The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Another fun day cleaning :(  About a half-day's worth to do - the TV, HDD, Video etc. , which is a pain cos' there are loads of cables to do as well.....:angry:  Everything not bolted down or not classed as "furniture" has  also gone upstairs - the room looks decidedly bare with no pictures, ornaments etc - heading towards minimalism.  The look has real possibilities - the next job after the kitchen refurb is the lounge refurb; part of me would like to do some of the messy bits in parallel with doing the kitchen, however I don't think doing two rooms at the same time is good for what little sanity I have left.  I'll just have to do a much better job of sealing off the new kitchen than I've done for sealing off the lounge.

Much of the lounge furniture has been grouped together and sheeted over (better late than never) - no way do I want this lark again.

Sister Gob & 'Ooter turned up at 9am for the C-19 doorstep test - soon done; not exactly fun but no hardship on the grand scale of things.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

Evening all, congrats to the new Grandad and family, hope every one is in fine shape, we had a super day out in Perth with the Grandsons, picnic lunch in the garden, a nice walk and a takeaway tea, only downside was the birthday boy insisted we had a Mackie D's, that stuff sure is tasteless garbage, however it filled a hole.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, southern42 said:

One trip to the Store, and one double screw acquired, and the nest (or rather loads of large twigs) - plus DEAD JACKDAW - came tumbling down filling two bin liners. 

That's Sunday Lunch sorted then.......:chok_mini:

• Funny 19

• RMweb Premium

Evening all. 

Congrats HH!

Sunny but windy day at the office. Hat trick finished the game! All bowled so not much involvement from me!

The person in charge of Leeds City Council is saying that, while the number of positive cases is rising they don't want to be seen as big brother handing out lockdowns... not the best thing to say (or do) at the moment.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Reading John's blog on the demonstration in Trafalgar Square by the anti-vaxers/Covid is a hoax/5G conspiracy theorists if I was Corvid-19 positive I would be tempted to join their demonstration before self isolating. More mundane things, spider season is upon us, I've just had to rescue a rather large spider from the kitchen sink for the second time today. I don't kill spiders as they keep insects such as moths down. Congratulations HH on becoming a granddad and I hope it doesn't leave a big hole in your modelling tokens. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

As I have done from early on I too look at the published numbers and the trends.  

For the UK detected infections are rising sharply but ostensibly it is known where those cases are since those tested must leave their details.  Daily updates on localised rates of infection are available (via the BBC website at least) showing by local authority area - and searchable by postcode - the current figures. 

Which brings me to another point.  London's Mayor Khan has been jumping up and down in the past 24-48 hours over "Sharply rising rates" in London yet this is not borne out by those same figures.  The trend and the weekly cumulative figures for most London Boroughs are actually down.  Of those which are rising, and of note they seem to be in areas of high-density low-income demographics with significantly non-white populations, they are rising at a rate I would call slowly.  

What am I missing?  Who is right?  Who is possibly misleading or being misled?  These things are important right now.  The infection rate for London Borough of Richmond-upon-Thames which includes the Hill of Strawberries is below the nationwide average and the number of cases is falling.  Because of fewer tests being available?  Because fewer of the tests are positive?  Or what?  

I suspect it is our dear mayor clamouring for attention as usual - he’s got a deferred election campaign to run and as you say London rates remain relatively low. He is of course a politician- and I am always reminded that when “political” first became a term to describe someone in the (I think) 16th century, it was an insult. How does the saying go? Those that seek power are the least deserving of it.

• Like 11
  • Agree 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

We spoke to Amelia this morning and wished her a happy birthday, it was nice to talk to her as we haven’t seen or spoken to her since March! After that I disappeared to the workshop where I did a little more painting of the control panel fascia, basically tidying up the amendments I made last weekend. I then made a start on the vacuum motor platform I’m making for the bridge. So far I’ve cut out the actual platform footboards and fitted some angle below, tomorrow I’ll start on the support framework. It’s all being made using guess work from a number of photos I’ve been able to find on-line. 

Tonight’s meal was once again chicken curry, served with aloo saag, onion bhaji, vegetable pakora and naan bread. This was followed later by a bottle of red. 

Richard. Congratulations on becoming a grandfather again. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Today being rather cool outside (to me at least) at 528°R, I decided to see if the heat is working. I have a dual-mode unit, heat and ac so I set the thermostat to four degrees above the inside temp; the heat came up and it felt almost warm enough to toast marshmallows! :yahoo_mini: One less thing to worry about this winter season.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

There are three versions of what we say today.

A) What we actually say.

B) What Jamie puts in the minutes

And 

C) What Jamie actually does.

At work, after a few meetings, one person observed "He who writes the minutes controls the meeting".

• Like 8
  • Agree 7