The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

The bulk Guinness tank was a rather dangerous work environment because after being emptied it had to be washed down to get it completely clean inside.  This was done by removing a manhole cover on the side then somebody climbed into it to make sure it was thoroughly washed from the top downwards before coming back out to finish off the bottom of the tank.  But when it was first installed nobody understood the danger involved in going inside it and somebody climbed in  immediately after the manhole had been opened - and within minutes collapsed, knocked out by Guinness fumes.  

There can be a similar problem with enclosed steel spaces which have rusted. Rusting is an oxidation process, so the oxygen in the space gets used up. There was an incident here a few years ago where someone entering a closed space in a derelict barge collapsed and had to be rescued.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

My uncle and aunt owned a pub in Ayr many years ago. They got their Guinness from Dublin, whereas everyone else got theirs from Park Royal. They had the ex-pat Irish trade sewn up. (That pun was completely unintentional - honestly!)

Best pint of Guinness I had was in the buffet at Manchester Central station. I considered missing the last train of the day to Chester in order to have another, but didn't.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The local Tess Coes had bread pudding in today, so I grabbed some. When I mentioned the Guiness tankers I was refering to the floating variety. Jamie mentioning milk stout reminded me of the early episodes of Coronation Street with the three old biddies sitting in the snug of the Rovers Return. Ena Sharples, Minnie Caldwell and Martha Longhurst, the name of the actress playing Martha was Lynne Carol who was my aunts next door neighbour in North Shore, Blackpool. A lot of the actors and actresses from Coronation Street lived in Blackpool as well as from other programs. John Comer (Sid the cafe owner from Last of the Summer Wine) lived just around the corner.

• Like 19

Good evening!

5 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

The bulk Guinness tank was a rather dangerous work environment because after being emptied it had to be washed down to get it completely clean inside.  This was done by removing a manhole cover on the side then somebody climbed into it to make sure it was thoroughly washed from the top downwards before coming back out to finish off the bottom of the tank.  But when it was first installed nobody understood the danger involved in going inside it and somebody climbed in  immediately after the manhole had been opened - and within minutes collapsed, knocked out by Guinness fumes.  After that nasty lesson the tank was always left a while with the manhole open to allow air to circulate and some hosing down was done before the 'cleaner' climbed in. and splashed about in his wellies in heavily diluted Guinness.

1 hour ago, pH said:

There can be a similar problem with enclosed steel spaces which have rusted. Rusting is an oxidation process, so the oxygen in the space gets used up. There was an incident here a few years ago where someone entering a closed space in a derelict barge collapsed and had to be rescued.

Anything associated with the brewing industry could be considered dangerous!

A bi-product of brewing is Carbon Dioxide which is heavier than oxygen.

Before Fullers in Chiswick, London, bought it out, Gales beer was brewed at Horndean in Hampshire.

On the brewery tour, we were informed that one MD had removed and placed his watch, ring, other valuables around the rim of a recently emptied fermentation vessel and climbed down to the bottom. His body was later found. Could Gales have been the only brew truly to have body?

• Informative/Useful 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 minute ago, JohnDMJ said:

On the brewery tour, we were informed that one MD had removed and placed his watch, ring, other valuables around the rim of a recently emptied fermentation vessel and climbed down to the bottom. His body was later found. Could Gales have been the only brew truly to have body?

Requests for a 'Groan' button are usually confined to the 'Jokes' topic!

Edited by pH
  • Agree 13
  • Funny 2

39 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Plymouth also had one in Drake Circus.  Both long gone.:cray_mini:

Brian.

I think I saw the one at Paignton in 1954 or 55. At five years old I was a bit too young to sample the actual product.

• Like 13

4 hours ago, AndyID said:

Not a big fan of Guinness although I did really like the clock in Paignton.

2 hours ago, brianusa said:

Plymouth also had one in Drake Circus.  Both long gone.

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

I think I saw the one at Paignton in 1954 or 55. At five years old I was a bit too young to sample the actual product.

22 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I'm posting post this link in case any younger ERs are wondering what we're wittering on about.

Thanks for the education, I hadn't a clue.

"My Goodness!" it looks like they missed an opportunity to have a menagerie with pint glasses, (seals, toucans, kangaroos, emus and so on) popping out of the thing. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

It was also given to chest patients in the 60s who obviously enjoyed it as well as to nearly term pregnant women.  In small doses alcohol enhances some of the liver enzymes but in large doses 'kills them off' and liver failure is the final result of those who drink to excess.

Is there not a published graph which looks like a tick with alcohol consumption along the X axis and benefits on the Y?

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 09/03/2020 at 16:22, BoD said:

ChrisF:  had you heard that Dublin has cancelled its St Patrick's Day parade? They must be very concerned (or cautious) to allow that to happen. Still, there's plenty of time for things to change between now and the end of June.

Pffftt, Basel cancelled three days of carnival! :dancing:

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

1 hour ago, brianusa said:

Good grief!  The clock face in Plymouth wasn't at all like that!  It was much older and perched on the side of a building and neon lit.  Most impressive for the time!

Brian.

As here

http://swib.wikidot.com/guinness-clock-drake-circus-1963

And here

http://www.oldplymouth.uk/Guinness Clock.htm

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 9

1 hour ago, brianusa said:

Good grief!  The clock face in Plymouth wasn't at all like that!  It was much older and perched on the side of a building and neon lit.  Most impressive for the time!

Brian.

But definitely not as much fun ;)

• Like 10
  • Agree 1