The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

Not as durable, though.

There was a lot of “cheap”copper pipe around in the late 80s, early 90s when copper prices were elevated. Tends to split along the length. 
Tony

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 7

At least with plastic pipework in our case of doing the d word i can take a radiator off the wall and lay it flat on a blanket and paint behind and pop it back on later. 

To be honest most of our leaks have included round taps and the shower which wasn't a cheap one had the mixer valve burst

And on that note i am going to try to sleep 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

It’s been a gloriously sunny day here in the northwest of England, thankfully the promised threatened thunder and lightning never materialised. 

We were late up (very late) this morning so I didn’t really have time to log in before heading out to the workshop. I’d only been in the workshop a few minutes when I had a phone call from the MERG journal editor about the article I’d submitted. The conversation lasted about 15 minutes and he mentioned the fact that it may be possible to control 2 LEDs directly from one of the PtP out modules! He described how it might be possible, so I experimented with his suggested circuit, u fortunately it didn’t work, so I’ll stick with the one I’ve built. Wether or not the article will be published is another matter, it highly likely that it won’t. By the time the conversation had ended, I got totally engrossed in doing the tests he’d suggested that I forgot to look in! 

Anyway, I finished working on the outstanding handrail, I won’t fit them just yet as there is more work to do on the bridge, the next step being the need to make 4 brass bushes for the bridge wheels, as they are a bit sloppy on the supplied axles and all the wheels wobble a bit too much for my liking. 

This evening i spoke to my brother in Canada, as is the norm we didn’t change the world we just chatted about our respective lockdowns etc. It seems that the wearing of face masks incorrectly isn’t just something that goes on here, apparently it’s just as prevalent there too!

Happy anniversary Mr & Mrs Hunt. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Friendly/supportive 9

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

There was a lot of “cheap”copper pipe around in the late 80s, early 90s when copper prices were elevated. Tends to split along the length. 
Tony

Most likely the reason we had a burst pipe as the house was built in 1993!  Up through the family room wall to the upstairs bathroom, which meant new sheet-rock and carpet in the family room and new parquet floor in the hallway and kitchen all covered by AAA insurance with a small co-pay.

Brian.

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Forgot to say:

HA Mr&Mrs H.

One of Monday's tasks in a break from work will be watching the previously noted 47712 on the Staycation Express. 

The main occupation will be a continuation of Friday's new product testing. 

If it continues to go to plan - and I have no reason to expect otherwise based on previous prototype tests - the devices will prove most useful to those users of parallel bits of metal that have small plastic sections in the tailless amphibian area [*]

Have a good week folks.

[*] insulfrogs............... there - I've mentioned model railways

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Greetings one and all

i enjoyed the steak and the James Bond film yesterday.  Shortly before bedtime I looked at the work involved in harnessing the NHS app and recoiled in something appoaching horror.  Perhaps it will be better to tackle it after breakfast so it can spoil a whole day.  It does not strike me as being all that straightforward.  No doubt others who can see these things more clearly will put me straight.

This morning I will attempt the weekly purposeful stride when I go out to buy my lottery tickets.  I do not expect to do much else, for as I type this before 6 am I feel the humidity already.  How I yearn for balmy sea breezes!  Oh, wait: that was last week.  My friend Mary of Weybridge told me something interesting yesterday.  One of the main traffic arteries of Sidmouth crosses the River Sid on the level and there is a ford which has been found to be ideal as a venue for formation folk dancing.  On the last afternoon of Sidmouth Festival there is a ceilidh in the ford.  The existence of the event has been strenuously denied for years but it happens.  Musicians gather on the banks of the river and a caller gives instructions to the dancers for such classics as "The Splashing White Sergeant".  Mary's son, who dances with the World Famous Hammersmith Morris Men, aka the Smiffs, has provided photographs of this year's event.  Some things never change.  Hooray!

Best wishes to all

Chris  

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring awl. Inner Temple Hare. 846 / 529

A fairly good nights sleep of about two hours, it helps the house is about 2 hours cooler than it had been.

Yesterday it was sea mist then slowly rising cloud until around 13:00, today it's scattered clouds with large Blue  patches.

No rabbits again this morning, Ben was a most disappointed Collie.

We do have a new sand quarry though, which  I noticed yesterday the rabbits have been digging under a fallen tree, and there is a big pile of sand... I know elsewhere in the garden I've dug about 2-3ft into the clay and hit a gravel layer, but sand might be useful..

One Cockwomble on the way in, a BMW Mini 30 mph everywhere whatever the speed limit. Due to tractors etc it took a while to get past..

I've just binned about 30 spam emails from the company, promotions of some high up in the USA or outer Mongolia are of no relevance to me., but I am left with one about MIro whatever that is, do I open it and get an ear bending about opening spam?  or not open it and get an ear bending about ignoring official emails?

Right, I've got the sticker ready to put on the equipment for next weeks major service,

Time to go get started on this weeks...

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Our local fox community were creating havoc in the middle of the night. I hope they enjoyed their party..

I am off to do some checks at the MRC this morning. We may need to do a bit of shuffling to get enough space to let people start attending again.

Was sunny but now the grey  clouds are starting to fill the sky..pah!

Grab the day!

Positive thoughts to all ERs.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning to all and of course sundry.  It actually rained a little yesterday with a little thunder and felt less oppressive. A nice meal was cooked by Beth and the plum crumble was eaten.

This morning it's already 26 but there is thunder rumbling in the distance hopefully  we'll have some more rain.   Not a lot on the agenda today so I might even get some shed time later.  

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

9 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Tony

The Boss retired to an expensive house near Aberdeen last year - a development of maybe six houses from farm buildings (he's in the cow shed....).

Anyway, in Nov 2019 he told the developer he could hear running water; there was also a condensation problem.  Developer didn't listen....

In March this year he sent a video of a copper pipework manifold cascading with water; they were sitting baby-sitting the builders whilst they investigated - holes in walls, floorboards up.......

Anyway, it turns out the batch of copper pipework was faulty and prone to pin-holing; his house wasn't the only one affected.  The fancy hardwood staircase was water-stained and trashed, among all the other damage.

Now, and as a result of low (below minimum limit) water pressure to the development, the developer was having to install a pump house to boost pressure to all the houses.

All owners are now holding their breaths for the next installment - will the pipework hold, and if so for how long?  Fortunately they have 10 year warranties.

8 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Try soaking it overnight in a strong solution of biological soap powder John.

As I understand it, bio soap powder has bleach in it (possibly non-bio does too, but less so) - hence it works well on stains.  Liquid soap doesn't apparently, as the bleach settles out and the soap manufacturer would be hit by loads of claims for bleached patches on washing.  Hence why bio powder works well (and reportedly good at killing lurgy germs).

How does Bear know all this?  I'm a Polar Bear, we're supposed to be white..... :)

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I am going to attempt to put the gazebo up sometime today, I really must get on with sorting out the new shed and as the shed is in full sun for most of the day I need some protection. I just hope that the gazebo is still usable as its not been used for some time. But before that I will have to visit the DIY emporium as I seem to have run out of screws of the required size. I've probably got some hidden away somewhere but the only sure way of finding them is to buy some more. Tea has brewed so its be back later.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s a little duller than it has been for the last few days, but it’s still warm, currently 18C and expected predicted to reach 26C later. Up a little later than planned and also today’s task has changed, instead of fitting the underfloor insulation to the hall, I’ve been tasked with removing the bathroom radiator and give it a new coat of paint. Of course it’s not that simple as there are a few rust patches that need to be removed, which will then mean that I’ve also got to take off the old paint. Luckily I have lots of paint stripper and some fresh radiator paint once the prep work is done. 

Time to finish my muggertea!

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, chrisf said:

Greetings one and all

i enjoyed the steak and the James Bond film yesterday.  Shortly before bedtime I looked at the work involved in harnessing the NHS app and recoiled in something appoaching horror.  Perhaps it will be better to tackle it after breakfast so it can spoil a whole day.  It does not strike me as being all that straightforward.  No doubt others who can see these things more clearly will put me straight.

This morning I will attempt the weekly purposeful stride when I go out to buy my lottery tickets.  I do not expect to do much else, for as I type this before 6 am I feel the humidity already.  How I yearn for balmy sea breezes!  Oh, wait: that was last week.  My friend Mary of Weybridge told me something interesting yesterday.  One of the main traffic arteries of Sidmouth crosses the River Sid on the level and there is a ford which has been found to be ideal as a venue for formation folk dancing.  On the last afternoon of Sidmouth Festival there is a ceilidh in the ford.  The existence of the event has been strenuously denied for years but it happens.  Musicians gather on the banks of the river and a caller gives instructions to the dancers for such classics as "The Splashing White Sergeant".  Mary's son, who dances with the World Famous Hammersmith Morris Men, aka the Smiffs, has provided photographs of this year's event.  Some things never change.  Hooray!

Best wishes to all

Chris  

I too watched the Bond film, boy Roger Moore was a proper wooden actor by todays standards, preferred him as the Saint.

The Sid is a funny old river, I was told it is the only one in England that flows to the sea, but doesn't make contact as it flows through the shingle at the back of the "Ham"(is the Horse and Groom still there, it was my local when I lived there).

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, polybear said:

As I understand it, bio soap powder has bleach in it (possibly non-bio does too, but less so) - hence it works well on stains.  Liquid soap doesn't apparently, as the bleach settles out and the soap manufacturer would be hit by loads of claims for bleached patches on washing.  Hence why bio powder works well (and reportedly good at killing lurgy germs).

How does Bear know all this?  I'm a Polar Bear, we're supposed to be white..... :)

When I was at school bio powders advertised as using enzymes appeared. Our biology teacher wrote to the manufacturer enquiring about what enzymes could be active in such alkaline products. They threatened legal action if he repeated his allegations. All he did was ask a question!
Aditi read a crime novel of a gruesome nature where liquid bio detergents occurred as a method of disposing of corpses. Once she retired she stopped reading such books. None of her bosses had disappeared though I believe. 

As for cleaning the device John has caramelised I looked on a skottel  manufacturers website as I had no idea what it was. The cleaning instructions reminded me of the heat treatment methods of the engineering O level. 
Tony

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

The Sid is a funny old river, I was told it is the only one in England that flows to the sea, but doesn't make contact as it flows through the shingle at the back of the "Ham"

The Cober which runs through Helston, also flows through the shingle of Loe Bar. Helston was a port until the thirteenth century when storms threw up the Bar and cut Helston off from the sea. After this time the port of Gweek on the Helford River became the import/export point for Helston. Portleven as a port was not constructed until the early nineteenth century.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium

The Yare and Bure Rivers meet just at Great Yarmouth  but over half the water goes missing..

Why?

Because it flows under Great Yarmouth, through the gravel spit on which it is built..

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 8