The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Afternoon all, I did see some of the morning, but not much, up till well after midnight doing the family tree again, no way I can remember it all, at some point I will see if I can print it off. Weather looks ok, we seem to have dodged the forecast storm, we might try a cycle ride in a bit, failing that some muddling might take place, at some point I need to bite the bullet and try doing some weathering of bits spuriously labelled as "kettles" by some.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Just been looking at the EFE rail thread. I would advise not doing the same if you don't want to lose the will to live. Post after post grumbling about the price of the Hymek which is a re-introduction of the Heljan model. The basic complaint is that it now costs more than it did when introduced 17 years ago. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, southern42 said:

Here she is turning in the wind in Douglas Harbour August 2000 - not a lot of room!

IMG_2270a.jpeg.664620927a4456017992626b0489c526.jpeg

Yes, she knows how to stir up the water!

We had just returned from a day ashore and had to wait harbourside until the Ferry was safely out of the way before venturing onto our own little vessel being thrown all over the place, pictured.  Glad we were not on board when she came in!

Funnily, enough, we had decided to escape the high water turmoil of Port St Mary for the quieter waters of Douglas...

IMG_2268a.jpeg.8604b24bb4d0a08b1e3057f3466bbd00.jpeg

And you try drawing straight lines on a rockin' and a rollin' boat!  View from our cockpit drawn inside the cabin out of the weather.

Wonderful invention the bow thrust motor although it must have done a lot of damage to the tug industry. SS Avalon on the Harwich-Hook route was one of the first to be so equipped I believe (1964).

I recall a ferry turning in Newhaven Harbour (they often reversed out and turned beyond the harbour) and it must have been within 6 feet of the yachts moored on the west bank of the river.

Back in the day, tight turns in the harbour basin were also performed at Dieppe and St Malo but the ferry berths have been relocated since to accommodate bigger ferries.

These days, you can even buy a narrowboat with bow thrusts. Seems like cheating to me. Half the fun of canal boating is struggling to manoeuvre a narrowboat in a crosswind. But perhaps necessary now that the canals are so crowded.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Post after post grumbling about the price of the Hymek which is a re-introduction of the Heljan model. The basic complaint is that it now costs more than it did when introduced 17 years ago. 

I don't know how much it cost when introduced but the RPI multiplier for the last 17 years is approximately 1.6 so if it was more than £100 at that time it is relatively cheaper now. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 6

Greetings 

Where to start today 

Chris F   ah the little chef Olympic aka the credit card breakfast, a fantastic plate full. Years ago one of the drivers brought in a menu from Shepshed truckstop now that breakfast is gargantuan the veritable heart attack on a plate.

Ferry crossings 

Crossed the channel Newhaven to Dieppe and return that wasnt bad.

Done Ardrossan to Brodick and return a couple of times 

Took Swmbo on a river trip in York her breakfast went over the side so boat trips are out 

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

You mean you actually watch the match? I thought the whole idea of American football was to consume large amounts of junk food, drink lots of ice cold, fizzy, coloured, water (excuse me, I mean “beer”)  And be coerced into buying things you don’t really need whilst in the background a number of overpaid, over armoured so-called “athletes” run in to each other at full tilt.

You forgot include watching the cheerleaders............

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

That looks familiar,  have a look at Reedham ferry, https://www.reedhamferry.co.uk/chain-ferry/#:~:text=There has been a crossing,when the ferry became motorised. Owned by the pub at one end . Surprisingly the pub is called the Reedham Ferry. It's been in use at least the early 1600s, and was hand pulled until 1950..

Afternoon awl, 

Three vertical beams were installed at the entrance way to the alleyway ,  with various shaped pieces joining the in order change from the angle of the shed to that of the step going across to the MhRC.

The barbeque area was extended from an E to having an extra vertical and horizontal.  This used up some otherwise dead space. I was going to use a wooden lid, but found one of the larger aluminium  shelves at 90degrees plus the one smaller one fill the gap nicely.  That will have to wait till next week, once the new breeze block and brick wall has set. 

Some small bits of ply were cut for muddling,  and a small piece of mahogany to hang below the jib club, having the registration marks on it.  

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, southern42 said:

I may have been influenced by the final comment made back on our mooring by our youngest who came with us, and contributed to the log with her own drawings: "Can Mum stop drawing now?"  I think I may have gone overboard on it!

I bet that made the paper soggy! :P

By the way congratulations on winning 

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Despite rumours to the contrary, I am still active around here - albeit not quite so often as I should be.  The excuse is the same one that I have been using now for weeks - that 30747 has got the decorating bug big style, and the latest victim candidate is the smallest office/bedroom, which as with every other room tackled has needed ALL the junk stuff clearing out then sorting out, then putting back.  It's not just a case of papering and painting.  Also, the problems with the new laptop appear to be behind me now, as once the Firefox cookie files, and so on were transferred to this machine, FIrefox started to behave as I wanted it to, and I was able to login here without any refusals, and was also able to access the social media sites which I frequent.

So now it's generic greetings, and an expression of hope that all are well, and not suffering too much under the current non lockdown except for where there is a lockdown situation.  I am sure that a lot of water has passed under this particular bridge, but I won't be paddling upstream to try to revisit the missed pages - as there's probably about fifty in total.  If there is anything significant that I should know, perhaps some kindly sould would PM me with an update.  Thanks a lot.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Winds have died down quite a bit but there was a rain shower earlier. Trying to catch up on Facebook, they're going to introduce a new format next month, even more user UNfriendly than the present system by the appearance of it. They ask for input and I've told them what I think of it but thats probably filed away somewhere. I mentioned earlier about the EFE rail thread, I see Andy Y has rapped a few knuckles and it seems a lot more peaceful now.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Is it me or did anyone else spot the advert (for Raleigh bicycles) on a hoarding on one of the layouts (can’t remember which) featured in last months BRM. As soon as I saw it thought that the man wearing a bicycle on his nose looked like Billy Connolly. 

So here’s a before

A66BCD88-68D6-414E-9C3F-94C9D9793B2E.jpeg.253c4c951d71a076ae9a8e7864cd76f6.jpeg

and after,

A62440F4-2F66-4A0E-85F2-530236C3E080.jpeg.f33c5d63f6f2431f0f2fb55ee7dc8ef8.jpeg

what do you think?

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

When I have done jet washing at work with the council we were limited to 20 minutes in a session due to the vibration of the lance. HAVS or Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome was very strictly recorded depending on the task you were doing and your Occupational health assesment

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

We couldn't even get my mother to go on a trip around the bay on most holidays. In 1961 we managed to get her onto an excursion train which dropped us at Windermere then picked us up from Lakeside, the intermediate leg being a cruise Bowness - Ambleside - Lakeside.

The final nail came in 1964 when Dad, Sister and I decided we were going on a no-passport trip to France when staying in Folkestone. On the chosen morning the sea was a flat calm so we persuaded her to come along. The ship was a bit old and weighed about 3000 tons.

By the evening the French coast was covered in a thick fog and when we got half way across we ran into a full gale and it took half an hour of shuffling around to get into the harbour. She refused to come even as far as the beach with us the next day and to my knowledge the only vessel she ever went on after that was the King Harry Ferry.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15