The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

I have a 14-day pause period with the new car as insurance renews in 14 days (Valentines Day!).  I'm a bit tight so didn't want to pay the £60 or whatever it was to change existing insurance to cover that car so It can sit on the drive for a couple of weeks.  Free tax so not worried about renewing that early.

Ironically the insurance renewal is with the same insurance company that covered my old car (only £20 more).

But get this!
Confused.com offers a free £20 "gift" when buying insurance so went through them when buying cover for old car for the year.  Now I've cancelled that (as I won't need it for the old car) but Confused.com has already given me the code for the gift I chose (£20 at Dominos!).

I may have inadvertently scammed them as I'll be able to claim a new £20 gift for setting up a new policy for new car, with old insurer!

And both of those come with £32 cashback!  That'll pay off a little of what I put on the credit card at least.

/ Day over!

I've always found that giving as much notice as possible before changing a car or starting a new policy has a beneficial effect on the premium.

If you need it in a hurry, then the insurance companies know that they have you by the short and curlies and charge accordingly.

• Like 2
  • Agree 10
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

18 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. This popped up on Farcebook:-

image.png.f22687bf8bce55a086b3c5f68c8bd4f4.png

The mind boggles! cheese and Marmite hot cross buns.

Do they have currants in them?

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

The weather today has been dry, but quite cold, it got as high as 4C this afternoon, but it’s been very windy (the weather outside that is) all day.

Today I’ve had quite a successful day in the workshop. The homemade decals worked really well, (see photo below), so a full set will be printed off sometime over the next few days. The one I used today will be removed, as the decal itself isn’t perfect, I’ve also changed the font as well, but I used this font as I wanted to see how easy they were to produce and use. The whole process is quite long winded though, print out the design on the decal paper, leave this to dry thoroughly, this one took a couple of days! Spray a coat with varnish, this can be Matt, Satin or Gloss, but it does need to be waterproof varnish. Leave to dry and then apply a second coat of varnish and leave to dry again, once the second coat is dry, they are ready to use. Actually applying them is no different to proprietary decals and the finish is just as good. So, on the whole, I’m really pleased with how they’ve all turned out. I can now give some serious consideration to producing decals for locomotives, trucks and coaches in the future. The lettering is about 5mm tall, but looks bigger in the photo, which is being rather cruel. 

8D238FC9-15D7-4260-9DCF-58F915D7A952.jpeg.d652741c3c6090b1d490afa5c77ce67c.jpeg

I then turned my attention to the turntable and the 4 exit/entry roads. 1 was fitted last weekend, today I cut the last remaining 3 to size. The last 2 sleepers at the ends, where they cross over the board join were removed and replaced with copper-clad strips soldered to the rails. Using 15A fuse wire, I then fitted droppers to each of the rails. I’ve used fuse wire because for a few reasons;

1/  I have a couple of reels of it, 

2/  it only requires a 1mm small hole drilling through the baseboard, so ballast won’t fall through the hole. 

3/  the wire is thin enough to be almost invisible, but large enough to carry the layout current. 

Finally 2 of the rails were glued into place and left clamped in place until fully set. The last piece of rail crosses the board joint at an angle and will need more work than the other two, which cross the join oat 90 degrees. 

• Like 19

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. This popped up on Farcebook:-

image.png.f22687bf8bce55a086b3c5f68c8bd4f4.png

The mind boggles! cheese and Marmite hot cross buns.

40 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Couldn't be much worse than this..

image.png.ada9a9c31e2845cdf3e12d3060f11529.png

This is a gelato shop in Vancouver. Look  at the number of flavours they offer now, and the total number of flavours they have ever offered:

http://lacasagelato.com/

Unfortunately, they don’t seem to have a list of flavours online, but if you thought this “Two Ronnies” sketch

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9vjx5

was fiction, you’ve seen nothing!

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Ey up! 

Flipping freezing up here in the North West Leeds Highlands  this morning. 

Today will involve a lot of reading no muddling today.

I believe I may be placing some small lumps of beef, some shallots and some red wine into the slow cooker to ensure we yave someting to eat for tea tonight..

@chrisf all ggod things come to those that weight. I may be waiting a while as there are a lot of second jabs (about 7 million and counting) to be done shortly.

A mugatea has arrived so..

TTFN.

Baz

• Like 19

Cold and frosty here in North Somerset, but at least it is dry and bright. 

I remember reading Untold Stories many years ago. Wasn't that where the original Lady In The Van materialised? 

I've finished all the 9-a-side photos into their sleeves, and find that the postcard sized ones will need 4-a-side ones. I don't have any of those and so an online visit to my Ebay supplier is imminent. 

The sausages are in the pan, and Sunday fry-up is taking shape.   

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, jonny777 said:

I remember reading Untold Stories many years ago. Wasn't that where the original Lady In The Van materialised? 

I'm not sure, she was mentioned briefly some pages back so she may well appear later. It appeals to me on many levels, particularly as it deals with many places that I know well.  I've identified that his parents moved to Clapham from Leeds. I did live in Clapham for 9 months in 58 and 59. Similarly his Leeds childhood deals with many places that I know well. Reading seems to be better than screen time at the moment.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

12 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Just hope that nothing happens to it in that period.

Bear would be pulling a critical relay or two to prevent theft, though a tile coming off the house roof could be more problematic...

7 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Couldn't be much worse than this..

image.png.ada9a9c31e2845cdf3e12d3060f11529.png

Now that is very, very, wierd. Oh, hang on, it's Oz we're talking about.  Normal then.....:jester:

32 minutes ago, 5 C said:

I once worked for someone whose approach was to rubbish any good idea that you proposed, telling you why it wouldn't work or would be too costly etc. Two or three weeks later, I'd suddenly find myself implementing my own idea, full approved and sanctioned by senior management with no acknowledgement of my involvement.

It was when a someone joined the department and confided that a similar thing had happened to them, I realised what was going on. I also understood why another colleague would always discuss their ideas in front of witnesses. 

In spite of being caught out at least once to my knowledge, it didn't seem to hamper this particular individual's career.

Be worth feeding in an idea that looks good on paper, but all except the guilty party knows will back fire big time a little way down the line......

• Like 18
  • Agree 1