The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I can recommend them.

I would put them behind chocolate cakes like Black Forest* or Sachertorte, but they can be very good.

* There is a black forest cake made by a family friend that sits in my memory from at least 40 years ago. Perhaps I have amplified how good it was but it remains my personal benchmark for a chocolate cake.

I had my first taste of Black Forrest cake nearly fifty years ago. Best of all it was in Germany not far at all from the Black Forest and it was home made by a lady who was a native of the region.

• Like 19

4 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

SWMBO has decided that we should take my Dad out for the day. After a while searching for somewhere to go in what could be dodgy weather I suggested a drive into Wales and Betws y Coed was mentioned. Now, it just so happens that there is a small railway museum there........

Back later providing we aren't waylaid by marauding bands of pachyderms when we cross the border.

Dave

PS, It looks increasingly like my visit to Stafford this weekend will be on Sunday. Who else of the ER persuasion will be there?

Hi Dave, The Swad Mafia are meeting up with the Manchester Mob again as we did at Telford, so may see you there. 

We will be in the little café opposite the  entrance for Breakfast about 9am as usual.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, southern42 said:

Timely comment, Mike.  I found some photo albums in the workshop on Saturday.  One of the photos showed two ladders down on the mainline standing up against the centre section with a painter up on each one.  Was one of them, you, I wonder?

Quite possibly - we also had a BR painter with us to make it 'official'. The others were Paul Martin and Phil Traxson who at the time were both members of the local model railway group at Mickleover, Derby, as well as both being volunteers on the Festiniog Railway - Paul now lives in York but is still a driver there, and Phil who was often his fireman has recently moved to live in Porthmadog.

Thanks for the memories . . . . . . . 

Mike

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Bob, if you duplicate a post all you have to do is click on 'report post' in the top corner. When the options come up click on the second one down 'duplicate post' and the mods will deal with it. Andy, I think Polly's orange juice was placed on top of the microwave and there was no intention to heat it. Time to put the kettle on, be back later.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

A basically quiet day disturbed only by the smell of paint and lack of access to the toaster so time could be spent entertaining the mummy cat (or being conned into worshipping her in a way she appreciates).

As the show season revs up the incidence of. clashes increases.  This weekend it will be Alton vs. Stafford.  The first involves a drive of about an hour, not too arduous and a good road but Reading becomes almost unavoidable without a significant detour; the other involves a drive to get me to Reading in time for a through train - 2 hours on an XC Voyager but no need to change and then the shuffle 'bus ride (well it shuffled along the last time I went on it).  Alton is not a big show but comes with well done (yes, literally) bacon sandwiches and has a good model shop just along the road.  Stafford involves three different climates in the three different 'halls' so you're  (i.e. I'm) either too hot, or too cold, or damp but it's a big show.  However last Saturday to the So'ton show was a long day so in due deference to my continued comfortable(?) domestic existence I had better not go for another long day just after the previous one especially with two successive weekends of shows coming up in March.  

So Alton it will be. (incidentally Stafford on Sunday is a non starter due to the poorer train service).

Enjoy the rest of your day folks.

• Like 19

Evening all quiet sort of day, did the tes cos grand prix in the morning and picked up a nice 12 year old Highland Park malt whisky for a price not seen for a while, well happy, also tipped the bill over 50 squids, so I get 5p a litre off my fuel next fill up, bonus. No muddling today, but out with a muddling pal tomorrow, so no doubt much talk of parallel bits of metal and things that tootle along on them. I've also taken the plunge with a new "proper" dcc controller, on the waiting list, just waiting for the next shipment to arrive and an email demanding modelling tokens.

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Test involves radioactive tracers , possibly a bicycle and a cheese sandwich (bring your own).  There are suggestions instead of cheese, sausage rolls are one.

I suspect I have done the same test. Along with the cheese, nuts were recommended to me. Lying still long enough for the imaging (twice*) is a bit tedious.

* A baseline, and post-exercise.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4