The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

I think I ate too much for dinner, so woke up just after 4 am and took a while to fall asleep again. Thankfully, weekend's up and I'll be able to sleep in! Assuming that I can tell myself to stay in bed, which always is the core problem. I'm kind of programmed to be getting up once I'm awake.

Final course session for this term today, and I'll need to tidy up some once I'm back home. I don't think there has been any additional snow, though.

Hope you're well - be back later...

Morning all. Still none of the white stuff in Edinburgh. Stop hogging it you southerners! ;)

Talking about unloading lorries on their sides, an Eddie Stobart driver tried to do much the same yesterday on the A66. The policeman in this clip was at school with me, I think 2 years below me but his brother was in my year and I know all the family quite well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16968575

Edited by sixoh8sixoh

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

No more new snow here but there is still plenty on the ground from last weekend. The weather front must have done a handbrake turn when it got to the A13 and headed off elsewhere. We didn't get any of that freezing rain.

Today's list is a shopping list. I can choose the supermarket. I've just remembered that I also need to buy dog food so as one supermarket is near the pet store that makes the decision easier.

Tony

The Sun shines on the righteous, Tony, look at Don!

I keep saying we have had a mild Winter on the East Coast and we have, so far. Most years we have a two week spell where the temperature does not get above freezing. When you get that the thought of 45f is almost tropical..

Some snow expected tonight and tomorrow but only about 4 inches, we'll take it.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all - a couple of inches or so of snow in this bit of the Thames Valley last night but now heading towards a sunny day and there a bit of melting going on so it's back to snow & slush for today although we are promised a touch of decent cold for tonight, down to -8C; rain on Monday according to the Met Office.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all!

I know it's been a while, but I've been working very hard on my uni course this last couple of weeks in order to meet a deadline for hand in of the mousetrap project. I think (and hope!) it will be one of my better projects given the amount of time I spent on it. Time will tell though. I do have a couple of frustrations with uni at the moment, but I wont bore you with the details!

I've decided to take the day off and do some modelling today - I think I've earnt it. My bottle is also very nearly complete, just a bit of sanding to do on the join lines so I don't have to go in for my usual 3 hour workshop session this afternoon - result!

I've missed a lot of drivel on ERs so I may spend a little while catching up on what you've all been up to. I've also got a couple PMs to answer and then I'll finish tidying up my room (aka moving stuff from one part of my bedroom to another!).

• RMweb Gold

I'll finish tidying up my room (aka moving stuff from one part of my bedroom to another!).

I'm sure that describes my rather pathetic attempts at tidying the garage, moving stuff around. I can't even get into the workshop corner of the garage, fortunately it has its own door so I'll attack the problem from that direction.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

But may be this will bring a smile to some, yesterday seemed to be a day for inventive days for truck unloading, (40 foot artic laid on its side playing completely dead, but no pic of that.) Most of the trucks here seemed to have escaped European/UK scrappers! Oldest I have seen is a 1940's "diamondT"

Your traffic photos look very similar to the ones my brother took in the late 1970s.

Guest Max Stafford

Someone must have been due it last night! For the first time since I've been in Carlisle I saw two locomotives passing through the station last night with an independent plough coupled to each end of the consist. Looked pretty good and businesslike to be honest!

After the last couple of days, I take my words back about freezing rain, Pete. Not so rare after all!

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Day off today, and took yesterday off as well as I did not want to risk falling and doing any damage to my hip - I've now got a date for the final op, and I don't want to jeopardise anything - in the end, there was not as much ice as the weather people said, and the Met Office's promised heavy snowfall actually fell as standard non freezing rain.

Anyway

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

So, that's been the final day of lectures for this term - the only thing still to be done would be the exam next Wednesday. I guess the weekend will thus see me keeping the materials I've been revising fresh in my mind.

Our lecturer today also told us that he was currently preparing for his tenure review and asked us whether some of our number would be willing to assist him with a bit of his research, specifically related to a certain teaching method - which means we would be running a mock lesson based on that method for him to observe and describe in his thesis. I think I'll be volunteering for that as I think he definitely deserves a permanent posting as a professor.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Still freezing over there? No let up in sight?

It's been getting slightly warmer since about the middle of the week. The downside to that is that the forecast predicts the weather to turn dreich again by Monday or Tuesday.

• RMweb Premium

I prefer Sunny and Very Cold to dreich.......

As do I. It is just as incredible just how much of a difference snow can make as well. Seeing snowy landscapes always lifts my spirits, even if the sky's grey.

• RMweb Gold

... It is just as incredible just how much of a difference snow can make as well. Seeing snowy landscapes always lifts my spirits, even if the sky's grey.

Robbie was very lively in the park today, leaping around in the snow!