The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Does any ER'er know of an oil based white satin that doesn't go yellow?  Such things appear to be extinct now, ever since the politicians/H&S brigade outlawed such dangerous items :angry:  Bear just can't get on with water-based paint since it dries about a millisecon

Have you tried Farrow and Ball Eggshell. We don’t have much paintwork in our house but the paint approved for radiators looked horrible. We used House White which is almost magnolia and I don’t know what “white white” is called.  On radiators and doors it applies nicely (use synthetic brush). Well I think it does and I don’t like painting. It isn’t full of solvents so much so that my silly dog stuck his snout in it unlike Dulux and Ronseal which he avoided. I assume your request is about interior paints. Outside is mainly pvc here. 

• Like 17

1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

When I typed in the question about cup bottoms into google it came up with a site for bras for women with bigger boobs.................................I thought I'd better back pedal out of there before SWMBO caught me and thought I was up to no good........................................again....................................

1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

Couldn’t decide whether to mark with laughing icon or heart icon but through discretion I choose the heart.

I had no problems deciding :D

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

23 hours ago, Tony_S said:

If you have the new car uninsured on your drive do have to register it as SORN to avoid the continuous insurance rule?

Didn't even know that rule even existed, which is weird if it's on private property.  But then I understand why that rule exists after reading a little more.

I could SORN but by the time I get the paperwork in my name, then SORN, then receive it back again, I'll be putting it back on the road :crazy_mini:

But it seems as it's currently "in the process of being transferred to a new keeper by the DVLA" then I don't have to.  Hopefully with covid postal delays, it'll take them a good week or two before the new V5 arrives with me.  I wonder if there's a particular grace period (like there is with MOTs) for this.

Good knowledge though!

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

Moaning, just/still.

Saturday evening started on our latest murder mystery, looks like it'll be interesting and much fun, also get the brain cells warmed up :)

Sunday, not much accomplished really. Combination of "couldn't be arsed", "read the paper" and "walk the dog"!

Today back working though still quiet on the Long Island front.

-8 and cloudy heading for -2.

Enjoy the day.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, polybear said:

Does any ER'er know of an oil based white satin that doesn't go yellow?  Such things appear to be extinct now, ever since the politicians/H&S brigade outlawed such dangerous items :angry:  Bear just can't get on with water-based paint since it dries about a millisecond after being applied, meaning 'orrible dragging etc. (Bear likes to be able to brush until I'm happy with the finish, and water-based paint has a rule which says:

"Though Shalt Not Go Back To The Bit You Did 60 Seconds Ago, Cos' You'll Regret It"

- I have heard of a paint conditioner/retarder called Floetrol, but have no experience of it; the other downside of water-based paint is that it appears to chip if you so much as stare at it for more than 2 seconds :angry:

I can also recommend Farrow and Ball paint. If you really want an oil based paint, go for their exterior grade paint. If you want white, go for 'All White' we use it here and it hasn't yellowed at all, it also has very low VOC's too. It's a bit more expensive than other brands, but we're very pleased with the quality. 

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I know that Johnstons make one that decoratorscused for painting smokey pubs with yellow walls. I was told about  it by a friend who works at the factory. It worked a treat on the cieling of our lounge in France 5 years ago and hasn't shown any signs of discolouration since. Perhaps it helps that we don't smoke. If you are interested I'll dig a tin out and try and find a stock code.

Jamie

Yes please, though Bear is thinking of woodwork, which may make it unsuitable I suspect

14 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Have you tried Farrow and Ball Eggshell. We don’t have much paintwork in our house but the paint approved for radiators looked horrible. We used House White which is almost magnolia and I don’t know what “white white” is called.  On radiators and doors it applies nicely (use synthetic brush). Well I think it does and I don’t like painting. It isn’t full of solvents so much so that my silly dog stuck his snout in it unlike Dulux and Ronseal which he avoided. I assume your request is about interior paints. Outside is mainly pvc here. 

Many thanks; choosing a "colour" for the woodwork rather than a true white is another option, as that will mean I can use oil-based with no issues.  "House White" looks pretty good, by the way...

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I see we are all being urged to get tested for covid even without showing symptoms, all down to this South African variant apparently. Last time they offered tests here there was such a rush that their phone line was constantly busy. I was surprised to hear that Captain Tom visited Barbados just before Christmas. Even if it was deemed a safe place to visit it involved sitting in a cigar tube for 8 or 9 hours sharing the same recirculating air with a lot of other people is not a good idea in a pandemic. I visited Barbados over 40 years ago in November, had a great time but when I got home I got a very bad cold and back then I was less than a third of Captain Tom's age.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

High C-19 death rate in the UK (106.5K)?  BBC News just announced that in the USA there were 91K in January alone.  Jeez :scared:

Bear found this by chance when researching Kitchens:

https://www.solidwoodkitchencabinets.co.uk/kitchen-design-style-tool#door=all-white-shaker&handle=smooth-knob-cast-iron-36mm&worktop=black-oak-worktop&floor=black-slate-floor&wall=yellow-cake-paint

- One of the F&B wall colours is called "Yellow Cake".  Now if that's not a divine sign I dunno what is....:yahoo:

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

17 minutes ago, polybear said:

High C-19 death rate in the UK (106.5K)?  BBC News just announced that in the USA there were 91K in January alone.  Jeez :scared:

Bear found this by chance when researching Kitchens:

https://www.solidwoodkitchencabinets.co.uk/kitchen-design-style-tool#door=all-white-shaker&handle=smooth-knob-cast-iron-36mm&worktop=black-oak-worktop&floor=black-slate-floor&wall=yellow-cake-paint

- One of the F&B wall colours is called "Yellow Cake".  Now if that's not a divine sign I dunno what is....:yahoo:

‘Yellow cake’ is part purified uranium ore. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Yes please, though Bear is thinking of woodwork, which may make it unsuitable I suspect

Many thanks; choosing a "colour" for the woodwork rather than a true white is another option, as that will mean I can use oil-based with no issues.  "House White" looks pretty good, by the way...

The best 'white white' I know of is the Dulux Trade gloss - that really dos stay white (some here is still the original 2007 paintwork on door frames and skirting boards and hasn't yellowed at all).

Baz - I'll raise you two Chinooks although they were just passing over - extra noisily and a bit lower than normal.  Probably came our way to make up for all the missing airliners we're not hearing nowadays.

• Like 16
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I haven’t seen a helicopter over here for a while now. The police helicopter used to hover over the nearby fields. Usually after someone was trying to evade pursuit after robbing a takeaway (not in Benfleet of course). 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

The best 'white white' I know of is the Dulux Trade gloss - that really dos stay white (some here is still the original 2007 paintwork on door frames and skirting boards and hasn't yellowed at all).

Thanks - it is possible that 2007 is pre-buggeritup sorry, "new improved formula - cos' the seat polishers have stuck their noses in"....

• Like 10
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Not to be confused with ‘ orange cake’. Unfortunately this one is just as inedible, it’s gluten free.

1511B784-0970-4F85-922E-FB3233C833D4.jpeg.d732979ffa1bda3917f148ef37c7b2fb.jpeg

Hmmm.....even Bear is eyeing that one with some suspicion.....

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Not to be confused with ‘ orange cake’. Unfortunately this one is just as inedible, it’s gluten free.

1511B784-0970-4F85-922E-FB3233C833D4.jpeg.d732979ffa1bda3917f148ef37c7b2fb.jpeg

I had an email about baking with buckwheat flour and the pictures of the cakes looked like those baked with wheat flours. We have only used buckwheat for pancakes. 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

High C-19 death rate in the UK (106.5K)? 

Any number is too many but .....

I remain befuddled by the ONS who insist that 1 in 35 Londoners has the virus.  NHS and various other Government figures suggest that across the 32 boroughs there are (approximately - because it varies daily) 18,000 current cases for a population of let's say 7.5 million allowing for some of the "regulars" like students and long-term overseas visitors to have gone elsewhere. If testing picks up only 25% (and they seem to suggest it is more like 70%) of actual cases that translates as having a population of 2.5 million.  

By my own rough figures that suggests something like 1 in 100 might actually be infected which is far closer to the national statistic.  If testing picks up half the actual cases then it's more like 1 in 200.  

But then I am neither a statistician nor politician and call things not as the party or my paymaster wants me to see them but as I - being a humble citizen of planet Earth - see them.  

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3