The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I agree 100% with KZ (and I take that a Happy Anniversary wish might fit with his initial comment?).  I think it's a downright cheek for multi-billionaire, non UK taxpayer, Branson to ask the Govt for any sort of subsidy for 'his' airline which is in any case 49% US owned - in fact there seem to be conflicting stories about whether he even owns 51% of it.  He's just won a claim for millions against the NHS and Branson/Virgin Atlantic left Flybe go to the wall so in my view s*d the greedy grasper.  and according to today's 'Telegraph' he's now been left on his own asking for state subsidy (for loss making Virgin Atlantic) as other UK airlines are going with Sunak's scheme.  You get the impression I don't like him?  You're right - once you know anything at all about his ways, and some of the scum he employs as 'managers', I think anybody's opinion of him would sink well below zero....

Thanks Mike but I did say planet, not star, so 24 hours not 366 days :-). I suspect that there is a little corner in some warm place where we - and a few other contributors - will eventually be able to sit and put the world we will have left to rights but I hope that will be a while off yet.

Don’t chop your trees down all at once, we may well have a few weeks during which you will be able to wear your lumberjack’s shirt and sing to your heart’s content!

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, polybear said:

Ever had cramp in the middle of the night?  Yep, me too - fortunately not often, and not lately.

Had a new one last night though - cramp on the inside of my Thigh.

A totally new definition of pain, and some.  Trust me, don't go there.....

Here’s a smile raiser for you:

Quite recently I was enjoying a Seniors lunch in an Hertfordshire pub when pressure on one’s bladder meant I had to excuse myself from the table. I went to the wall-hung devices and lowering of the reservoir had just commenced when I was visited by an attack as described by Polybear. It was only by bearing great pain that I avoided hosing down the surrounding floor as I struggled to overcome the spasm happening in my upper right leg! Not something I would wish upon any of you (but perhaps some of the selfish b*tards we have all seen recently).

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Barry O said:

See the sheep are all of out for a day in the dales..we can see what happens next..

Baz

E6198BC9-E045-4219-A001-38455184D0E0.jpeg.e6ae5de21ea067a877974c73ce9ea756.jpeg

Hamsterley Forest is quite large....... and for them to have to say that...... sheeesh.

• Like 14
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

21 minutes ago, polybear said:

Ever had cramp in the middle of the night?  Yep, me too - fortunately not often, and not lately.

Had a new one last night though - cramp on the inside of my Thigh.

A totally new definition of pain, and some.  Trust me, don't go there.....

I get them from time to time, I find that if I try to flex the muscle as it starts then hold it flexed as long as I can, it mitigates the cramp and pain somewhat. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 6

On 21/03/2020 at 11:45, Coombe Barton said:

Rick

From other people submitting theses I know that the first thing they spot when re=reading is a typo they missed.

And the best advice from those who have - don't look at it for a fortnight. Have a break, do something else, because that's all they've been doing for months or years and takes a bit of getting used to not to do things related to that work. 

In the present circumstances going pout os not possible, as that's the best displacement. The best I can offer is some proofreading for my stuff but ...

The second word of my undergraduate dissertation was an inspired typo, making the sentence 1000 years out! But I won’t blame that for me not getting a first!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

Greetings all from Sidcup where the sun is reflecting off the car and dazzling me! 

I have successfully sourced skimmed milk this morning for Mrs Lurker although they only had 2 pint plastic bottles which is more than enough.

the new laptop has also arrived and been set up so there will no excuses for the Lurker boys not doing their schoolwork! We will have to make sure they are getting up and getting on with it especially Elder Lurker who has been  told it could positively affect his predicted grades if he demonstrates continued efforts and the improvement he had recently been showing. Hopefully we can his motivation going.

they are showing there usual devotion to their mum today so I am cooking!

I hope all are well and bearing up. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

When I had the logburner installed I said no to a mantel as all it seemed to be was a repository for junk. I’ve just gone to put something on the now non-existent mantel. I also found out who’s been using it as a repository for junk over the past thirty-six years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000gl97
How is that for timing!

Tony

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Sorry folks if you don't get rated,  the machines is saying "there was a problem reacting to this content"

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Good (late) morning owl from a cloudy, cool Piedmont.

11 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Including the "anchor" department stores?

Long time ago, but I think it was shoe-only stores.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Barry O said:

I find a drink of Indian Tonic Water helps prevent cramp.

Baz

Indian Tonic water is one recommended palliative although it doesn't work on me.   I suffer night cramps in my legs and have found the best answer is to take a single sachet's worth of original Dioralyte before going to bed.   The Teso 'own brand' version hasd no effect at all on me. 

https://www.dioralyte.co.uk

The GP also recommended 'warm up' style exercises to do some muscle stretching of the ones that suffer most and that seems to be beneficial.  But if all else fails - and I try to have periods off Dioralyte because it can knacker the kidneys - I have found that a quick squirt of Deep Freeze spray on the affected muscle(s) can work wonders although I know some folk on whom it has no effect at all when they get cramp

https://www.boots.com/deep-freeze-cold-spray-150ml-1-can-10084551

Big warning from the GP is that if you get muscle cramp while exercising/working/walking go to see your Doctor pdq as that can be sympytomatic of other problems

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Informative/Useful 17

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The last couple of days saw brilliant weather. (Rain is forecast for tomorrow.)

So much so that many flocked to the coast. Normally at this time of year the coast is a suitable place to maintain a precautionary distance and apparently everyone decided the coast would be deserted. Consequently it wasn't and the locals were upset by the hordes of marauding raiders and potential virus shedders buying up their food and toilet paper stocks.

Some ERs will recognize my happy place (Cape Kiwanda) thronged as much as a summer day despite the Governor's "stay

home, stay healthy" order.

I saw FB post that Pelican has shut completely for now, I guess due to the crowds.

We have now finished off the last growler of Pilgrim Progress so I will need to go out for essential supplies :drink_mini: but also for food as we haven't done much food hunting for a week now. However the fresh bread we did find in Westerham was very nice and just about gone.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

As I washed my hands for the nth time yesterday, using the WHO 7-step method, a thought came to me that there's a step missing. I checked some other methods, and I've not found it in any of those either.

We're told that it's the contact with soap, not just water, that dissolves the virus's envelope and so destroys it. The soap should be in contact with the virus envelope for 20 seconds to accomplish this. All these methods are shown as taking at least 20, sometimes 30, seconds to perform. But even if you take 30 seconds to wash your hands, it means the last areas you washed have only had soap on them for 10 seconds. 

Should there not be a step before the final "rinse with water" step that says "Leave soap on the hands for at least 20 seconds"? Or am I overthinking this?

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

36 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Big warning from the GP is that if you get muscle cramp while exercising/working/walking go to see your Doctor pdq as that can be sympytomatic of other problems

Mike, I won't take your answer as a formal medical diagnosis, but what could the 'other problems' be?

I used to get night cramps, but it's been quite some time time since I've had one. They've been replaced by an increase in 'restless leg syndrome' episodes. The last night cramps I can remember were after playing two one-hour soccer games in a day in temperatures of 85F - I think those were understandable. However, playing soccer in cold and wet conditions, I can get cramps in my feet - the toes actually separate into a version of the Vulcan "Live long and prosper" sign! 

• Friendly/supportive 19

23 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

I saw FB post that Pelican has shut completely for now, I guess due to the crowds.

All bars and restaurant dining rooms (which would include the pub) have been closed by order for a week or so. They could elect to sell take out food - but I don't think that makes sense (normally) in that location in the early Spring.

Pelican Brewing beers have been in heavy local distribution for some time now and are readily available in the supermarkets.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1