The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Peter BB mentioned the traveller problems we had here in Basildon. The land involved has not been built on since as it is designated green belt. The travellers were claiming legal aid and then it was discovered the the woman in who was named as the defendant owned a property in Ireland valued at £300,000. The defendant was switched to her 18 year old son who didn't own any property so they carried on getting legal aid. Why the court didn't take action over this I don't know. It was an open and shut case anyway, they had built on green belt land without planning permission and in the end the site was cleared and compulsory purchased by the council. The major cause IMHO was the travellers legal representatives milking the legal aid system. Back in the mid 70's legislation was passed making it compulsory for all councils to provide sites for travellers. The London borough that I worked for did so. The first tenants were genuine Romanies, the surnames were either Smith or Lee and for about six months everything was OK. Then there was an altercation and it turned out that another group of (none Romany) travellers had tried to take over the site and the caretaker, one of the original tenants, was in hospital having shotgun pellets removed from his leg! The site was so badly damaged that it had to be closed for repairs and it was never re-opened. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Abel said:

Is the government over there trying to fund leaving the EU by jacking up the postage fees??? :O

They're NOW back in stock at various places, I was notified by one I was on the waiting list at, and having used Peters Spares many times in the past, fired up my account and WAS going to order said item.

Get to checkout, and 2 sets at a tenner (price less VAT) each sounded great, UNTIL, postage to the US - FORTY !#@$!#$!@#$ QUID!!!

What the hell!?!?!?! 

Alternative solution found thanks to ER personnel :)

30 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Sadly postage in the other direction is similarly outrageous! I have been put of a number of items on eBay from the US due to the postage.

4 minutes ago, pH said:

Even the cost of shipping from the US to Canada seems to have gone up significantly recently. $25 items on the well-known auction site can cost twice that once shipping is included. 

I used to be able to get internal US rates by getting items shipped to parcel receiving outfits just over the border in Washington state. But with the  Canada/US border closed to all but essential traffic, that’s now out. As an aside, I wonder how many of them will still be in business when it re-opens, whenever that might be.

And I’m currently “in negotiations” with UPS over an invoice for about $23US for preparation of customs documents to pay import charges of  $2.54!

Postage between the EU and the UK has increased considerably since we left the EU. An item that would normally cost £3:90 to post is now in the region of £15, thanks a million Boris.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Sadly postage in the other direction is similarly outrageous! I have been put of a number of items on eBay from the US due to the postage.

Not to mention the tax put on at the (not by the) post office! 

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Postage between the EU and the UK has increased considerably since we left the EU. An item that would normally cost £3:90 to post is now in the region of £15, thanks a million Boris.

Cannot agree - the EU masters rather than the people of Europe are really responsible not just Boris.

• Agree 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, PeterBB said:

Cannot agree - the EU masters rather than the people of Europe are really responsible not just Boris.

There is an agreement on postage rates within the EU that means that the postage would be the same for sending post throughout the EU as it was within a given country. Now we are a none EU country international rates apply.

• Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

I shall do my level best to buy nothing directly from outside of the UK, buying British will be a tad difficult as we make very little here anymore since someone decided we could actually get by actually being a nation of shop keepers. I shall sleep soundly knowing that it would seem there are just as many irritated on the far side of the North Sea/English channel and the politicians are not actually representing any of us very well. Glad I'm retired and don't have to worry any more about finding useful employment, I fear for my kids and grandkids though, we have made a right pigs ear of this part of the planet over the last 50 years or so , someone will no doubt be telling us soon that we've never had it so good..........................

G'night all.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

received today by Mrs Stationmaster from her friend who is a past Mayor of Saltash.  Reportedly being widely circulated in Cornwall

27255586_Cornishcommonsense.jpg.bd1263c3958bf79547dcb4a7d3f87ae1.jpg

That image made me think of Jimmy Carter. :biggrin_mini:

• Like 9
  • Funny 5