The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, polybear said:

Can Bear ask what brand & type of paint you are using please - is it nice to use?  Bear has a downer on water-based paints as they tend to dry even before you have time to get 'em off the end of the brush, emulsion paint excluded.

I'm using B&Q own brand of undercoat/primer, it is water based but I don't usually have any problems with it. The topcoat will be Farrow and Ball 'All White' which I've found to be very hard wearing. This is also water based and as above, I don't usually have any problems. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, chrisf said:

Greetings one and all ...snip... It got so bad that one stage I proclaimed that anyone saying to me “Oh, didn’t you know?” would face summary execution. ...snip...

Best wishes to all, especially koalas

Chris

I wondered why there were so many job openings at your place of work back then! :jester:

• Funny 17

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Indeed!  The error was due to my having initially typed 4-6-6-4, then thought that was incorrect Whyte notation as the driving wheels aren't connected, and failing to alter the whole thing.  D'oh.

They were enormous though by UK standards, titanic in fact!

JSB, I'd love to see your EF-3's....hint....what make are they please?

EP-3s; unfortunately at this time I have no photos of them. I will take care of that a little later today after a morning on-line meeting. The manufacturer was Baldwin Model Locomotive Works.

BTW, the GG1 was called that as it was the equivalent of two G class steamers (4-6-0) back-to-back.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some information.
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 hours ago, Simon G said:

On the subject of lockdown, a piece of local news made my blood boil this morning.  A mountain rescue volunteer had suffered “life changing injuries” following a fall of about 500 feet.  The reason the mountain rescue team was out was because two wild campers who were breaching lockdown had got into trouble and had called for help.  They were fined £200.  I only hope that they have a conscience between them and make a significant donation to the injured volunteer.

Oh I doubt it - if they had they wouldn't have been there in the first place.

There really are some selfish people around.

• Agree 19

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Its warmed up a bit here during the day and I was thinking that putting off my jab (which would have been about now) was premature but in the last hour or so its got a lot colder and the roads which were a bit slushy are freezing again so perhaps it was the right decision after all. I was going to do a fodder run once I had my jab but thats for tomorrow now but it means that tonights dinner is sausage toad and chips with an apple for desert. I have actually lost weight during lockdown, I think its due to fewer visits to Tess Coes and therefore less of things like vanilla cheese cake.

• Friendly/supportive 17

53 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

Indeed!

My personal take on such things is that if people are doin' nowt wrong they have nowt to fear - a bit like CCTV :)

I'd happily have a biometric ID card - useful for so many things.

Me / Us too, bring it on, it would also cut down crime and ease deportation of wrong doers etc.

• Like 6
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I believe that I am being discriminated against. Why I here you cry. Well I shall tell you. Are you sitting comfortably children good. It all begins many moons ago when this big bad ogre called Cadent decided that it was going to make walking on the pavement a crime against humanity. So it dug up all of pavements and forced everybody to walk in the middle of the road. That is apart from the stretch outside ours and several of our neighbours. Well isn't that a good thing I hear you ask. No it isn't because the real reason - you didn't really believe there was a big bad ogre called Cadent did you, the holes were needed was to replace our gas supply. We were told it needed to be done three weeks ago and to prove it we had a visitation from the sub contractor, Balfour Betee, then from the sub-sub contractor who was actually  doing the work. Well you won't be surprised if I tell you that we are still waiting. Not everybody though. They have done the people to the left of us, jumped over us and houses either side and opposite, to carry on up the road. Was it something we said. We are definitely put out. We want our holes.

Yours holier without.

N Holes

Dear Mr. Holes. As a member of the Holes family you should be aware that these things do take time as there is more important things to do such as the company directors counting their enormous bonuses and playing golf. I'm very sorry but you will just have to put up with the mess and inconvenience for a long while.

Yours insincerely R. S. Holes.

• Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

the Holes family

The first time I walked along the High Road in Benfleet back in 1977 there was a slight smell of gas. This persisted until a couple of years ago when instead of patching the bits that produced the most smell a new gas main was laid. However while some holes were quickly filled some were open for longer. Looking into the holes it seemed to be where the piping looked a bit more complex. So perhaps there is a reason why some are not filled straightaway.  

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 4
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

8 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

The first time I walked along the High Road in Benfleet back in 1977 there was a slight smell of gas. This persisted until a couple of years ago when instead of patching the bits that produced the most smell a new gas main was laid. However while some holes were quickly filled some were open for longer. Looking into the holes it seemed to be where the piping looked a bit more complex. So perhaps there is a reason why some are not filled straightaway.  

Well that's the weird thing. They dig several holes in advance as you would expect but because they can't rely upon the connection team to a) finish the required number of connections each day and b) turn up we are left with lots of holes - imagine the Somme but with paving slabs rather than mud. The other problem is until they dig the holes they don't know if the pipes need replacing. If they do all work stops while they 'pull/push' a new pipe in. But it is definitely weird about us and the neighbours as they've marked the spots where our holes need to dig but they just don't seem to want to dig them. We suspect it was because we had a funeral at one of the houses so they were asked to make themselves scarce whilst it took place but come on that was only one morning. Could be it put them off their stride and this is revenge. 

• Friendly/supportive 14

7 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Have the headache from hell apparently its a common side effect of the Astra Zeneca jab i took paracetamol after the jab as advised. Had a terrible night but i would sooner suffer slight malady rather catch something potentially fatal

Sorry to hear that, The only side effect I've had is a pain in the arm.:o

NOT that arm the Covid was done in, but the other arm from the FLU JAB 2 YEARS AGO.:fie:

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

16 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Have the headache from hell apparently its a common side effect of the Astra Zeneca jab i took paracetamol after the jab as advised. Had a terrible night but i would sooner suffer slight malady rather catch something potentially fatal

I had a headache, not too bad and it went the next day.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

ease deportation of wrong doers etc.

I think transportation for criminals ended in the 1860s. People found guilty of crimes if not citizens already get deportation orders at the end of their sentence if appropriate. Most criminals can’t  be deported any way as they are British citizens anyway. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

I had a headache, not too bad and it went the next day.

No headache but a slightly sore and somewhat aching patch of upper arm around the area where she every gently shoved the stuff in.  Just about gone now but until yesterday it was very noticeable if I lifted my arm above shoulder level.   Herself - of course - has suffered noticeable after effects at all.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16