The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. And yet another do nothing day. I seem to have got my appetite back so had to venture down to Tess Coes this afternoon.

3 hours ago, BoD said:

Have you tried doing it online.  It was straightforward and we got a choice of appointment times and locations all within the next few hours of entering our details.

Unfortunately that is not even offered as an option, the only way to book is by phone. I haven't tried again today but as the lines are open 8am to 8pm seven days a week I'll give it another try first thing tomorrow. Apparently they are fully booked up until the week before Christmas now. There is also the question of getting to the place which in my case the only viable means is by car, as its right in the town centre with all the Christmas shoppers and the roadworks to contend with. I intend to ask if they are doing the tests at weekends and if so get a Sunday appointment when I may if luck be able to find a parking space.

• Friendly/supportive 18

26 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Locally our numbers are dropping quickly.. mind you..the students have gone...

Baz

Not all universities - Portsmouth was in the news as a very low tested incidence, and we have, in a week of teasing, found two cases of more than three thousand tests.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BoD said:

Sorry about that.

I just assumed that it was available nationally on the .gov website.

https://www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test

I think Phil’s may be something specific to his local area. We live just over the border from Basildon and we are not getting mass testing. Our local council  put up a Twitter message on Friday evening for special testing for secondary age pupils. Our electoral ward seems to be having less Covid but we are surrounded by some with higher and increasing rates. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The roadworks saga goes on. Essex county council put down cones on the bit of road to separate the opposing lanes of traffic. They are now scattered across the road either by accident or design. It appears that no attempt has been made to any signage, like using a small sticking plaster on a gaping wound. 

2 hours ago, BoD said:

Sorry about that.

I just assumed that it was available nationally on the .gov website.

https://www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test

Its a local initiative, the only similar one in the home counties is Luton IIRC. Its aimed at those in badly affected areas of the borough who haven't been called in for a test.

36 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I think Phil’s may be something specific to his local area. We live just over the border from Basildon and we are not getting mass testing. Our local council  put up a Twitter message on Friday evening for special testing for secondary age pupils. Our electoral ward seems to be having less Covid but we are surrounded by some with higher and increasing rates. 

Likewise the area I live in is not affected as much as the surrounding areas and those resident in those areas most affected are the ones being tested. They are only testing those from certain postcodes that apply to those areas but the area I live in shares the same postcode as one of the areas we are included.

• Informative/Useful 8
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

The BEST version of Stars and Stripes Forever that I have ever heard!

I heard that Sousa would leave bits out of the published version of his works so that his band would sound better than anyone else's.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

First taking up on the comment made by Chrisf can somebody, anybody, explain why faggot, a delightful savoury delicacy in the British culinary arena,  should have become in the USA  a term of derision for homosexuals?

It's an interesting question and not easily satisfied by cursory internet searches. I did find an essay that explicitly stated (according to the author's opinion) that the term (as conjectured by multiple other internet sources) is not connected to bundles of sticks or the practice of 'fagging' in British Public Schools, which seem to be two of the most common (though certainly not authoritative) interpretations online.

Some sources suggest a Yiddish word as the origin. While there are many scatological words of Yiddish origin in common usage (largely due to the influence of Vaudeville, Yiddish-speaking comics) this doesn't really feel compelling to me. What is clear is that the origins of the term (in the relevant context) are unclear.

How a term for bundles of sticks became applied to food is a separate question.

There is some consensus that usage as a pejorative related to sexual orientation originated in the US in the early 20th century and had currency in Harlem in the Jazz age with references as early as 1914. The essay I saw indicated that terms like "fairy" substantially predated the term in question and that the use of "gay" had a non-specific, lascivious connotation from much earlier in the 19th century.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 8