The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

BIN day, they're already serviced with the constant parade of BIN trucks around the neighborhood...

Yesterday the choir/scholar get together went exceptionally well, and by all accounts from the tech. folks the result is of good quality.

Great to see those people again, albeit from a distance and all behind masks! Also, singing in masks is actually far clearer than we expected!!!

18 people spread around the main church with recording equipment and cameras all over the place is a very bizarre sight!

Some day we'll be able to meet again the "real way" <sigh>

On the weather front, was -1 first thing, has just started to lightly snow AND we have thunder and lightning! It's VERY overcast, dark and dreary outside.

Apparently having provided the second largest snowfall EVER in October, on Tuesday, hasn't phased the weather gods one bit :O :jester:

Carry on -  (I think I may go take a nap on the couch with Whitney!!)

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. 

4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I wonder what percentage of visitors (not traders or exhibitors) drive to Alexandra Palace? I have always gone by train and bus for the last hill!

As The Q said below.

4 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I believe Heathrow Terminal 4 may be vacant for the foreseeable future.  And it comes with it sown tube station (also currently unserved but that'a a minor detail!) 

There's a lot of empty department stores in the High Streets. I was thinking about suggesting them as an exhibition venue but the same reasons as to why they are empty also apply such as the enormous parking charges. 

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

I've not been to the unmentionables show there, but I do normally go to the National Dinghy Exhibition and the car parks and surrounding area are full during the two days..

For those of us well outside London, it's a lot quicker and cheaper to go to the show by road than rail.

For me to use rail it would be..

Half hour by car to the nearest station, (there is no public transport there from our village). 

3 hours train to Norwich , wait around a bit and on to London.

half hour including transfer time from Liverpool street to Ally pally..

then that **** walk up that hill.

So 4 hours if the connections are right.. at a price of about  £60

Or

2.5 hours by car 135 miles 3 gallons of fuel about £5:20 (each way) and then that ***** walk up that hill..

If forced Not to use the car inside the north Circular. I'd actually drive to a station just outside that had parking and get the train in for the last bit.. but parking and train would still add a significant cost.

The same applies even nearer to London. There are very few alternatives to rail travel and that being more geared to commuter traffic M-F is often disrupted at weekends by engineering work. IMHO the ExCel Centre is preferable to Alley Pally as the couple of times I've attended events there there has been plenty of free parking some distance away with a free bus link to the centre. Mind you that was a few years ago and things may have changed.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

GDB - do you have a back-to-back gauge to check the wheelsets on your pp-prairie?  Careful study of how it goes wrong - if you can face the testing - should indicate which bit comes off first and likely causes especially the b-to-b (particularly on the pony trucks) and the spring tension on the leading truck or if a screw is too tight stop the trucks turning properly.

Thanks Mike and yes I do have said gauge and all appears correct in that department.  No spring on the pony truck but the screw was loose.  I know this because they (the pony truck and screw) fell off completely at one stage!  That explains the derailing problem and is now resolved.  Stalling on points is another matter but I'm getting there with some tweaking and re-levelling and even un-levelling.  

Regarding Mr P.Bear's comment about sending it back there doesn't appear to be anything much wrong with the loco itself (apart from the loose screw, both on the loco and in my head).  Well not quite true now because in my temper enthusiasm grabbing hold of it I managed to break one of the front stays and a sand box off the back  (now glued back on) but I can't return it because of that.  It was stalling on 5 different points at slow speed but I've got that down to two.  It will now trundle around at half speed over everything.

If it wasn't for the calming influence of The Boss and her delicious ginger cake this afternoon it may have become more damaged but things are improving.  SMOG tonight with Shiraz and another glass now helped things along and I may well test a bit more of the Caol Ila later.

• Friendly/supportive 19

What is it with consumables with fireworks this year seems to have been a lot going off the last couple off nights, it seemed to have stopped for last couple of years through tougher legislation but it seems to have slipped.

Excel is fairly easy to get to in last experience ,suppose it is a case as how long it is in use as a Nightingale Hospital. Like similar venues up and down the country.

As with adverts the following has appeared. Not that it's difficult to look at and better looking than the saw mill of late 

Screenshot_20201022-200440.png

• Like 13

On further investigations ie looking out of the bedroom window the fireworks seeem a fair distance off they are loud but we are not getting the reverb that we get if they very close. They are over the line of trees at the edge of the Cemetery I'm wondering if They are from a venue and have been sold on for a bit of extra cash. Also noticed some green laser lights in the sky from the Leeds direction wonder if it's Barry O of this parish signalling for his air drop of Harrods Xmas pudding.

• Funny 16

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Our woodburner is in disgrace, there was an awful bang of metal cracking and now the bottom damper doesn't seem to, well, damp, now.  It is of course totally inaccessible without dismantling the whole thing, which will probably damage the refactory, which is mucho ££££ as its Norwegian. Grrr. Its hot in here tonight!

Are those naughty welders still on the island? Repairing your damper might be possible. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 15

3 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

It was 45 in my case, and again at 55, where I felt things 'slow down'.

Q, yes 'carb 'flu' is a thing.  Takes a few months to wear off, then you get carb craving.....still hits me once a week or so, I eat one of those oaty bars on a day when I have been 'good' and that seems to keep it at bay.

Our woodburner is in disgrace, there was an awful bang of metal cracking and now the bottom damper doesn't seem to, well, damp, now.  It is of course totally inaccessible without dismantling the whole thing, which will probably damage the refactory, which is mucho ££££ as its Norwegian. Grrr. Its hot in here tonight!

Ooh refractory brick we used to deliver it in industrial quantities to Aldwark and Scunthorpe steelworks and about 20 tonne a month of domestic stuff usually to Aga Rayburn in the Stoke area and various hardware wholesalers. I got some rayburn bricks for a family friend at a substantial saving at one time. 

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Yesterday the choir/scholar get together went exceptionally well, and by all accounts from the tech. folks the result is of good quality.

Aditi’s French group assume their Christmas party will be using Zoom. They like a sing song of festive French tunes. I was pleased to be able to find YouTube videos of how to do Zoom sing-alongs. Even how to livestream to YouTube. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Kicked off as soon as released from prison, Tony!  All sorts of sob stories in the UK press from them, but the truth is rather more prosaic.  One local given 6 weeks yesterday too - went to McDonalds with his mates.....

I don't really know what has happened to the stove, the mechanism for the damper is buried between two plates and I doubt is able to be repaired without dismantling the whole thing, which isn't an option at the moment.  I have an idea what has happened, if only I could see the relevant part!  I may be able to block it up somehow, it is only needed to light up anyway, and isn't used for long - the top vent does all the work.  It just takes a bit longer to light without the bottom air (steadyyyy!).

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. An item appeared in the paper the other day about which second hand cars had the least problems. Needless to say the top cars were Japanese or Korean. The top three, all Japanese got the perfect score of 100%. One car failed dismally with a score of only 40%. I cant remember the make but the indicators had hardly been used.

43 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

With a "Tallboy"? :bye:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/14/europe/poland-tallboy-bomb-explodes-scli-intl/index.html

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 10