The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

The handle on our Liebherr fridge is number 3 now. The cover plates are original though as they never seemed to be available. I know why the handle breaks. Someone, if they are impatient to open it having just shut it pulls hard rather than waiting a moment.  We had a lot of trouble when we first had the fridge with over cooling (new thermostat and controller) but it is fine now. If it goes I will buy a Miele, the Liebherr in the same size are rather 

• Like 1

Just now, clogger said:
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

The handle on our Liebherr fridge is number 3 now. The cover plates are original though as they never seemed to be available. I know why the handle breaks. Someone, if they are impatient to open it having just shut it pulls hard rather than waiting a moment.  We had a lot of trouble when we first had the fridge with over cooling (new thermostat and controller) but it is fine now. If it goes I will buy a Miele, the Liebherr in the same size are rather 

Sorry my error, Liebherr fridges are actually made in the same factory as Miele.

• Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, clogger said:

Sorry my error, Liebherr fridges are actually made in the same factory as Miele.

I know. But when we bought our model they weren’t. Some parts not available for our Liebherr like the veg/salad boxes have an identical replacement for a Miele fridge. If I want an upright white finish replacement for our Liebherr it will be a Miele. It will match the nearby freezer too. 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, pH said:

18 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Edit: There is also an Interstate 66 running west out of DC.

I did not know that!

I have been on a short part of it near DC and Winchester, VA. I suspect that, once one leaves the DC metro area, it would be a somewhat scenic drive; especially the further west that one goes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_66

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

have very mixed feelings about the whole “clapping for XXX“ business. Especially the “clap for carers”.  On one hand, it is a way to show appreciation for the tremendous work frontline medical and nursing staff are/have been doing, but on the other hand it allows the clappers to feel smugly virtuous without actually doing anything about addressing the needs of those doing that front line work. But, to be very cynical, I suppose it is simply just too inconvenient to start up something like a daily “free parking for carers“ (or similar), that would actually benefit the people that are in the firing line. It’s much, much, more convenient, easy and visibly virtue signalling to go out onto the doorstep and clap for a few minutes and then return to the Xbox or Z-List celebrity TV programmes and do no more....

Forgive me for being so acerbic, but I have colleagues in the firing line who would love to have something more useful and enduring as recognition than a round of applause....

iD

Agree!  While I admire all doctors and nurses who tend to us in time of need especially during the ongoing pandemic, they will be the first to say they are only doing their job.  Where does the clapping end?  Do we clap the truck drivers who deliver the life saving vaccines, or the grocery staff who absorb our droplets daily.  Certainly Capt. Tom did a wonderful job but would he be clapped if he were much younger?   If it makes one feel good, go out and clap and also clap for those who protect and serve us all, day by day.:clapping:

Brian.

• Like 10
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

...snip... Forgive me for being so acerbic, but I have colleagues in the firing line who would love to have something more useful and enduring as recognition than a round of applause....

iD

I am sorry but the temptation to rate this with the "Round of applause" button was extremely difficult to overcome!! :jester: In fact, I did do that but went back and changed it within a minute or so.

Note that I really do agree with your statement.

• Like 9
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, chrisf said:

Greetings one and all ...snip... To be accurate, four deaths are marked – those of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper in the same plane crash and of Joe Meek by his own hand in which was a shotgun belonging to Heinz Burt.  ...snip...

Chris

Actually four in the crash plus the pilot; the fourth being  J. P. Richardson. Quick, without looking it up, what was the pilot's name?

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
On 04/02/2021 at 07:07, southern42 said:

...snip... Oh! I get my kicks on route from the 66 thingy that runs on strips of metal.

927711723_Joneson66151atBewdley.png.5fdc7a5db535d600708b081bdb942bb9.png

Tornado tour to SVR 2016 - 66151 taking us back to London.

Fitt :training: and :danced: Elfie bashing on.

Take care all and play safe.

_________

Best wishes

Polly

The 59s and 66s are my favorite foreign motors, the 59s especially as they are basically an SD40-2 wearing a different dress to the ball. Not to go too far into modeling but I have a Lima 66 that will become a 59 with the substitution of an Athearn SD drive. And I do have a few 66s, all but one in the Freightliner color scheme. Here are two on a friend's HO layout:

100_4091.JPG.a5e9b60d879aa9e4756d7eb06ca0d67e.JPG

Note that the non-Freightliner one is in GBRF colors. My apologies to all but if I posted this elsewhere it would be way out of context and (most likely) not seen by Southern 42.

Edited by J. S. Bach
Change "Lime" to "Lima"
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Low spot of today was when I answered the phone and while I wasn't looking Horace the cat decided to wander over the computer keyboard then sit on it and delete what I'd been working on for the previous half hour. I don't know what he did exactly but I had to shut the machine down and restart it before I could get control of it again. I think I'm now off his Christmas card list for the names I called him.

Cheers all.

Dave

Getting his own back for that trip to the vet?:jester:

• Funny 17

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, pH said:

Can’t do that with our car. Headlights set to “automatic”, so they switch themselves on in low light. Great help, except when driving any other car you have to remember it’s something you have to do yourself!

That doesn't seem to work in fog.. automatic lights don't always give main beams a chance.. the new "super sidelights" switch on, as does the lights in the console. Just check what auto does in different conditions.

Baz

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 5