The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

15 hours ago, Tony_S said:

There was going to be a theme park (can’t remember which megacorporation)  near Rainham in Essex. Near enough to London to get London in its name. However it was too radioactive due to all the trimphones dumped there.  The glow in the dark feature was responsible.  

I believe that is the site where a certain rice supplier stored (in the 2000's, they may still do so) rice. That site had been part of the empire of the German group that purchased my previous employer. I don't recall the radiation being caused by dumped trimphones but by the waste product of chemical production of something as innocuous as the paint used on the hands of alarm clocks - which is radioactive. But maybe there was more to the tale than I recall. The info re the rice supplier was passed on by one of the estates team who had visited the site. The chemical industry owns a lot of derelict and polluted sites, which are gradually being cleared and remediated. One of the biggest issues we had with certain sites was having to evict travellers. This was done rapidly and without any thought as to whether they had anywhere else to go - and it was done this way because of the contamination in many of these sites (mainly not radioactive), which could have caused the travellers issues down the road....

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

..................... and it was done this way because of the contamination in many of these sites (mainly not radioactive), which could have caused the travellers issues down the road....

Of course then any 'injury' would have been the fault of the landowner and not the trespasser(s).

• Agree 15

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s been raining all night and it still is, it’s very wet out there, I don’t think I’ll be going outside at all today. Breakfast is now but a thing of the past and I’ll soon head to the dining room and sit at the table. I set my table top easel up last night and put my drawing board on it, the plan is to carry on with redrawing the layout plans. I’m hoping that now the drawing board is at about 80 degrees that it won’t cause my back to ache, as it did last week. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Ours works in recirculating mode. I don’t know if it is different now but a lot of the hoods looked similar. The filters for ours also fit a few other makes. There is quite a lot of badge engineering going on. We bought an Elica who seem to make them for a lot of other manufacturers. Ours fits into the unit above the hob.  We chose it as you could mount the controls remotely. Aditi wouldn’t be able to reach the switches otherwise. Being able to wash the grease filters in the dishwasher is nice. 

Hi Tony,

Bear has just found this on the Which? Magazine website - HTH

Bear

Zanussi and Elica have issued a safety notice for some of their cooker hoods, as a risk of electric shock has been identified. If you have an affected cooker hood, Elica and Zannusi say you should stop using it and contact their customer service lines to organise a free repair.

Zannusi and Elica cooker hoods Not all Zanussi and Elica cooker hoods are affected by this potential problem – only models with the following numbers are: Zanussi ZHC60136X Elica CH 60 SS CH 60 BL CH 90 SS CH 90 BL To check whether your cooker hood may be affected, take a look at the rating plate, which is located on the left hand side of the inner wall, behind the metal glass filters. Make sure you unplug it before checking. Zanussi serial and product number Find the model, product and serial numbers of your Zanussi cooker hood For Zanussi cooker hoods, if it has the product number 942122680, and a serial number between 32100001 and 34299999, call Zanussi’s customer service team on 0800 707 6258 to get a repair. For Elica cooker hoods, if it has a serial number between 132100001 to 134299999, call Elica’s helpline – 0125 235 1111 – to get a repair. Don’t use the appliance until it’s repaired. Only cooker hoods manufactured between 20 May 2013 and the week ending 20 October 2013 are affected. No other Zanussi appliances have a problem.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

35 minutes ago, polybear said:

Hi Tony,

Bear has just found this on the Which? Magazine website - HTH

Bear

Zanussi and Elica have issued a safety notice for some of their cooker hoods, as a risk of electric shock has been identified. If you have an affected cooker hood, Elica and Zannusi say you should stop using it and contact their customer service lines to organise a free repair.

Zannusi and Elica cooker hoods Not all Zanussi and Elica cooker hoods are affected by this potential problem – only models with the following numbers are: Zanussi ZHC60136X Elica CH 60 SS CH 60 BL CH 90 SS CH 90 BL To check whether your cooker hood may be affected, take a look at the rating plate, which is located on the left hand side of the inner wall, behind the metal glass filters. Make sure you unplug it before checking. Zanussi serial and product number Find the model, product and serial numbers of your Zanussi cooker hood For Zanussi cooker hoods, if it has the product number 942122680, and a serial number between 32100001 and 34299999, call Zanussi’s customer service team on 0800 707 6258 to get a repair. For Elica cooker hoods, if it has a serial number between 132100001 to 134299999, call Elica’s helpline – 0125 235 1111 – to get a repair. Don’t use the appliance until it’s repaired. Only cooker hoods manufactured between 20 May 2013 and the week ending 20 October 2013 are affected. No other Zanussi appliances have a problem.

Phew! My cooker hood is a Zanussi, but a ZHT611N. 

Saints be praised. 

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Bear reporting for duty...

Plasterer is skimming the last wall this morning - he brought a picture book for Bear to look at.  It's called "Covenant With Death" and with published in 1934 by the Daily Express, and contains loads of photos taken during the first world war.  Grim?  Oh yes, and some.  There's a section at the end that has text beforehand to forewarn the reader that it contains photos which may upset sensitive readers etc. etc.and should on no account be shown to children.  No warning to Bears though, and boy was it grim.  Why on earth the likes of Hitler (who fought in WW1) wanted to send men into that again is a bl00dy mystery to me.

I have a book called The Western Front then & now showing the towns & villages as they were in 1918 and after they were rebuilt, The book was published in 1938. Two years later all the good work had been undone thanks to a certain Austrian hose painter

• Like 11
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Lurker said:

his work on dichotomous keys.

I had to Google that. However I then felt silly as I had taught such things but I really didn’t recall the term “dichotomous”. The use of such things occurred in science and computing., both of which I taught at various times. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1