The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Afternoon all

Strangely the boss has something stuck in the hose of her shark vacuum in the most awkward part possible so far i have tried various methods of removing the obstuction to no avail. Really need to dismantle the handle to straighten that bit of hose and Bob is your mother's brother. Guess What tamper proof screws not the y head but like a Phillips head but at the point where the slot crosses is a little pin stuck up. Bar stewards

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl, 

Yep never had,  discos,  proms,  careers advice,  at any of the three secondary schools I attended , it was just walk out of the school gate wondering what you do next... 

Welcome to Much Shelving near the Marsh. 

First job today was varnish the stern,  a quick light rub down with 3m grit pads first to key the surface first. Then a quick coat of varnish. 

I then cut many Batten pieces , 

A visit to the sailing club then followed, I arrived just after the first start,   they had a good turnout,  bacon butty enjoyed, annual membership paid,  but the wind was so light,  they were struggling to get back to the buoy nearest the club. So I departed fairly soon after. 

The shelving first had end plates of OSB fitted,  to which the end battens were screwed. 

Doublers to the front of the old shelves for the extensions to be screwed down on to. 

The extensions were 54inches by 8.5 inches. 

The bottom two shelves were then loaded with stuff from the work bench

The top is currently occupied by tools and electrical bits and pieces for the rewiring

Then a shelf was part fitted above the workbench window,  more work on that needed. 

Then I spotted SWMBOs old ghetto blaster, which has been donated for workshop entertainment.  A couple of brackets screwed to the wall to the right of the bench window,  a bit of spare wood and the blaster nicely fits the space. 

Peg boards were fitted to the back of the pedestrian door,  some tools were hung from it. 

Next week electrics again,  four sockets under the ghetto blaster,  and two on the end plate of the shelf unit for the lathe. 

Lighting,  after this posting I'm perusing led strip lights,  both for general lighting and,  work area lighting.. 

Bye for now.. 

• Like 14

Vacuum now fixed thanks to brute force an old curtain rod saved for such an eventuality. And the brute force of myself and the eldest. My back is now agony but the boss can continue with hoovering. And i can keep hold of the pennies. A result in our favour. Talking of weird adverts i have just had one come up for a sawmill only 3 grand ex vat with free shipping. Only tree i have is an acer japonica in a pot. Just watching Goodwood on itv plus 1

Currently a lotus f1 from 82 in black John Player Special livery i used to hsve a matchbox model. Its a fastest lap contest with various cars. There have been f1 lemans cars touring cars 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The lad comes home from his (Café Rouge) breakfast this morning, with the newspapers, and makes a 'phone call to me from the front path -  all of about 15 feet away from me to ask if the backdoor is open.  The reason - fast asleep in the porch and on the doormat immediately outside the front door was a fox.   As soon as I started to unlock the door he was up and retreated a few feet away from the door and once I opened the door he headed, very much at his own leidsurely pace, for the front gate.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

Afternoon all

Strangely the boss has something stuck in the hose of her shark vacuum in the most awkward part possible so far i have tried various methods of removing the obstuction to no avail. Really need to dismantle the handle to straighten that bit of hose and Bob is your mother's brother. Guess What tamper proof screws not the y head but like a Phillips head but at the point where the slot crosses is a little pin stuck up. Bar stewards

A set like this often defeats the cockwomble designers:

https://www.toolstation.com/draper-security-bit-set/p52910?store=W5&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh5urnL6-7AIVCYBQBh05ZQU9EAQYASABEgKV2_D_BwE

In other news:

Bear spent the morning working on the kitchen refurb - today was backfilling a void behind a door frame stile with mortar.  Didn't rate very highly on the fun factor scoreboard, especially cleaning up afterwards.

I saw one of my best buddies (aka next-door neighbour) over the back fence briefly; his missus now has the bright idea of maybe moving to Frinton or Burnham on Crouch in order to be mortgage free.  It's only a few weeks ago she was thinking that a caravan may be a good idea.  She has these bright ideas, whilst buddy next door ends up looking after the fallout, maintenance etc.  And it's not that long ago that I recall him saying to me that she'll come up with a brainwave then simply stick it on the mortgage to pay for it.....

It could be a passing fad idea, or it could be serious - there's a risk that I could end up "losing" a buddy and worry about what sort of new neighbours I could end up with.  Buggeration.

It would be a "one-way trip" for them - the prices shoot up very quickly where we are (Herts) - certainly a lot faster than Frinton etc. so trying to come back again to the same area would be very difficult in the future, barring a lottery win.

• Friendly/supportive 17

58 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

A charity I was secretary of was criticised by the auditor because no one ever claimed any expenses apart from such things as postage stamps.

Jamie

A charity I volunteer for positively encourages us to claim all expenses, then if we are so inclined, we can donate them back with the benefit of "Gift Aid" from HMRC.

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

We had a prom at college which wss a mobile bar and disco set up in the common room.  It was black tie then a few of us ended up in a nightclub in town which was interesting to say the least some thought we were bouncers 

That wasn't Kiko's was it.

Jamie

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon/Evening all from Estuary-Land. No visit to town today, by the time I'd sorted a few things out it was too late. I might hobble down later in the week, trying to make my way around the building sites. Must remember to turn the gogglebox on at nine for the political thriller Roadkill.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Afternoon all

I was going to suggest a torq, but you have sorted out the problem.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

...snip...  On one hand, it does prevent electrically and mechanically competent individuals from repairing something that is eminently repairable with the provision of a new part; but on the other hand, it does prevent incompetent, moronic and brainless cockwombles from getting into the guts of what could be potentially dangerous machinery ...snip...

Or am I being unduly and excessively cynical and pessimistic?

That reminds me of when I found a nice track light fixture at a flea market, I bought it (really cheap, about a dollar or so) and when I got it home and installed into the track (same manufacturer), it did not light. I removed it and noticed upon examination that one of the brass tabs that should engage the power rail in the track was broken off. I called the manufacturer and to get a replacement part; "Oh no, we do not sell parts. If you install it wrongly and cause serious damage, you might sue us."  My response was: " So I make a replacement part and it fails and causes some serious damage, then I could sue your company saying that you failed to provide me with a suitable replacement part." He had no answer to that.

• Like 17

15 hours ago, chrisf said:

I shudder to think just how much money is spent by charities on begging letters, and how many potentially sympathetic supporters are alienated by these tactics.

Most of our mail these days consists of such letters;  our bin is generally overflowing as invariably they go straight there from the post box.  The charity business is hard to understand, the money spent asking for money must be the reason they continually ask for more money!:unsure:   We even get nickels or dimes enclosed - could never figures that one out.:excl:

"Are there no workhouses".................................................

Brian.

• Friendly/supportive 11

10 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

f this trend of replace instead of repair continues

Never fix anything myself these days except for minor jobs, as in the past it seemed I always had to call a repairman anyway!

Brian.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear's money is on a Hippo Fart.....:jester:

That's not a Hippos Fart.  This is a Hippo Fart .....

In other news I am wondering if Mike @The Stationmastermay be able to identify this vessel sighted off Gurnard's Head and making her way up the Bristol Channel.  

4419C5A8-56A3-4334-84DB-B8CE006E16A8.jpeg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Riddles said:

A charity I volunteer for positively encourages us to claim all expenses, then if we are so inclined, we can donate them back with the benefit of "Gift Aid" from HMRC.

I think the charity can also reclaim the VAT paid - but only if a receipt is available. They can therefore benefit twice from an expenses claim.

• Informative/Useful 11