The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

I seem to recall an apprentice mate of mine had a Champ, sure he said it had a Rolls Royce engine under the bonnet, not that I bothered to look, I was more into motor bikes in those days.

According to Wikipedia that is correct. Most  built under licence by Austin though. 

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I could guess three but had to look up the fourth (Romansh) of which I had never heard. Ignorant of that I would have punned "Swiss Cantonese". 

Right so without googling or going to wiki whatsit how many official languages are there in Belgium?

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

According to Wikipedia that is correct. Most  built under licence by Austin though. 

We had one at school as well and that had an RR engine - which the MT section of the CCF regularly took to pieces and then reassembled.  But the engine was never run and the Champ only moved if it was pushed, which was very rarely.  Back in the late '60s/'70s there was firm down in Surrey which regularly offered ex-Army Champs in 'Exchange & Mart' -  'From £195'

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

I seem to recall an apprentice mate of mine had a Champ, sure he said it had a Rolls Royce engine under the bonnet, not that I bothered to look, I was more into motor bikes in those days.

A friend/colleague had one in 1971. The front bumper was a red painted RSJ. We used to go to work in it but it had no top and that winter was very cold, so he sold it and bought a Rover 90.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

I used to drive my old Aston Martin round your neck of the woods when visiting family in Tunstead.

The Tunstead Road is almost a major road to us, I bet you went slow over the level crossing though...

• Like 7
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

I was convinced that all Ferrari cars came with a recovery truck. Neighbour’s Lamborghini seems reliable though. I don’t know how well it would cope with Norfolk roads but the industrial estate where he works is quite “interesting”. 
Tony

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Right so without googling or going to wiki whatsit how many official languages are there in Belgium?

I thought four perhaps, French, Dutch(Flemish), German and Luxembourgerish (no idea how to spell it). I have now checked with Wikiwotsit and it all seems quite political. 
Tony

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

By the time you get you get to the Defender the later ones don't have the hole for a mechanical PTO on  the Chassis, But do still have the place on the transfer box for PTO attachment. so if you want to use the PTO you have to cut a hole in the chassis or use a Hydraulic pump or generator to use it..

K post affix letter is 1971  which is the year the series 3 was Introduced, it continued until 1985, early series 3 often included parts from the 2A.

The first 110, was produced 1983 a pre fix letter of A and often included parts from the Series 3.

The first 90 was produced 1984 a pre fix letter of B

The first Defender was 1989 which is a pre fix letter of G,

The Champ Had a RR B40 Engine, (2800 ish CC) though the modified later ones were built by Austin.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Again, some (a lot) of skipping, and apologies for that.  Generic greetings are, of course, on offer to all fellow ERs.  It does seem that this laptop is getting a lot of non RMWeb use at present. 

Had to have a fairly long chat with HMRC this morning, and of course, the question that I wanted to be answered was not one that they could deal with immediately, and "a case" has been raised and will need some weeks to be resolved, apparently.

Dump run also completed, and another booked for next week to follow the fodder run.  Each week, I am taking one different type of waste - this week it was stuff which can't be recycled, next week it's wood.

Tomorrow, a walk with Lily, then a trip to do battle with the Barclays IT "non system" again.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Nobody seems to have mentioned the Austin Champ's desire to roll over when cornering at high speed on anything less than a perfectly smooth and level road.

Those 1 ton landies used to turn over nearly as easily as the early Suzuki's did too.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Those 1 ton landies used to turn over nearly as easily as the early Suzuki's did too.

for those who don't know.. I believe he's meaning one of these..

OIPRBKC6U5X.jpg

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

Good morning owl from the Piedmont. Well, I just got back from doing my civic duty, voting in the primary. Next one will be in November; I can't wait! :yahoo_mini:

Edited by J. S. Bach
To correct a punctuation error.
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

I have returned. I found the box for the item the enquiry was about. Unfortunately the item (CMX track cleaner wasn’t there) but the broken truck (bogie ) was and I said I was fairly sure I had replaced it with the cheapest similar looking Kadee one from Modeljunction. A lot of the running gear on US models seems to be interchangeable between brands. The track cleaner isn’t exactly a prototype model. 
My clippers have arrived. I shall read the instructions and hopefully look for a YouTube video. Aditi’s main concern seems to not that I will make a mess of the haircut but deposit hair on the floor. 
Tony

• Like 18

Good afternoon all,

Dry and calm here today but not much sun.  Some pottering around the garden has been done, and I have noticed mole holes going into part of my vegetable patch!  I used to have moles in the garden about 30 years ago, and I don’t want them back!   They tend to undermine the roots of all the plants thus killing them off.  

Last week I got a letter from Green Flag telling me that my breakdown cover had been renewed and was now valid from 29 May 2019 to 28 May 2020.  I phoned them up pointing out the error.  They told me that they had had a computer problem and would send a new updated letter.  The new letter arrived today and has exactly the same mistake!  What a bunch of numpties!  Another phone call has been made!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

...snip... A lot of the running gear on US models seems to be interchangeable between brands. ...snip...
Tony

Not on three-rail O scale! Unfortunately that makes it even harder to convert them to two-rail. A side note, some of the newer releases from MTH and Lionel have pads with pre-drilled holes for mounting KD couplers.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Good afternoon.  Various tasks have been completed. The hall is cleared, wine stocks have been replenished and some pueces of skirting board have been fitted in the bedroom. Just polyfilling to do in the morning. Now is time to go and start marking out for assembling the new pool.  

Interexting that HH mentions the Centurion's manual gearbox. My mate who drove them told me tbat it was always awkwRd to get i to, IIRC, 2nd gear but if you justvtouched one of the track brakes it went in easily, though the tank lurched slightly to the left.  One day hecwas watching a TV report of an Israeli military parade. He told the others, in a few seconds all the tanks will make a little jink to the left. Sure enough the whole line did.

Jamie

Istr it was nicknamed a stick change. You didn't need to use the clutch either!

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2