The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

I think we had a little overnight rain, as it’s damp outside but no puddles! It’s Friday so that means I’ll shortly be heading off to the butchers to collect the weekly meat rations and hopefully a pastie for dinner. Once I’ve packed away all the rations I’ll have a second muggertea before heading off to the Trafford Centre.

After dinner I’ll finish making the fruit tea loaf I left soaking overnight, that should the kitchen smell nice for a couple of hours! After that, there are no firm plans, probably reading or doing some research. 

The fireplace in last nights post is hopefully the last one I’ll ever need to do! I’ve stripped and either polished or painted all the fireplaces in the house and this one makes it 8! Yes that’s correct 8, one in each bedroom (4) one each in the living room, dining room and finally one in the big cellar room, that will need a little bit of work doing to it, thankfully not stripping. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Up a bit late this morning, overslept a bit. The sore ankle kept me awake until I took a brace of co-codamols then I went out like a light. Good news is that the post has finally arrived, no nasty surprises and the only bumph was trying to get me to sign up for a mobile phone. I already have five mobile phones, thing is they are in the same condition as Monty Pythons parrot, dead! Thats because I used them so little so I've concluded that I don't need one. A visit to Tess Coes is in order otherwise I'm on a severe diet over the weekend. Last time I was there they had a special offer on their 'finest' mince tarts, they are really very good as those that I purchased early in the week have gone.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

Think about local care homes if appropriate - there's a lot of bored people who have been through their libraries a number of times and may appreciate something new.

Also hospitals and churches as well. They will be glad of things like books for sales etc. Once we've all been vaccinated of course.

• Like 11
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

POETS, again, works for me...

Yesterday the Long Island client confirmed their Financial Statement for October was correct/finalized, so they essentially seem to have gone and hidden in a bunker! :O

Nothing else happening here, the evening saw a very complicated (think 40+ people, many in an age demographic AND techo demographic that means they are clueless - but lovely people) Zoom attempt to get the choir together for a "party". Nice to see folks I've not seen for almost 9 months or more now. Heartwarming, but also sad as we all LOVE singing together and that's looking like we won't be together as a choir until mid-2021 at the earliest :(

Self-isolating means we've nothing planned for the weekend other than a couple of Zoom meetings with friends and family. Grocery delivery today between 2-4Pm, yay.

-2 first thing, +5 and overcast the forecast.

Hope the weekend starts well for everyone.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

Very chilly in workshop garage, heater on,  so I set about filling gaps between the corrugated roof and the partition walls I've built. That foam I've been bring from work came in useful again, cut into triangles and squeezed into each ripple.

The pedestrian door to the outside world also had some gaps sealed by frame adjustment, there is more to do.

Any aircraft landing with no damage to aircraft or persons is a good one.. The same applies to getting a keel off of the bench..it wasn't elegant, nor as easy as I'd hoped. But it it was achieved without damage to me or anything else. The bench is now sighing in relief, having  unloaded it, the dip under the weight, it has slowly risen up ..

The keel is now standing up the right way on its own.

The rest of the bench was cleared, and the wall round the window boxed in. The area where the radio was fitted is now clear, it's an obvious place for wall storage, but it's a long reach, so what to put there?

The radio is now mounted on the shelf above the chair, , it required modification to one vertical of the shelving unit, by shifting just the top, to the right by 2 inches.

A double socket was inserted into the ring main at a suitable point for the radio. Reception isn't fabulous, but I noticed it's got a socket for a 300ohm aerial so one has been ordered.

Then  two cross beams were cut and fitted to the roof main beams for the future lifting point. Two small sections of ceiling  panel were fitted..

We have outside 4 failed tumble dryers or washing machines , awaiting end of covid, for me to take them and some batteries to the scrappy. A raptor  has decided it's a good place to sit and eat.....rats

It on its second one in three days.. we're happy for it to keep on eating..

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Anyone else felt the cold today?

Been great catching up with everyone's lives - what a great way to see what others are doing.

Today has been fairly boring.  Waited around for work - it's the only problem with the late shift.  But I have a good few weeks ahead with work and I'm excited to start decorating for Christmas.

Anyone who puts decorations up in November...  I despair!

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Congratulations to Mick and the proud parents.

No frost here today and none forecast overnight so I doubt I shall hear the GD scraping her car windscreen just after 06.00 preparatory to setting off to work and i see that she has helped herself to one of the cans of de-icer that I keep kept in the hall ready for easy access when needed.  No need to bother with clearing the editor today but instead I can moan about the dumbcluck idle git of a milkman who decided the best place to leave our milk was in the middle of the drive just inside the gate.  Clearly he was too effin lazy to open the front gate and walk 25 feet to our front porch - I blieve herself has maf de hos management aware of her displeasure.

Talking of shifts I must admit to always being rather fond of late turns - morning free to do whatever without getting up too early and money saved because one could hardly go to the pub especially if your job didn't give you a chance to nip across the road for a swift half etc.  Early starts I have never liked one bit although at one stage when I was covering three jobs in the course of a rather long day it worked out that I was actually being paid night rate for lying in bed as the site of my Home Station required me to rise pretty early to catch an 05.15 ECS train to my first job of the day whereas said job was actually a brisk 10 minute walk from home so I didn't get up until after 06.00   I didn't mind nights either and definitely preferred them if I was working 12 hour shifts as they avoided the need to get up early.

I am commanded to createa fire in the wid burning stove so I had better head that way.

Enjoy the rest of your day and stay safe.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The bright sunshine this morning has been replaced by wet and wind. Just as well that one of my neighbours was having his TV aerial replaced as I went out to Tess Coes. I decided to have a little flutter on the Euromillions, 116 of them tonight so fingers crossed. 

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Ahh yes, PBDD's....

Sometimes employed by skullduggerous individuals in the mistaken belief that they will deny poor Poly of his spoils.  Poly got wise to such dirty lowdown tricks many moons ago and developed PBDD Jamming Devices, which not only render such gadgets useless they also give those wielding them a severe case of the galloping trots.  Game on.

They are called jamming devices because they use jam. Not any old jam though, its the stickiest most glutinous jam that its possible to find. The idea is that it is concealed within a cake but in such a way that as soon as a bite is taken it squirts out in all directions together with other cake contents such as cream. It also sticks like sh!t to Polybear fur so that he twists himself into knots trying to lick it off. We now have to devise a similar deterrent to prevent hippo's from decimating cake supplies.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 14