The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The usual bin wagons dawn chorus this morning accompanied by the lesser spotted glass and bottle wagon. A bit of green can be seen on what can loosely be described as a lawn after yesterdays smattering of rain unfortunately not all of it is grass so out with the glyphosphate this afternoon. I agree entirely with ChrisF with regard to the governments quarantine regulations. I was watching a cabinet minister being given a grilling on the subject on this mornings breakfast show. They keep wheeling out different ministers* every day and every day they get a pasting, today's unfortunate was the Northern Ireland minister. Perhaps they should appoint a minister for Covid-19? after all back in 1976 when they appointed a minister for drought the heavens opened. *There's a couple of cabinet ministers who have not appeared and are unlikely to do so. I leave it to you to speculate who they are and why they will never appear.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Good evening everyone 

Thankfully the weather held off and I was able to get the arbour finished, with the exception for the roofing tiles. But, if there is no more rain between now and tomorrow, I should get it done tomorrow after dinner. Below are a couple of photos of the arbour in its current state. 

D43CF235-9794-4D2D-8D90-74A315A73213.jpeg.20bfb13bdbc71e45679973640014f0d5.jpeg

Are you going to call her Ann?

• Funny 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 02/06/2020 at 23:10, PhilJ W said:

image.png.ae55e7ed7ef2856977a192b8b1f03ebf.png

12 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Hmm, still not got to The Shed.  Only just finished the Sainsbury's order, it's quite a big one this week.  It took longer than usual because somebody kept looking over my shoulder and moaning about my "embellishments!"

Note number 4 above.

• Funny 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Are you going to call her Ann?

You could always embellish it with a loco in the Ann Arbour Railroad livery. G scale perhaps.

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I am going to assume that you want to follow Debs arrows to see the fall of shot, but how do you intend to do this?

Is it from a static location, or would you be following as in an 'advance to contact'?

In these days of high tech have wireless camera drones been used for close images of targets rather then using large heavy optical devices? 

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Nearly forgot, Chris was bemoaning the absence of Tesco's bread pudding. Unfortunately the supply is irregular as they only make it when the ingredients are available. Before lockdown I visited Tesco's almost daily and was able to grab some when it was there and before it all disappeared. I managed to get some just after lockdown started but none since. Today or tomorrow I will be going again so I'll ask if its still being made.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

31 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Nearly forgot, Chris was bemoaning the absence of Tesco's bread pudding. Unfortunately the supply is irregular as they only make it when the ingredients are available. Before lockdown I visited Tesco's almost daily and was able to grab some when it was there and before it all disappeared. I managed to get some just after lockdown started but none since. Today or tomorrow I will be going again so I'll ask if its still being made.

Since the lockdown started I have been able to get my groceries from the big cash-and-carry as I have “trade“ access (a long story for some other time). However, this also means that I have not been purchasing cakes and the like for Mrs iD’s morning z’nuni as I no longer visit any bakeries or supermarkets. This in turn means I have been doing a lot of baking: bread, biscuits and cakes. Whilst it is true that some items one finds in a good patisserie are rather complicated (the famous Paris-Brest comes to mind), many cakes and such are very simple to make. In fact, I am writing this while I am waiting for the boiled raisins and sultanas (drained and then mixed with butter) to cool so I can mix them with beaten eggs and sugar and fold in the flour before chucking everything into a baking tin and thus into the oven for 90 minutes. Amongst my repertoire is a rhubarb crumble cake, a Victorian boiled-fruit cake, a French apple cake and chocolate bourbon biscuits.

The reason I mention this is not to showcase my (very minimal) baking skills, but to point out that you could probably make as good as, or an even better bread pudding than Tesco. You also have the added advantage of knowing exactly what goes in to your bread pudding (this link https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/18/butterless-puff-pastry-food-hacks-fatal-patisserie-valerie takes you to an article which highlights how in the name of cost savings very unsuitable substitutes are used by many places that prepare and sell food). Another advantage is that you can change the proportions of the ingredients once you’ve tried the recipe “as is” a few times: like more sultanas in your bread pudding? Just chuck them in; like an eggier bread pudding? Add an additional egg and so on

One final point, Phil, if you don’t do any of the cooking and SWMBO considers you a waste of space in the kitchen, making and serving a superb home-made bread pudding will definitely garner you brownie points.
24/7 access to a superb bread pudding and admiring looks from SWMBO, what’s not to like!

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Drone operation is quite restrictive when you are flying in close proximity to people other than the operator.

Personally, I'd not like to fly a drone anywhere near a  target on a range, as although your shooter may have finished, other fire may still be inbound.

In fact, on a military range, 9 out of 10 shooters would  'accidentally' shoot at the drone.

Which brings me onto the next point that the use of such a drone may prove distracting to other shooters.

Cheap hand held spotting scope:       £20-£50.

DJI Mavic Air 2:                         £769

Perhaps a camera on a Tamiya RC tank chassis ? The person flying a drone about my brother’s house, including up to the patio doors would have suffered a financial loss then if his cat had succeeded in taking down the drone. 

• Like 10
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, TheQ said:

I thought he was going to have a man wearing a bearskin hat standing on guard in the shelter by the door...

:O

5 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I don't know what I've done but I got this picture as a side bar this morning.  I will not comment. further.

mature.png.1cfad4585e5fa83300f4e219759e98df.png

Jamie

She's definitely in dire need of a Teddy.  I know just the Bear.....

4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

The question that comes to mind (from a purely professional perspective) is “all natural or enhanced?

What does the collective wisdom of ER conclude? 

I'll let you know.....

• Like 4
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon, Jobs finished for the day and the shed beckons, other half wanted something out of the loft this morning which was okay until she came up the ladder and starting asking what's in that box and that one etc etc. What should have been a 15 min job took over an hour! Though I did discover a railway book Signalling Days Final Reminiscences of a GWR Railwayman By Harold Gascon so all was not lost!

As for these adverts nothing like Jamies ( I do wonder what web sites he visits outside of RMWeb !) as I have been looking at watches hence the ad below appeared.

Enjoy your day folks

C08040FE-27B3-4258-B009-466E1F5C4584_4_5005_c.jpeg

Edited by Shedman5
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 9

BIN day.

For the past several weeks the BIN-emptying brigade have been noticeable for their rather later than usual appearance. No idea why, but given there are several (5-6 at last count) services available in the city and apparently our neighbors can't agree on which one to use so ALL of them parade past here for their particular clientele, it's strange that they should ALL be running late?? Maybe they finally decided that everyone would appreciate not hearing that racket so early in the day!:jester:

Little else to report from here, save the thankful information that all four of the police involved in the Memorial Day tragedy have finally been charged/arrested.

16 first thing, somewhat cooler that the last few days expected, with a high of only 29 forecast. Partly sunny with chance of a thunderstorm later.

Carpe diem...

Edit: Far as the ads go, this is at the top of my page :(

Ad-1.jpg.66b86ef1233d32ceec4dbeb9a90b8f90.jpg

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 3
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Perhaps a camera on a Tamiya RC tank chassis ? The person flying a drone about my brother’s house, including up to the patio doors would have suffered a financial loss then if his cat had succeeded in taking down the drone. 

Much as I like the idea of an RC tank chassis and a camera, it's only really going to work if the target is at ground level, otherwise you'll need a camera that is capable of panning to look up.

As a matter of interest have you seen the prices of Tamiya R/C tanks?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamiya-56043-56043-1-Sheridan-Option/dp/B07PDHZCJP/ref=pd_sbs_21_6/262-8799368-8554732?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07PDHZCJP&pd_rd_r=657b6648-2b8f-47f8-b56b-bb24e57a4525&pd_rd_w=NuGHW&pd_rd_wg=utwcP&pf_rd_p=2773aa8e-42c5-4dbe-bda8-5cdf226aa078&pf_rd_r=VG6081YDW1H0M1ZD00VX&psc=1&refRID=VG6081YDW1H0M1ZD00VX

A  scope would appear to be the cheapest ans simplest option as the operator requires very little training compared with rcpiloting and driving skills!

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

As a matter of interest have you seen the prices of Tamiya R/C tanks

I probably do know the price of such vehicles. I was only suggesting (and not utterly seriously I suppose) possible alternatives to Neil having to cart optics about. 
Back some time last century I started showing some of the things that could be done with a BBC micro and I made up a remote control (not radio) tank kit that could be either controlled with a joystick (homemade) or from sensors. The head of science said I had to leave the top of the tank off to avoid upsetting people. Students all wanted to know where the top was. 

• Like 17
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I probably do know the price of such vehicles. I was only suggesting (and not utterly seriously I suppose) possible alternatives to Neil having to cart optics about. 

Neil has a hover cart to get around:  You know like the Mekon had!:mocking_mini:

• Funny 17