The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

38 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear is wondering if a couple of gammon steaks (still vacuum sealed) in the freezer are ok to eat.  They're dated April 2016....

:dontknow:

Vacuum still holding and been in the freezer all the time; I would certainly thaw them out then unwrap to see how they look, then cook them thoroughly, as you do with porcine product usually. If they look and taste OK, probably won't do any more than give you the nutrition you would normally derive from the 'fresh' ones. It's all down to how they're stored.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Our oven has died. We really liked it but the manufacturer no longer manufactures. We have replaced a few bits in the past but had decided if anything went we had identified a replacement. Of course we didn’t expect it to happen during a lockdown. However a replacement is scheduled to arrive in 10 days. Some functions like the grill still work so it won’t be too awkward. I suppose we could even make cakes in the combination microwave oven. 
Tony

Couldn’t happen at a worse time really. I hope you manage to sort it.

A few years ago we bought a microwave with a combined grill and oven.  We have only ever used it to ...er... microwave things.

• Like 12
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, BoD said:

Couldn’t happen at a worse time really. I hope you manage to sort it.

A few years ago we bought a microwave with a combined grill and oven.  We have only ever used it to ...er... microwave things.

It should be ok. I have double double checked the dimensions. It didn’t help that the dimensions on the retailer didn’t match the manufacturers. However the retailers were so wrong it wouldn’t have fitted in any standard 60cm cabinet. The manufacturer had a proper dimensioned diagram of the oven and a cabinet. Doorstep delivery will be fine. Aditi and I can get it in and we will sort out disposal of the old one later. Perhaps leaving it on the front  lawn might make it disappear!
Tony

• Friendly/supportive 17

Leipzig, just think, in ten years or so most this lovely city disappeared along with a lot of its people, some of which can be seen going about their business.  Only some saw what was coming in few years:(

Brian.

• Agree 11

49 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Our oven has died. We really liked it but the manufacturer no longer manufactures. We have replaced a few bits in the past but had decided if anything went we had identified a replacement. Of course we didn’t expect it to happen during a lockdown. However a replacement is scheduled to arrive in 10 days. Some functions like the grill still work so it won’t be too awkward. I suppose we could even make cakes in the combination microwave oven. 
Tony

Snap, so has ours, tripped the breaker just as the dinner was finishing, 15 years plus old, so I guess not too bad, we will have to do the online order tomorrow. pah is I believe the appropriate expletive.

G'night all

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

Evening All, 

Been much colder than of late but at least the sun has been out.

Housework am, and tidying up outside this afternoon and a bit of shed time after tea.

Tony_S hope you manage ok until new cooker arrives.

Sold some Milk of Mag last week in the pharmacy.

Unfortunately not much else to report so goodnight,

Robert

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Tony_S hope you manage ok until new cooker arrives.

Sold some Milk of Mag last week in the pharmacy.

Unfortunately not much else to report so goodnight,

Robert

We could eat Indian food for a while! That is more hob based than oven. We even have a gas barbecue but unlike some other ERs I am not enthusiastic about outside cooking in winter. 
Milk of Magnesia (in a small blue bottle?) seemed to be in my parents medicine cabinet. I never knew it had laxative properties, I only recall my Mum suggesting it for indigestion. Fortunately indigestion hasn’t afflicted me much! I don’t have indigestion now either but I think the latest medicine I have added to my intake has antacid properties to counteract the effects of aspirin daily. Proton pump inhibitor sounds grander than anti acid!

• Like 14
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

11 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

We could eat Indian food for a while! That is more hob based than oven. We even have a gas barbecue but unlike some other ERs I am not enthusiastic about outside cooking in winter. 
Milk of Magnesia (in a small blue bottle?) seemed to be in my parents medicine cabinet. I never knew it had laxative properties, I only recall my Mum suggesting it for indigestion. Fortunately indigestion hasn’t afflicted me much! I don’t have indigestion now either but I think the latest medicine I have added to my intake has antacid properties to counteract the effects of aspirin daily. Proton pump inhibitor sounds grander than anti acid!

Antacids neutralise the acid that the stomach produces whereas proton pump inhibitors don’t neutralise the acid, they stop it being formed in the first place.

• Informative/Useful 18

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Missed a meeting tonight, forgot all about it, an illustrated talk by one of the SEERS members. Not to worry as it wasn't a subject that I'm terribly interested in. Ovens breaking down, as I mentioned I haven't used the oven for ages, I'm not even sure if it does work. I won't be using it, not even to cook C*******s dinner as I will be using the grill for the meat, the dry fryer as a mini fan oven for the roast veg and the micro for the green veg. I recall Christmases when I was a nipper. Us youngsters were in the living room opening and playing with our pressies with mum or dad or a visiting grandparent putting their head around the door on occasion to check that we were behaving ourselves. Mum and dad, with any visiting grandparent were busying themselves in the kitchen preparing Christmas dinner which always seemed to take all of the morning. One Christmas day we had both pairs of grandparents visiting and us (3) kids had to sit at a small side table to eat our Christmas dinner.

45 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Leipzig, just think, in ten years or so most this lovely city disappeared along with a lot of its people, some of which can be seen going about their business.  Only some saw what was coming in few years:(

Brian.

That was my thought but the main Bahnhoff appears to have survived more or less intact except for some modern fast food outlets who's garish signs seem out of place. It is also the largest railway station in Germany.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

It should be ok. I have double double checked the dimensions. It didn’t help that the dimensions on the retailer didn’t match the manufacturers. However the retailers were so wrong it wouldn’t have fitted in any standard 60cm cabinet. The manufacturer had a proper dimensioned diagram of the oven and a cabinet. Doorstep delivery will be fine. Aditi and I can get it in and we will sort out disposal of the old one later. Perhaps leaving it on the front  lawn might make it disappear!
Tony

Replaced ours last Friday 13th I managed to hurt my back juggling the microwave that sits above it... Lugged the old one outside and phoned the metal fairy and it was collected Monday morning.

Night awl.

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, skipepsi said:

Replaced ours last Friday 13th I managed to hurt my back juggling the microwave that sits above it... Lugged the old one outside and phoned the metal fairy and it was collected Monday morning.

Night awl.

Hopefully ours will be quite simple. I did fit the current one and the original one in 1990. Aditi is going to insist in helping with the lifting even though I have done this task by myself before. Your phone call mention  has reminded me, I think a near neighbour has a metal fairy contact number. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2