The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning, Happy Birthday for yesterday Eric.........................rain and wind forecast, so not much planned, I am still trying to spend modelling tokens on flea bay but keep getting out bid, some folk seem to have more money than sense.....................or am I becoming even tighter than I was?

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Great news about Gemma, GDB.

The rain earlier (aka Ark Time) has stopped and it is gloriously sunny now - typical Isle of Fraggle weather!  Humidity 92% though, gooey.

OK, off to the club.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, AndyB said:

we suspect because a piece of course work had been lost by the teacher

That happened to Matthew. However the teacher Economics GCSE) admitted immediately to him that she had lost it (flew away from the back seat of her car, a BMW convertible). She said “do you have any notes or evidence I can mark?” . He said he would bring in a complete reprint next day or she could have it that day if she let him go home. She told us what had happened too.

Tony

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Blowing a hooley outside at the moment but at least its dry and forecast to stay that way. Neil, I can guarantee that within a very short time you'll be wondering how you had time to go to work.

30 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Morning, Happy Birthday for yesterday Eric.........................rain and wind forecast, so not much planned, I am still trying to spend modelling tokens on flea bay but keep getting out bid, some folk seem to have more money than sense.....................or am I becoming even tighter than I was?

Your a Scotsman, its in the job description.:jester: Seriously though, I set myself a limit on e-bay and stick to it. About two thirds of items I get before the limit is reached and about one third I'm outbid. If I'm the first bidder I start out by bidding just above the minimum amount and quite often I'm the only bidder. Just realised that I'm almost out of milk, just enough for a couple of mugs of tea so I'll have to venture out shortly for more.

• Like 12
  • Funny 2

51 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

We have a slaughter house quite close by and when the wind is in the right direction and when the temperatures are up, it can be quite noxious, but that is one of the downsides of living in that rural idyll that townies like to think of as the countryside.  The other side of the compass we have a large chicken farm that is cleaned out every couple of months, and that too has an aroma all of it's own.  I wish that such folk would actually realise is the 'countryside' is the biggest industrial unit in the whole of the UK.

Add to that the usual stuff that farmers spread on the fields as fertilisers and you can begin to gather why I have large nostrils and an extremely strong constitution.

Around here, when new neighbours are not complaining of the smells, they whine about low flying helicopters.

Well, you bought a house under one of the low flying training areas of the Defence Flying School, so what do you expect?

A friend of the Obergrumpenfuhrer bought a house in Headcorn about 25 years ago, whenever we visit she complains about the noise from aircraft at the local airfield.

I've told her, that:

1. The airfield was operating there long before she bought here house in the area.

2. Stop moaning.........until you've lived close to the threshold of QRA airfield you have little to complain about in the noise department.

A friend whose father was a farmer told us that a local rendering plant had got the contract to dispose of dead dolphins (or whales?) that had beached on the east coast. I bet that was a sight and smell never to forget.

Robert

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, polybear said:

I had a feeling that squeezing in that last D&S Wagon Kit into the Great Unbuilt K*t Cupboard on the wall was a mistake....anyone got any polyfilla?

IMG_0889.JPG.3ea0cb41219b09b9f95b0c849e863e41.JPG

I'd be interested in the opinions of fellow ERer's as regards pro's and cons of various suppliers of self-install kitchens - Wickes, B&Q, Ikea, Magnet, possibly Howdens etc. etc.

We've had one self fix kitchen from Howdens which was very good, and a B&Q kitchen which was supplied and fitted by themselves.  The B&Q one was put in very well, and prompted us to have one fitted in one of the Obergrumpenfuhrer's rental properties.  The Howden self fit was used as we had a very good offer from them, and we will probably use them again in a new build we are involved with, although we will get them to install as well as supply. (It is  more cost effective for us to do it this way.)

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, skipepsi said:

Sadly it was decreed that teachers should have performance management which is pass rates for SATs, GCSEs and A levels etc which are all also used for grading schools. This would work well if children were tins of beans but they are individuals and have a multitude of needs or difficulties which require attention. The truth now that your child can be a failure before they start in reception disgusts me but watching nursery teachers assessing children rather than nurturing them is what the system demands. Two years left to retirement and I have met and observed a lot of great teachers burn themselves out trying to combine teaching and recording. 

I will not even start on headteachers who think sacking female teachers over the age of 50 is the right thing to do...

Rant over.

On your last point, that is something that ought to be taken up by the union as there's discrimination on at least two counts there - to say nothing of the presumable financial motivation to get rid of a teacher well up the main pay scale. The head in question is clearly blessed with supine governors; it would do them good to be shaken up by having to go to a tribunal.

As a late-entrant not-very-successful secondary science teacher, I've seen the pressures that teachers have been put under by school leadership - focusing effort on those pupils who can be moved up from 3 to 4 (D to C in old money), to the neglect of those scraping along at the bottom or indeed those who might be got up from 6 to 7+ (B to A). I've also seen the professionalism with which teachers have taken those instructions with a pinch of salt and done their best for all their pupils. 

• Like 14
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

'On your last point, that is something that ought to be taken up by the union as there's discrimination on at least two counts there - to say nothing of the presumable financial motivation to get rid of a teacher well up the main pay scale. The head in question is clearly blessed with supine governors; it would do them good to be shaken up by having to go to a tribunal.'

Sadly of those I have seen disposed of their morale and self esteem is so low they just leave.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold

If he will allow a member of this forum, AndyRam, was one such committed individual whose head made life impossibly difficult such that the end result was that he was lost to education.  Thankfully he is establishing himself in the model railway supply field and personally delivered to his customers during Covid to keep it going.

• Like 3
  • Agree 15
  • Round of applause 1

Morning all (just!).  Blowing a hoolie here as you might expect.  I am looking out on a very angry looking Irish Sea today.  The heavy rain earlier has given way to a little sunshine.  My poor runner beans are now cocooned in some windbreak material, which is hopefully protecting them from the worst of the wind - time will tell.  Cooking apples have been blown off our tree, so I have used some of them this morning by making apple chutney.  It is currently “brewing” as I write this.  I haven’t made apple chutney before, so I hope it turns out well.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Our friend Russ next door gave us a load of cooking apples and I have made some individual apple pies this morning.  They don't look very pretty but when they've cooled down I'm hoping that the taste will make up for it.

This afternoon I will be making my version of  Cornish Pasties ..... Sutton pasties!

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 13
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Greetings all from Sidcup where the wind is blowing the clouds over at quite a rate.

Mrs Lurker went into town yesterday to meet friends for lunch. Her observations as to who was not wearing masks chime with those of Roundhouse (those statistically most vulnerable), plus the overweight businessman on the Thameslink, feet on the seats and drinking a can of strongbow at 4 in the afternoon. 

I was going to be off work today but we have two different situations involving Tanzania that need dealing with today (tax legal so can't wait til Monday). In any case, the weather's not brill so we would not be doing much anyway.

Thinking of pleasant smells, i used like the journey to and from town when i was a kid because we used to go past Peek Freans on the approach to London Bridge ;not only did it have a digital clock/temperature read out but the smell of the biscuits was nice.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Morning all

Wind is getting up here but its dry at the minute thankfully. 

Wet and windy here in North Herefordshire.

And very windy at 5am when I remembered that I had left all the parasols out last night!

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

I noticed a couple of chaps bother wearing bright orange T shirts going door to door today. Not masked. But not every door. I was trying to work out where they were calling. Then I realised it was houses with BMW or Mercedes cars in the drive. The two chaps had turned up in a large Mercedes. Perhaps they were second hand car dealers. We did get asked a month ago by some chaps if we wanted to sell our cars. They were asking people whose cars were covered in cobwebs. 

• Like 12
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Everyone at Aditi’s last college had to have a GCSE grade C in English and maths. She was surprised after a few years there to have to take their numeracy and literacy tests as she only had O levels in those subjects.  

Any GCE O level pass (Grades 1-6 as they were then) is equivalent to GCSE grade C. So she should not have been asked to take those tests.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 7