The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Afternoon. On our long walk of the week.

I think it's the first time that we have walked over the M25.

I love this humourous thread on FB

https://newsthump.com/2020/07/24/eight-dead-as-anti-facemask-campaigners-suffocate-during-weekly-shop-at-tesco/

unfortunately the anti vaxers etc will now be quoting that as "evidence"

• Agree 3
  • Funny 12

1 minute ago, TheQ said:

unfortunately the anti vaxers etc will now be quoting that as "evidence"

Think I'll take a stance.

If I meet a conspiracy theorist, flat earther or anti-vaxxer from now on I'll ask to take their photo.

If they ask why, so that I can say "I want to record what a complete idiot looks like".

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 6
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

I work with one - you can't argue with him, there's only his point to consider.  I'm told this is a psychotic condition, by someone who understands and practices in these matters, and an extension of the human will to survive and deny death.  Or something like that anyway!  Way over my head.

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Barry O said:

something similar happens at Leeds Railway Station.. it goes

A considerably more expensive an time-consuming mistake...

(Well, possibly not more time-consuming. How long does it take to get from Waterloo to Alton? Plus factor in the longer journey from Romford to Waterloo than Kings Cross.)

• Like 12

8 hours ago, polybear said:

Yes, it does sound like a string trimmer;  the plastic cutter isn't the problem - it's the part that the cutter clips onto that seems to fail.  And judging by the Amazon reviews and the number of spares sold on Ebay it does appear to be all too common.  Buy cheap, get cr@p.  One of these days she might just learn to ask me "what do you think of this?" before she clicks "Buy".....

Fabricating one out of aluminium and then bolting it to the existing part would work - though keeping it all in balance could be a problem, otherwise the bearings would protest - as would the user with the vibrations.  If it were mine then I'd be inclined to go this route, but as someone else would be using it the thought of bits of ally flying off puts me off a little.....

I got an O-Level Grade C (i.e. ok) in Chemistry at 16; a large lump of the exam was multiple choice questions, some of which I knew the answers to.  The rest of the answers were based on "I haven't had an Answer B lately - I'll try one of those".  Job done.

Incidentally, I asked a fairly recently retired school chemistry teacher how kids are leaving school with ten 0-Levels (in my day 5 was hard work at age 16).  Seems they now teach the kids to pass the exam, and not teach the subject.  There's a flaw in that plan......

"Two plus three equals?"  "Five!"

"Three plus two equals?"  "Er, dunno...."

Whatever happened to puncture repair outfits..... :lol:

Did the orthodontist (aka dentist) mention just how you are to "stay healthy" when presumably eating sounds like it could be tricky?

One removes the bands before eating.:bo_mini:

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

And tying into Barton Broads  Coombe Barton 's statement,  the mystery tour of the now arrived bottle of wood bleach. 

Leigh on sea..  Distance from home 120 miles

Chelmsford, distance from home 100 miles 

Norwich,  distance from home  25 miles 

Attleborough distance from home 40 miles 

Norwich distance from home 25 miles 

Norwich distance from home 25 miles 

Stalham distance from home  5 miles 

Stalham distance from home 5 miles 

Acle distance from home 15 miles 

Delivered.. 

I note what used to be called post office tracking... Is now called post office track and trace.. Now where did they get that from? 

In that vein,  mask wearing at TES and Co about 80% including some staff who hadn't been wearing them before. 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

33 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

I have been mainly busy this week but did find time to celebrate another circle of the sun on Wednesday, without having to work that day!.

Happy belated birthday :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 17
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, polybear said:

Yes, it does sound like a string trimmer;  the plastic cutter isn't the problem - it's the part that the cutter clips onto that seems to fail.  And judging by the Amazon reviews and the number of spares sold on Ebay it does appear to be all too common.  Buy cheap, get cr@p. 

Not necessarily. I bought an electric strimmer - a ‘good’ brand and not cheap. I’ve just replaced it, with the motor and drive still in great shape. However - the front handle broke early on, there was no replacement available, so from then on I had to hold on to the shaft. Then the trigger broke, again no replacement. I found one on e-bay that looked like it, and with a bit of surgery it fitted. A couple of years later I had to replace the trigger again. Finally, the spool holding the filament started to break up. Patching it kept it going for another year or so before complete disintegration. As I said, the motor and drive were great, it was all the little things that failed.

I got an O-Level Grade C (i.e. ok) in Chemistry at 16; a large lump of the exam was multiple choice questions, some of which I knew the answers to.  The rest of the answers were based on "I haven't had an Answer B lately - I'll try one of those".  Job done.

I once heard a lecturer, making up a multiple choice exam, say “It’s _ _ _ hard thinking up three wrong answers!”. (There is a word missing - “plausible”.)

Seems they now teach the kids to pass the exam, and not teach the subject. 

Playing the game by the rules! Teachers/schools are judged by exam successes of their pupils. Pupils get to progress based on exam results. Why would they do otherwise? (Rhetorical question.)

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

46 minutes ago, pH said:

I once heard a lecturer, making up a multiple choice exam, say “It’s _ _ _ hard thinking up three wrong answers!”. (There is a word missing - “plausible”.)

You include some obviously wrong answesr in a multiple choice quizzes so that your poorer students have a little bit of a boost by being able to spot them - they think they've got somewhere and it encourages them to search more.

However it's amazing how many responses say that those obviously wrong answers are right.

If this happened I delve deeper and find that someone has transmitted that "Question 1 the answer is D."

This, however, does not take into account that I've randomised both the order of the questions and the order of the answers. Some questions come from a question bank, which has, say, four or five similar questions of which one or two are randomly selected for each student.

RTFQ ***applies.

*** Read The Flamin' Question, or something like that.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, The Lurker said:

Greetings all from Sidcup.

I have been mainly busy this week but did find time to celebrate another circle of the sun on Wednesday, without having to work that day!.

I have not had any chance to catch up the many pages since i last posted but I for one would rather read about "sick note" than "love sick".

There is room for lots of different topics in ERs, there has always been a whimsical side to many of the posts that is the most enjoyable part of the thread, so don't leave us Tony!

and wit that it's tea time!

Happy belated Birthday Lurker:good:

• Like 2
  • Agree 13
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. There's still some light so it must be afternoon. Arthur Itis has been playing a tune for most of the day making it difficult to concentrate so I took a bit of eyelid inspection. As a result nothing got done in the garden today, using the weedkiller was a bit doubtful anyway as its been a bit breezy.

6 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Think I'll take a stance.

If I meet a conspiracy theorist, flat earther or anti-vaxxer from now on I'll ask to take their photo.

If they ask why, so that I can say "I want to record what a complete idiot looks like".

I would add a few others to that list but I'd be verging on the political/religious.

Happy birthday Lurker for last Wednesday.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1