want to dig them. We suspect it was because we had a funeral at one of the houses so they were asked to make themselves scarce whilst it took place but come on that was only one morning. Could be it put them off their stride and this is revenge. 

It's all the B.S that goes with such activities that complicates such situations nowadays.  Here's an example:

Thames Water turn up to check next-door's drains (who were in France at the time); Bear gave them access as I'm a key holder.  So van parked outside.  "Caution" signs (or similar) placed at the front & rear of van to warn pedestrians that works were in progress; both signs photographed to prove they were present.  Front door of house photographed, to prove they were there.  All stages of work photographed - here's the manhole, here's the lid removed......here's the lid back on again....

The best bit about the warning signs by the van?  The inspection works were being carried out in the back garden....

3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Yes but Goody Goody Judges stopped Pritie Petel from deporting Criminals, they are now free and roaming OUR Neighbourhoods to do as they please, and probably on OUR Benefits.

Sorry Rant over.:devil:

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

This is certainly the case. There's a reason for that, and over time, it will be addressed. For now it's a good reason not to trust facial recognition software.

Personally, I find the rate at which facial recognition software has advanced and the applications to which it is put, is astounding with quite frightening ramifications.

Bear suggests that you're not eating or drinking when opening the following link, as there's a very real risk you'll spray it up the wall:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/news/830336/hamza-guilty-but-family-still-get-1-2m-house-and-benefits/

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, NGT6 1315 said:

Keep those radiators running, folks…

Oh yes.  Ours is on 24/7 mode and likely to remain so for the foreseeable.  It helps to keep the place at an even, but not excessive, temperature rather than allow it to get cold and then burn more fuel to restore comfort than having the thermostatic control cut in and out as necessary all the time.  

And on than note it's a cozily warm goodnight from the Hill of SnowStrawberries. 

• Like 16
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

5 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Northern Gas Networks digging up at top of our street again it is quite a regular occourance. Our estate was built on the former gas works there is still some gas supply apparatus round the other side. There is a radio type tower i dont know if that is gas related or not and there are a couple of large bore pipes coming out of ground then go back under

The gas distribution network is probably centered round the old gas works, just like most big electrical switching centres  are on old piwer station sites. The radio mast wil be for telemetry back to the big mast at Tingley which feds the gas grid control centre on Meadow lane in Leeds. Ask me how I know that.  When I was working in the radio room at Morley in about 1980 we used to get deafened regularly by bursts of what sounded like static on the UHF.  The problem was eventually traced to our transmitter, on a water tower, being almost in line withe the microwave link from Tingley to Meadow Lane. The interference was when control interrogated 300 remote sites every couple of minutes. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 17