The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good luck with that, Mike.

I regret I'm all charitied out this month.

I've decided to fritter away my fortune on food and fuel.

Tesco have kindly given me a voucher for 10p a litre off petrol.

Unfortunately, the nearest Tesco petrol is a 36 mile round trip.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it, and I'm sure I'll raise the funds in the 7 months before the race!

So, you need to purchase roughly 58 litres of petrol to make it worth your while (working on my car's mpg of 37.5). Looks like you'd need a big petrol tank to make that trip profitable!

• RMweb Premium

No.

I got it as part of a deal with their electronics department.

We reached an agreement.

They replaced a kaput sat receiver with one that worked, they paid the difference of £40, gave me the voucher for petrol plus £10 shopping voucher and points on my Tesco card if I can find it and I didn't pull their arms and legs off.

Ahh , different promotion to those round here , sounds like you did a good bargaining job . :good_mini:

• RMweb Gold

No.

I got it as part of a deal with their electronics department.

We reached an agreement.

They replaced a kaput sat receiver with one that worked, they paid the difference of £40, gave me the voucher for petrol plus £10 shopping voucher and points on my Tesco card if I can find it and I didn't pull their arms and legs off.

A tip with the Tesco fuel vouchers is that you can use more than one at a time. With the 5p ones you were allowed to use up to 3 per purchase although they might not allow it with the new 10p ones. Our nearest Tesco fuel site is about 8 miles each way so I have to be pretty low on fuel to make it worthwhile going there although normally I combine it with a trip for other reasons at which point it starts to make economic sense - and I've currently got 3 vouchers for 10p off per litre ;)

Morning all,

Had a pretty rough nights sleep for some reason, though it does seem pretty humid at the moment too. Good luck with your fund raising Mike, I'm sure that you'll reach your target.

Not much else to report here though, have a good un all.

Trev.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Plans today include getting measured for a suit then entertaining grandson for rest of day. May get some modelling done ths evening. He's not quite old enough yet to combine the last two.

Morning all. Something funny's happening with the notifications from RMweb, they seem to be coming through in hourly batches or not at all.

Have to sub for my boss at a meeting across town today and am hoping that my new specs will be ready so I can call in and collect them on the way back.

Morning All,

It is rather a damp morning here - the temperature has risen above freezing for the first time in days and the snow has turned to rain.

Plans for the day include getting a few things sorted out in the office. I have a day which is remarkably free of meetings.

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It sounds as if some of you are having busy days.

Mike, hope you find the opticians. I went yesterday for a checkup/refitting of my fortnight old varifocals. I described a minor problem (reading with right eye) and the nice lady twisted the frame a bit and all was perfect.

I have made use of some of the Tesco fuel vouchers as my car runs nicely on their diesel fuel (and the fuel tank is about 60 litres).

I've put the rubbish bag and food recycling container out. Apart from that I'll take the dog for a walk and cook dinner tonight. I seem to have a cold and don't feel much like doing much else.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

A damp morning in Surrey but had brightened up a little by the time I got into London Bridge.

Brighton mainline up creek again due to over running engineering work. Some of the FCC services were being reported as an hour late.

Luckily the train I went for this morning came from the Arun Valley so was only the usual 3 - 4 minutes late. Good job it is school hald term holidays as that meant fewer people cramming on the the 4 coach (instead of 12 coach ) Victoria train along with all the people that had been waiting for two FCC trains that hadnt turned up!!

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, and a spot of sunshine here in the Thames Valley today - when the high cloud moves aside. Hope all is well on the foot front Don - perhaps you should see that nice helpful nurse again?

And it will be another day of PhD thesis reading for me although I have got through the two heaviest bits for my daughter so - according to her - the rest is a doddle. And it does look quite amusing on 'Railfreight' headed printer paper (well it was better than chucking it in the skip back in 1994 and I always knew it would come in handy one day).

Don't underestimate a 5 year old's abilities, BoD.

I gave Tim his first battery powered train set just after his 5th birthday, then within months upgraded that to a mains powered Smokey Joe and used rtr OO stock. Within 3 months of that he was able to run two trains on a fairly complex out, around and back in, work in progress permanent layout, changing sections and points appropriately. Only when his friends came to play did they race trains against each other. Other than that he ran trains fairly responsibly. He helped with the layout scenery/buildings(crudely)construction etc. etc but this established that it was HIS layout and developed his sense of ownership and responsibility. When he was 14 he embarked on building an N gauge layout insisting that he wanted to do it himself.

Any way, enjoy your time with your Grandson

Edited by DonBradley

Guest Max Stafford

"And it does look quite amusing on 'Railfreight' headed printer paper (well it was better than chucking it in the skip back in 1994 and I always knew it would come in handy one day)."

A man after my own heart, Mike! :)

Dave.

Edited by Max Stafford

• RMweb Gold

Matthew had his first electric "train set" when he was three. He had Lego and Brio trains before that. I made him a classic double track 6x4 (first and second radius) oval. It was based on a Hornby set called something like GWR mixed traffic. He had Thomas and Percy but soon wanted "proper trains" as well. I've still got the board in the garage, I can't throw it away!

• RMweb Gold

And it will be another day of PhD thesis reading for me although I have got through the two heaviest bits for my daughter so - according to her - the rest is a doddle.

I never had to read Aditi's but although she was awarded the doctorate, she has to make minor corrections prior to the final print for the library. She uses a program called Endnote to produce a bibliography and the examiners wanted some minor changes in the way the citations and bibliography were formatted. I managed to deduce that is was caused when different people with the same surname were cited in the text. There seemed to be a lot of educational philosophers called Smith. I managed to find the option that dealt with the "Smith" problem. The next problem is beyond my ability but the people who supply the Endnote software are working on it. If they can't cope I have devised a method of producing a correct copy for final printing though.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

On Sunday as a break from attempting to sort out word-processors I set my test track up on the dining room table and started playing with the new Lenz LAN/USB interface. Aditi asked what I was doing and I explained I was trying to control my train wirelessly. Aditi was rather amused that this seemed to require the addition of 10 metres of bright red cable running from hall to dining room. I have now removed that cable!

• Like 1

Meeting done (amazingly half an hour ahead of schedule!) and heading back to normal workplace. No word on readiness of glasses sadly so no leaping off the bus early to go collect them en route.

Amazingly there was a little heat in the sunshine as I was waiting for the bus just now! Perhaps spring is on its way?

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all...

I wasn't in a mood to be posting in the morning, but appear to be feeling better by now. I also wrote the last exam for this term, which was a bit extensive in scope, as me and several course mates thought afterwards, but doable on the content level. It would seem that one question was unclear in such a way that me and said course mates had no idea which study it was about, but as this was the only question where I had no idea at all what I could sensibly write, that shouldn't be much of a problem.

I'll be getting my hair cut in about an hour and a half, too, which has been long overdue, TBH.