The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

42 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Just had a news flash, Kim Jong-un has died.

Who is reporting this? I don't see CNN or BBC carrying a story like this. The Murdoch machine reports "However, Japanese media now claims that Kim is in a vegetative state following a stent procedure" and that "Reuters reported Friday that China had dispatched a team that included medical experts to North Korea following conflicting reports regarding Kim’s health."

It is worth noting that the US removed B1-B and B2 bombers from Guam yesterday. They were deemed as a "target".

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 10

1 hour ago, BoD said:

In the Uk we have about 1% of the world’s population.

Going by today’s numbers we have a tenth of the deaths accredited to Coronavirus.

How does that work?

The United States has about 4% of Global population 328M / 7.8B and 25% of total reported fatalities.

A week ago I posted data indicating that fatalities per capita are significantly higher in the UK than in the US.

How does that work globally?

1. Western democracies are more transparent about reporting.
  2. China's (1.4B population) reported data may well be under-counted
  3. Africa (1.2B population) has not seen the potential impact of COVID-19 yet
  4. India (1.35B population) aggressively went into lock-down and has 779 reported fatalities - a small fraction of the US or UK.

Australia has 0.3% of the global population and essentially zero fatalities (80).  The UK has about 3 times the number of people than Australia, but almost 260 times the fatalities.

Geography, global travel patterns, population density, wealth inequality, and governmental responses to the pandemic are all factors.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Who is reporting this? I don't see CNN or BBC carrying a story like this. The Murdoch machine reports "However, Japanese media now claims that Kim is in a vegetative state following a stent procedure" and that "Reuters reported Friday that China had dispatched a team that included medical experts to North Korea following conflicting reports regarding Kim’s health."

It is worth noting that the US removed B1-B and B2 bombers from Guam yesterday. They were deemed as a "target".

I don't know if you can see the  BBC.Co.UK website.

It was reported 4 days ago that there was a possibility that he wasn't well following heart surgery.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-52364055

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

5 minutes ago, newbryford said:

It was reported 4 days ago that there was a possibility that he wasn't well following heart surgery.

Thanks Mick, this is of course well reported here in the US.

I was responding to Phil's comment: "Kim Jong-un has died."

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Sorting through some papers just now I came across last years car insurance renewal. A couple of years ago I had made enquiries about adding my mate onto the insurance just in case we were out and I for some reason became unable to drive. When I enquired the extra cost was such that I dropped the idea. When I read the renewal notice I saw that they'd added his name. I will have to check on that on Monday.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Time lapse?

I think that was the term I was trying to recall. I think it might be quite some time before my nephews hair returns to its normal length. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

The burning question from today's furtling session is how does one ensure the 0.5 bit is dead-straight in the pin-vice?  I have a sizeable number of Dart Castings pieces which require some pre-marked holes to be fully bored out.  Can I get the thing straight?  Can I heck.  

Are you using the most appropriate collet?

• Like 8
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

About an hour ago there was a strange noise outside, like a jet engine but static. All was revealed by a post on Farcebook. There was/is a fire at a refinery in Tilbury and it was a pressure valve 'blowing off'.

• Informative/Useful 17

I know it’s not the right thread but I’m with friends here so I’m going to ask a silly question. How/where do you get a ticket/make a donation for tomorrow’s virtual show? Do you just go to the charities own website and make a donation there?

Goodnight,

Robert

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1