The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Chris116 said:

Union Chapel is one of my favourite venues. I have seen Lainey Wilson, Josh Turner, Sarah Darling and had tickets for 7th May to see Ward Thomas but that has now been put back until later in the year. 

I'd love to see Josh  Turner live - provided we're talking about the same one, who operates on YouTube as Josh Turner Guitar - the nearest to me that he has appeared is Leeds and Carlisle, the former with Carson McKee, Reina Del Cid and Toni Lundgren, and the latter with a choir when he was playing Paul Simon.  If you're talking about the country singer, then I don't follow him - but I've been following Josh Turner Guitar for about ten years now since I found him playing Cannonball Rag on a Mexican Fender.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Been to get some bread buns and take in some fresh air.

A Jet2 737 has just landed. Been on a flight test.

Now a bit more cleaning then...muddling!!

Baz

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's interesting - the Air Ambulance folk/their promotions agent called earlier seeking some extra financial sub from me but I regretfully declined.  Now I have just been buzzed by their helicopter.  Is there a connection I wonder:scratchhead:

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 2
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold

The grass has been couped and the edges strimmed. Whilst doing so my mind wandered to when I first saw a strimming device. It was on an old programme made by the then Southern Television that went under the title "Out of Town" and featured a bucolic old Australian gent by the name of Jack Hargreaves who first came to minor fame doing a farming show in the late 50s on regional independent tv before moving on to Out of Town in 1960 and then How. Out of Town was certainly a "gentle" program that I believe intended to educate townies into the ways of bumkins. As we old bumkins die out, I doubt that anyone proposing such a programme would get through the door of any current tv production company.

And on to Tamsin Greig (as brought up by The Stationmaster). She has appeared in an ongoing comedy series that started in 2011 called Friday Night Dinner. It is what I regard as acceptable light entertainment and revolves around a middle class (Jewish?) family in North London where the two sons are expected to come home every Friday night for a family meal. Give it a go if you haven't seen any of the episodes.  

And now a little paper shuffling as the camera and telescope batteries are charging and before I do unmentionable things....

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Jack Hargreaves wasn't Australian https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Hargreaves

I used to watch Out of Town in its later years and always enjoyed it.  Jack was probably the inspiration for the Fast Show's Bob Fleming.

In other news, a new bin for the kitchen was acquired at the big ASDA (formerly Chandlers Ford Carrefour hypermarket for those following another thread) along with a load of supplies.  Mrs mole sat in the car and read a book about the Black Death.  She has noted some similarities between what was going on then and now.... 

I won't need to go out today, so may cut the back grass which is growing vigorously.  I am also needed to assist Mrs mole with her travel insurance claim for her cancelled return flight and the expensive actual flight back.  The process seems complex and difficult to me; with her autism she finds it overwhelming.

Time for some lunch.

Stay safe,

Pete

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 45156 said:

I'd love to see Josh  Turner live - provided we're talking about the same one, who operates on YouTube as Josh Turner Guitar - the nearest to me that he has appeared is Leeds and Carlisle, the former with Carson McKee, Reina Del Cid and Toni Lundgren, and the latter with a choir when he was playing Paul Simon.  If you're talking about the country singer, then I don't follow him - but I've been following Josh Turner Guitar for about ten years now since I found him playing Cannonball Rag on a Mexican Fender.

The Josh Turner I saw was the County singer, in fact I only booked the concert to hear Lainey Wilson, who I love listening to but for me he was very enjoyable as well. 

Edited by Chris116
Getting my point understandable
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, newbryford said:

For those in self-isolation.

My cousin lives in Eyam, Derbyshire. This is the second time around.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/family/life/postcards-lockdown-derbyshire-plague-village-self-isolating/

I was last there for his wedding, not too long ago (pre-CV-19!)

When I was in the last year of Primary School, we did a school production. Our year's contrbution was a play abut the plague of Eyam, a nice cheery contribution. I was the vicar. My main contribution was skipping a few lines and missing one peron's only lines onthe only night of three he was in it. I didn't get it wrong the other two nights!

• Like 10
  • Funny 7

2 hours ago, Kingzance said:

. Out of Town was certainly a "gentle" program that I believe intended to educate townies into the ways of bumkins. As we old bumkins die out, I doubt that anyone proposing such a programme would get through the door of any current tv production company.

Sounds like Countryfile to me

• Like 5
  • Agree 5

I have quite a few dvd's of Jack Hargreaves Out of Town, very enjoyable, but you wouldn't use him for reference, he got a lot of things wrong, didn't know all the fish species he was catching. A townie who desperately wanted to be a countryman and eventually he did after a fashion. Gentle entertainment and a bit of fishing on the telly when there was no other, much better and different to Countryfile in my opinion. The guy who produced a lot of them has a youtube channel and has a few clips, or you can buy copies of the dvd's from him.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl, 

Dad went fishing with Jack, we lived not too far away.  Moving to the hebridies meant I missed out of town from 1971 on.  

OoT was not as " slick "as countryfile, it didn't need half a dozen different presenters saying I'm here in xxxxxxxxx a dozen times times a show. I definitely prefer OoT over CF. 

So far today I've carved and sanded the foam male mould for the keel,  I've sanded small pieces of celotex before but such a large lump 4 ft by 6 inches by 6 inches was a first. And how easy it is, Sands easily no grain to worry about,  Just the dust as a hazard.  Tomorrow I'll finish the job,  having left it for  today , so I can have second look tomorrow with fresh eyes.  Making it wrong would be a right pain once fibreglassed. 

As for reviewing things,  I'm now being officially furloughed,  so I need to review the WFH I've been doing,  and return it tomorrow.  The furlough letter was obviously a choose the paragraph assembly , but one para I liked..  

"I understand from your manager that you have decided to remain at home isolating, which knowing your circumstances is absolutely understandable."

I wonder how many on the merely vulnerable list got that paragraph . 

The other thing is some muddling,  the basic building boxes for the radar station are complete,  but as I have now 8 weeks free,  I'm going to attempt detailing and the antenna.  This means I need to order plasticard and plastic girders etc as my stock is in a drawer at the MRC . 

I have to venture out tomorrow  to collect our prescriptions,  since the doctors / pharmacy is near enough next door to TES and Co, there is a long list being assembled by SWMBO. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3