The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, BoD said:

One possible explanation of the strange odds sometimes quoted by bookies Is that they are a spin of from pre-decimalisation days. Ah, two bob at 9/4.  That’s 9 tanners you win (plus your stake of course). 

In the Leicestershire shoe trade the piecework rates used to be calculated in old money and then decimalised - which caused extreme problems for calculations on spreadsheets, which I had to do.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

In conversation with my bank manager today she mentioned that she's too young to remember pre-decimal coinage. This is something I wrote about twenty years ago on the subject

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/historic-british-coinage/

Very useful charts.

Remember it all well.  !947 primary school, high up on the left-hand wall was the chart from farthings  and all coin denominations to £1 notes - not that we ever saw any of those then but did later see a white £5 note in a café in the days of Marilyn Monroe and husband Arthur Miller.

Early days cheques pence were written as new pence and in terms of cheques I still write 'new pence'  just coming up to 50 years on from the change.

Also remember the 'mathematics' used and wondering why it was not the type of 'old pence to new pence equals X new pence' rather than '5 new pence plus 5 new pence equals 10 new pence' that was broadcast. Have however relatively recently stopped converting back!

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, grandadbob said:

On the plus side The Boss conjured up a tasty Hairy Bikers dish earlier involving sticky chicken thighs and along with the preceding bottle of Proper Job and then a Shiraz accompaniment I'm in a reasonably good mood.

Did it not worry you whilst eating this dish as to what may have caused the Chicken's thighs to become sticky in the first place?? :scared:

• Funny 15

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Good news - Sherry is home! The angiogram showed slight furring of one artery, but not enough to be a problem. She has been given a bucket of meds and taken off the BP med she has been taking for years. There was a bit of drama earlier, when slightly too much air was taken out of the clamp on her wrist, and there was blood everywhere. A young male nurse a bit premature with things, that's all. The clamp is now off and a simple bandage is in its place. 

Thankyou all for your kind thoughts. We hope to sleep well and hope you all do, too! 

Good news indeed.  :excl:

Brian.

• Agree 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Glad to hear Sherry and Ian's good news.

6 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

In conversation with my bank manager today she mentioned that she's too young to remember pre-decimal coinage. This is something I wrote about twenty years ago on the subject

A friends daughter was born on decimal day, 15th Feb 1971. Hard to believe that she will be 50 next year. I have half a dozen old pennies, mostly if not all dug out of the garden where they had been dropped/lost, they are enormous compared with todays coins. I also remember when working behind a post office counter in 1966 looking out for certain pennies that were worth more than their face value. Some coins at certain times were produced by other than the Royal Mint and were marked with a letter beside the date. They were legal tender and were sought after by coin collectors and if we found one in our tills we put them aside until a dealer or collector came in and asked if we had any. The rarest coin in circulation was some Edward VIII pennies. For obvious reasons Edward VIII coins are extremely rare but some pennies got into circulation before the abdication and about five or six were unaccounted for. I never found an Edward VIII penny but I did come across a George III halfpenny but that was quite badly worn and was worth only half a penny.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

(pennies) are enormous compared with todays coins.

Halfpennies were a cheap way of weighting rolling stock kits. They were in modern terms 25.48mm diameter and weighed just under 6 grams. The monetary equivalent of one of our present pennies weighed about 28 grams. Still got a bag for use in box vans, much cheaper than lead.

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

much cheaper than lead.

Depends where the lead comes from.....................................

Not that I've nicked any from church roofs - but I did acquire some - about 300mm square and 10mm thick - as an offcut from a previous employment. It was used as electrodes in an electrostatic precipitator in a Sulphur Dioxide gas system. It was (still is!) a  b*gger to cut into usable pieces to install in locos/wagons.

Another - often free - source of lead can be used car wheel balance weights.

• Like 13
  • Agree 6

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

I never found an Edward VIII penny but I did come across a George III halfpenny but that was quite badly worn and was worth only half a penny.

As a bus conductor, you had to watch for people trying to slip non-UK coins into a batch of coins for a fare. Usually coins brought back from a holiday - Ireland, Jersey, IOM etc., with the odd one from further afield like South Africa. You got good at picking them out and handing  them back. However, one conductress knew she had been given something unusual, but didn't know what it was, so kept it. It was a cartwheel penny, in great condition. She had it lacquered and hung on a chain, and wore it as a pendant.

Edited by pH
Leftover picture from earlier post.
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

I was digging through a box of model stuff the other day and found three shillings.

• Like 17
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

My father heard an Australian commercial for decimalisation:

Out go the shillings; out go the pence.

In come the dollars and in come the cents.

(Tune: Click go the shears).

Do you have to explain to children that line in Alice about the jurors adding up all the numbers and reducing the total to shillings and pence?

• Like 14