The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BlackRat said:

Greetings one and all........

Moved several times as a kid......from police house to police house  ( remember them?) but only two houses as a grown up.....the last current one for 30 years!

Ah, police houses. I never lived in one but many friends did. In The Riding, they were all to the same floor plan so that the carpets still fitted in the new house when Spring Manouvers took place. The latest phase ones were all in the same pale brick so are instantly recognisable  to this day.

Morning all.  A disturbed night due to the lurgi but now up and about with breakfast soon once a young lady has had hers.

I had a good walk yesterday along the river Aire to the St Aidans site. This was a huge opencast site that flooded spectacularly  in 1988 and the a few miles of the Aire actually  reversed their flow as the 70 acres of opencast filled up. A huge walking dragline was walked to safety and is now preserved near where we are. Some very interesting post industrial lanscaping. My return followed old railway lines.   Various things to do today then dinner this evening with the step dragon in law.

Regards to all.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

In the house move category I've been a bit of a nomad having lived in four places as a child, all in or around Liverpool, then I joined the RAF and in just under forty years managed fifteen different residences and Lord knows how many detachments of periods ranging from a few weeks to six months in various countries, continents and hemispheres. My last posting was at Cosford, hence we moved to Shropshire where we've lived in the same house for fifteen years, which is longer than anywhere else. I suppose that rootless is one way of putting it but what I've described is not uncommon for someone who spent his working life in the forces. I once landed in five different countries in one day with 4,000 first day covers in the gun ammunition tank of a Phantom and then over the next week had to sign the whole bl**dy lot, which the philatelic people had omitted to tell me I'd have to do when they asked if I'd take the dam*ned things! My signature gradually degenerated to the unintelligible scrawl it has remained ever since.

Just finished the wake-up muggocoffee whilst typing this and it's now off to the market before a fun packed morning of domestic niffnaff and trivia. If I'm a very good boy I may get down to the workshop this afternoon for some more la**ut wiring, which is getting to be in the same fun category and which I can't wait to finish. 

Ta ta for now. As Baz would put it, get the diem carpe'd people.

Dave

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AndyB said:

It occurs to me that now we have members in HK Europe and North America that the sun may not set on the ER Empire. 

Let's add to that -  Australia and New Zealand - truly RM and especially EM covers great distances.

• Like 5
  • Agree 14

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AndyID said:

I'm sure they know what they are doing but might a radioactive sandwich be an alternative?

It was quite a while ago and as I had a touch of cancer they thought it best to do a bone scan. They injected some stuff into me that had a half-life of about ten minutes. It showed up in my bone marrow PDQ and the emissions produced an impressive image of my entire skeleton. I was probably glowing, just not in visible light.

Hence why a Radio Active (RA) sandwich would be well degraded long before it reached the bloodstream and the targeted organ(s).  

In 60s RA isotopes became established in the NHS initially injected to kill cancer cells (strange how the 'photograph' of the first observed working as what are now ODAs in  chest theatre during student days) has come into mind.  Working in pathology RAs were introduced to detect thyroid problems by injection and then used in assays (inadvertently introducing  these techniques in early 70s in Gloucester led eventually many years after my time there to a full blown Dept of Physical Medicine).  Bioluminescence and other techniques have since taken over from Radio Immune Assay (RIA) .  What else has come to mind is the effect on our assays of the then undisclosed Chernobyl explosion in April 1986, with huge changes in background counts that led to many repeated assays at effectively enormous cost before the real reason became apparent.

Moves - 28 years in the house in which I was born in SW19 then Surrey, Gloucester and since then in the Midlands for over 40 years.

Edited by PeterBB
Adding moves aspect and the inevitable spelling correction
  • Informative/Useful 16

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

A bit misty out but something bright is trying to shine through. It should stay dry with some sunny spells.

A request has been put in for me to ferry The Boss to the local High Street. Great! Ah well, it makes a change from bloody Sainsbury's.

Have a good one,

U.N. Happyshopper.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Told a fib in my last post - it was 2,000 first day covers, not 4,000. And I've been told a million times not to exaggerate!

Dave

PS - I don't think this site can count - it's shown me as having posted 209 times for weeks.

That only means that you have posted on ER's or Wheeltappers. None railway/modelling  posts are not counted. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It looks like it's going to be a busy day, back later. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning All 

first morning I've not had to dash off early I need to speak to Scottish Power their poxy meter reading page is a waste of time having to keep repeating the reading.

A busy ahead off to the dog then back here asap to strip out the hallway its dirty rotten so that sugar soap will be used prior to painting its embarrassing when people 

enter the flat the previous owners must have been slobs to live in this filth I washed the walls the first day I was here but the dirt is embedded. :bo_mini:

My new Babe has started to call me first which is a good sign I've not had that happen before I'm hoping it's a good omen. :wub: 

Spose I better get on :superman: L.L. Bowen :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 19

As I said earlier I've lived in the capital of the Principality all of my life living at five different addresses. We've been at the current address for 22 years but had problems selling the previous house as it was on a busy road and the first estate agent we used was useless. So when we moved in here I told SWMBO that the next move I would make will probably involve an undertaker!

Here's a thought, my parents first house was a postwar council house with just 6 power sockets - my current abode has 20 double sockets and 5 single sockets - how things change.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by Danemouth
Spelling!!!
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, AndyID said:

Not sure Q's  Land Rover has been idle too long. Could be a bad battery or a dodgy connection, and don't assume "ground" really is. After a lot of murking around I eventually discovered the ground strap between the gearbox and chassis on my 6 volt '55 VW was non-existent.

just a couple of days since last use, the battery showed 90% on initial connect up of the fancy battery charger.

This type of landrover is known for having a bad earth, which it demonstrates by melting the hand brake cable!!!

However since I have brakes, if it's not the battery, I suspect the connections to the starter motor, since it lives down there amoungst the dirty wet stuff..

The battery should be fully charged tonight, if not I have another to try..

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 5

15 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

A good and a loving man - but extremely negative in outlook.  

Thus was 81C (Part 2 ), sent to roam the oceans of late romance????

Very tongue-in-cheek cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 5
  • Funny 10