The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Gordon said...

'Stop the world, I want to get off..." But I thought that you were thoroughly enjoying you wide variety of pursuits.

I am, it's just I have no idea where the time goes. Ballasting probably...

I do enjoy it for an hour or so. Turn the radio up and just escape from all the other nonsense, but it really has taken hours to ballast a junction without gumming everything up. Getting ballast into all the nooks and crannies where you want without getting it where you don't really is a massive challenge. I take my hat off to those of you that can do it, without thinking about it.

Right now with the weather, cars are off limits and I have the pond filter to sort out. Add to that family issues, my daughters wedding and all the other detritus of modern life and the thought of escaping to a desert island is really quite appealing.

I certainly miss the work related trips to the Southern Hemisphere during the winter months. I don't miss the work, but the winter travel was a big perk..... ;)

• RMweb Gold

I have just received a little task. Usually unplanned tasks get sent to me by phone, email or text but today I got a picture! Aditi did start off with a phone call trying to explain what she had done to the rear wiper on the car but I now know (she has a fairly smart phone) she has snapped the arm off around the motor bolt. So I'm now off to the Renault dealer!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. A bit above freezing here in the, hmm, delightful Thames Valley and the melting continues with many roads (except ours of course) clear - might even try a trip to Tesco today! But the overnight forecast does not bode well with -4 in the frame for us which suggests all the remaining wet and slushy roads round here will be turned into skating rinks by the morning.

Morning all.

Dry, clear and -1C here. I went out for long enough to fit a replacement wiper blade to the Clio.

Pete, the new Class 70 diesels here in the UK are quite angular (though they aren't really a European design!)

Yes, it makes me wonder why Freightliner orders from the USA (made in Canada) but not from Europe when a lot of the big commuter lines over here are going the other way....

Btw it takes a lot to snap a wiper arm. I guess it was frozen and Aditi gave it some Welly?

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Well, I think I did well enough in today's exam. In addition, I just got an e-mail stating that tomorrow's exam will need to be shifted to next week due to the lecturer having been taken ill.

I also just watched 189 932 rumble through the station heading a freight train. I sure would give a lot for a cab ride on one of these...

• RMweb Gold

Btw it takes a lot to snap a wiper arm. I guess it was frozen and Aditi gave it some Welly?

Best, Pete.

Remember this is the person who pulled a choke mechanism through the dashboard of a Volvo. I have obtained the parts, the ones from a 2001 Clio look identical. However as Renault can no longer identify our car by registration number (it is "old") she will probably claim that it was metal fatigue. All the broken washing machines, toasters and kettles are usually blamed on "poor design".

I've sent an email letting her know I have box of spanners ready to undo the nut. However if I can't find the WD40 I have suggested that Aditi could try "cleaning" it, I'm sure that would remove it nicely.

• RMweb Premium

It's been snowing slightly since about 2 pm, so everything's under a thin white veil by now. I'm still thinking about what we might have for dinner today. I'm gravitating towards something involving fish...but not fishy, if you will... :D

• RMweb Gold

It was -2C when Aditi arrived home. At this point I realised that I would have been too wimpy to be a motor mechanic but I went out anyway. The broken bit was firmly stuck on the motor shaft and as I didn't have a puller as illustrated in the Haynes manual I used my model rail super powers and clouted it with a cold chisel (nearest blunt instrument to hand). Anyway the new part is fitted and the Clio now has three nice non squeaky wipers.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I was 40 in the year my youngest was born but at the worst time all three of them were under 5.

I was somewhat concerned that Matthew was an only child with older than average parents but he seems OK. Our age and his lack of siblings doesn't seem to have been a problem for him.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I was somewhat concerned that Matthew was an only child with older than average parents but he seems OK. Our age and his lack of siblings doesn't seem to have been a problem for him.

Tony

I don't think it's likely to be a problem Tony - in fact it seems in some respects to work out quite well for the child. I was a couple of months short of 40 when Rob was born and his sister had been born 4 years previously - and it seemed to work well for her as she's always had a mature level of language and attitude.

The only problem of curse is that because they were born when they were they've come out of uni into a world where finding a job which actually pays you for attending has become extremely difficult, even in the so-called 'prosperous south east'. So both are still at home (mind you daughter mixes a mean batch of concrete so she has her uses :O ).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm rather glad he seems to have some good friends now he is at University. My wife is quite glad that her employer doesn't make people retire as she thinks she may need to keep working as Matthew's earliest possible date of thinking about earning seems a long way away, extra undergrad year on exchange to Canada, Masters, etc. I think some of the careers he has mentioned don't seem to have much in the way of salaries either. His cousin (same age) is only interested in high earning careers in the "City" to maintain the lifestyle he aspires to, already being enjoyed by some of his fellow students at Cambridge.

I don't think I've mixed any cement during Matthew's lifetime but perhaps his cheese stuffed meatballs in Jalfrezi sauce he threatens to make for us would be similar!

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1

Morning All,

The temperature is a positively balmy -7°C this morning and there is a thin coating of powder snow.

I'm off to Munich for a meeting today, so hopefully the trains will be running Ok.

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

At the moment it is about 0C but I haven't been out yet, it is a bit early to be putting out recycling bags.

If I don't get distracted by car repairs I'll be investigating frames for paintings. I do hope that is easier than the other shopping yesterday. I needed a new hose reel as my old reel just contained hose so kinked it hardly let any water through. I made the mistake of reading online reviews.

Robert, hope the journey to Munich is OK. We were there in the summer for a couple of days.

Tony

Guest dilbert

I do hope that is easier than the other shopping yesterday. I needed a new hose reel as my old reel just contained hose so kinked it hardly let any water through.

Is watering the garden on your 'to do' list today?

Morning - it's bloody freezing here -6°c.

Edited by dilbert

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Weather's pretty much like Robert described and predicted to possibly become sunny later today - which sure would be nice. I'd have loved to sleep in late, but was too awake around 6.30, so I just had some breakfast.

I'm off to Munich for a meeting today, so hopefully the trains will be running Ok.

I'm not sure which train you've been booked on, but ICE 591 looks to be on time.

Have a good one, guys...

Morning all. Scheduled to drop to -2 here for the next few hours. Queen's Drive (the road around Arthur's Seat) was pretty icy in places last night where the sun hadn't caught it during the day so we had to be quite careful on our run last night. I should hear today if I've got a place in the Great North Run. I ran 11.5k last night which is the furthest I've ever run so I'm slowly building up to the half marathon. My knees are rather sore this morning!

Pete - glad it's not just me then with that Gordon Lightfoot track! I had real difficulty tracking it down as whenever I tried to search for the lyrics I kept pulling up The Greatest Love Of All!

Tony, good luck with the picture frames. Experience has taught me that picking frames myself will invariably end in a return trip to the shop to have them exchanged once they've been seen by the powers that be...

Have a good day all.

Edited by sixoh8sixoh

Evening/Morning.

Gotham City is as cold at 2:30am as the high temperature expected in London today - this is so unusual. Still we will see some snow showers this afternoon but nothing expected to stick.

After this then flurries on Saturday but Sunny the rest of the time until next Wednesday.

Best, Pete.