The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

48 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I believe that it was “Unravelled“ (Dave) who took the photograph, (Dave is also a member of the “Brains Trust“).

As to why we have named ourselves as the “Brains Trust“ it’s because – believe it or not - sitting around the table are a few centuries worth of cumulative wisdom, sagacity and insight. The trust was originally formed, if memory serves me correctly, to provide me with some assistance and guidance with my - as yet still only partially built - model railway. But we have gone on to bigger and better things.

(By the way, I have just had an interesting thought: as we are a “trust“, could we not apply for charitable status? Such a status would go far in ameliorating the bar bill!)

Very!

It was a veritable tsunami of a liquid lunch, truly a Victoria Falls of free flowing CAMRA approved non-solid nourishment.

And all spectacularly beneficial for one’s body, soul and psyche (trust me on this! I’m a doctor!)

The nibbles were indeed of high quality. Of course, as you quite rightly point out Jamie, that was over four years ago, back when I was (to quote the memorable Sergeant Hartman in Full Metal Jacket) a “disgusting fatbody

Now, I can just about to pass for human (on a dark night with a candle light behind me), which I suppose IS an improvement.

Lunch is now over (bacon, sausage and black pudding with a mug of coffee), so I think I had better get back to work!

Have fun!

I believe several pints of Guiness could in some circles be classed as food. Not that I have of course been in such a circle, but have I  been known to pass within a discretionary orbit of such a constellation. Science has a lot to answer for.

Edited by Winslow Boy
Guineas for guiness
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

And it seems that someone has raised a petition via official channels for debate in Parliament, assuming it gets 100K signatures:

Petition: Do not rollout Covid-19 vaccine passports

We want the Government to commit to not rolling out any e-vaccination status/immunity passport to the British public. Such passports could be used to restrict the rights of people who have refused a Covid-19 vaccine, which would be unacceptable.

And at the last look it had 68K signatures, from a start date of 20th Jan.

#Speechless

• Agree 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I had also heard about the GG1 problem with powder snow.  I believecthatbthe powder was kicked up by the passage of the train got high enough to get into the traction motor blower air intakes then melted before being sent at pressure into the traction motors, where the insulation didn't like the water. I've got Carl Zimmerman's  book about the G motors somewhere, I'll have to have a look.

Jamie

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

51 minutes ago, polybear said:

And it seems that someone has raised a petition via official channels for debate in Parliament, assuming it gets 100K signatures:

We want the Government to commit to not rolling out any e-vaccination status/immunity passport to the British public. Such passports could be used to restrict the rights of people who have refused a Covid-19 vaccine, which would be unacceptable.

#Speechless

Cake & eat sping to mind. Deffinitly the uninhabited island

Edited by laurenceb
missing letter
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

28 minutes ago, NGT6 1315 said:

Cheers all.

This deffo was a, shall we say, unique shift I had. It's almost impossible to describe what tram driving in such severe conditions was like, but an icebreaker ramming through pack ice may be the closest equivalent. There were a couple of nail-biting situations involved, too, such as having to pass intersections at Stop with appropriate caution in order not to get stuck!

I'll just leave you with a couple of impressions for now. Services have again been suspended following a number of trams effectively getting stuck when they attempted to sortie in the early morning, and I'm told there have been several derailments as well - none of them with injuries, thankfully.

If you ask me, I was, shall we say, stunned to see trams and buses preparing for sortie when we returned shortly after 0400, given our experience. Yeah, I understand the desire to provide at least minimum services, but frankly, I could see how that would end...

IMG_1942.jpeg

IMG_1943.jpeg

IMG_1944.jpeg

IMG_1945.jpeg

IMG_1946.jpeg

A bit like this then? 

https://www.nfb.ca/film/paul_tomkowicz_street_railway_switchman/

Some things don't change much.

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

fact that Neff do nothing to point this out - however Bear has lifted this cardboard tray out of the box and back in again, and didn't think that the cardboard seemed unusually heavy.

I really did want to ask yesterday if you had thoroughly checked all the packaging but thought perhaps I was being too cheeky. Next time shall I be brave and make my suggestions? 

• Like 17
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I had also heard about the GG1 problem with powder snow.  I believecthatbthe powder was kicked up by the passage of the train got high enough to get into the traction motor blower air intakes then melted before being sent at pressure into the traction motors, where the insulation didn't like the water. I've got Carl Zimmerman's  book about the G motors somewhere, I'll have to have a look.

Jamie

Was this a bit like Eurostar a few years back?

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, polybear said:

The idea of working on a step ladder above newly fitted (and expensive) cabinets and worktops to fit wallpaper doesn't fill me with glee.  Ponder mode engaged but struggling....

Why not just paint what will be (from your sanding) smooth walls.  You can then put up a notice board, pictures of your layout, calendar, ER memorabilia etc. and therefore will have no need of wallpaper!

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 9

Finished The Tenant Of Wildfell Hall, and was about to take a few hours of classics reading break and go back to slide scanning when the phone rang. 

It was the doctors, booking me in for a covid jab this Thursday. Wow! They are racing along as I am still 4 weeks from my 68th birthday. 

They even gave me a second jab appointment in May. I am a bit bowled over by this. I wasn't expecting a communication until at least mid-March. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. 

#Speechless

51 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

On the other hand if they sign it, we now know who they are...............................................:hunter:

Why not put out a counter petition demanding that covid-19 passports are available to those who want them? Also what if popular holiday destinations such as Spain or the USA insisted on them? (they might already for all I know.) Its quite possible that some attractions/holiday providers here in the UK will insist on proof of vaccination, more power to their elbow if they do. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 14

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

A mate got stranded some time around noon yesterday when his Tatras were disabled by ingested snow shorting out the traction modules. So, also to respond to @Adam88, yeah, some things don’t change really! :jester:

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

No - as the cutlery and serviettes show that was while we were waiting for the food - so something, apart from erudite conversation (hence Brains Trust), had to be done to occupy our time ;)

Dominos? Billiards? Karioki? Snap? I spy? I could go on.

• Like 1
  • Funny 13

#Speechless

I fear that, if the Government kowtows to these individualists, then the UK will find itself slowly marginalised as more and more countries will adopt a vaccination certificate requirement for entry (and probably for many internal social activities as well). Both the UK and the US will need to come to terms that untrammelled and unrestricted individual freedom will be something that will eventually turn out to be a poisoned chalice. Ever since WWII, many countries have emphasised the fate of the individual over the fate of the society. This will change, in fact must change if CoVID-19 is to be reduced to a manageable risk (not to mention for the future management of other, potentially nastier, viruses currently resident in threatened or endangered species whose habitats are slowly being eroded and which have yet to jump species...)

God help us all if a real Zombie Apocalypse occurs, with the uncooperative attitudes exhibited by far too many we'd be up to our necks in the undead before the sensible and reasonable amongst us would have had a chance to slip a cartridge or two into the shotgun.....

• Like 4
  • Agree 14