The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

6 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Presently, or hypothetically? ;)

Presently. Most of the motors in the kit we buy are already DC. Heating elements are typically AC but it's not so difficult to change them.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Just a quick check in as I'm off to LASAR soon, via the bank and Lidl, and Lily still needs her second walk.  I've managed to pick up on all the posts, and they are all rated.   Interesting comments about electricity and methods of generation thereof make my brain ache a bit.

As usual, I offer the usual generic greetings which are meant most sincerely.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 14

1 minute ago, AndyID said:

Presently. Most of the motors in the kit we buy are already DC. Heating elements are typically AC but it's not so difficult to change them.

Presently, all of them have transformers connected to the plug, So the DC won't work! ;)

I was trying to think of a single appliance that benefits from an AC supply. The only one I could think of was fluorescent tubes and they're obsolete (and environmentally nasty) anyway. I doubt there are any induction motors on modern appliances - even the washers and dryers. I don't know about the motor connected to the pump on the refrigerator. I'm not planning to take mine apart to find out!  I expect any variable speed or small form factor motor is already a DC motor.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

14 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Potentially none. But the cost of replacing everyone's domestic appliances would be eye-watering.

It's a matter of time. If you want to produce a product that will work anywhere in the World it better not depend on a voltage and frequency. These days there is really isn't any need to assume either of them are constants.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

11 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Presently, all of them have transformers connected to the plug, So the DC won't work! ;)

I was trying to think of a single appliance that benefits from an AC supply. The only one I could think of was fluorescent tubes and they're obsolete (and environmentally nasty) anyway. I doubt there are any induction motors on modern appliances - even the washers and dryers. I don't know about the motor connected to the pump on the refrigerator. I'm not planning to take mine apart to find out!  I expect any variable speed or small form factor motor is already a DC motor.

You'll be hard pressed.

These days it's not difficult to synthesize some sort of AC from DC, or DC from DC. Sine waves are overrated.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, AndyID said:

I'm inclined to believe that could be pushing it a bit.

(Are these people effing mental? Scotland is famous for scientists, not lunatics.)

You've not being paying attention lately have you...……………………………………………………….

• Funny 14

In the Outer Hebrides they could just burn all the crap laying all over the islands and generate some electrickery from the heat, untidy burgers those crofters. One thing to add to the AC/DC(no not the band) debate is 'elf 'n' safety, DC is flippin' dangerous even at low voltages.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Pardon me but at what point did Scotland/Wales/England suddenly cease to be an island?

I didn't say that it isn't.

But much of the traffic on the bridge would be travelling to/from mainland Europe, not Great Britain.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Caught up and not too much from this end. I would add into the wind turbines debate that certain local authorities saw such farms as a great boost for their coffers and actively encouraged proliferation even in low wind areas, just as long as the councillors didn’t actually have to live alongside them. I like the idea of offshore farms because, although harder to service, they don’t consume land and they are clearly forming minor marine conservation areas in their own right. If the turbine owners are being paid for whenever the turbines are available rather than when they are generating, the business model is unfairly tilted in their favour - hence plenty of turbines and many seen stopped!

Other than that, hope the sufferers are recovering, a few seem to be missing. Has anyone heard from Andrew of The Boring Borough recently? Instructions about to be received, c u later.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. No ones mentioned two methods of power generation that are in one case renewable and the other nuclear but far safer in many ways. The first is tidal power, a lot more expensive to build than wind generators but reliability is guaranteed (if built properly in the first place). The second is thorium, a nuclear fuel but far safer than uranium. If Fukushima had been thorium powered it could have been switched off before the tsumani hit. Tidal power stations would naturally have to be built offshore and where there is a strong tidal race, the East Coast and Bristol Channel the first already has the infrastructure for bringing the power ashore from the wind turbines which in turn could be moved to the artificial islands built around the tidal generators. Thorium generates energy in the same way as uranium but whereas uranium gives off energy in the form of radiation naturally and in a nuclear power station is controlled by carefully (and slowly) inserting graphite rods thorium only gives off energy when it is bombarded with electrons. Another advantage is it does not produce dangerous by products such as plutonium. As for DC domestic supply many devices that run on DC have the power and voltage changed at the socket via the plug connected to the power supply. For many such appliances its a simple case of exchanging the plug.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I think I've come to realise that some people are very strange.

From the tens to hundreds of people I sell tickets to every day, there are some that think because they don't know something, they think I will think they are thick.  And so, because these people don't know something, they seem to think it's wrong or difficult.  Not sure why that is.

Example:

Lady comes in to collect ticket.

She asks whether parking can be pre-booked.

I said there was no parking at the station.

She pointed to the car park on the other side of the railway.

I said it was council run so I didn't know anything about it.

Lady then looked at me like it was my fault she didn't realise and made that grumpy sort of huff noise.

Maybe she was just embarrassed about not knowing.

I don't get embarrassed that I don't know anything about car engines, so not too sure I understand.

But the more I see things like this, the more I accept other people are just strange :mocking_mini:

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It seems to be a day of gentle breezes and sunny intervals here.

Nothing happening of an awly warning nature. Nothing much happening of any activity to be honest. I suspect Aditi will suggest a walk somewhere at some time today.  
Tony

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning All 

Patchy sky cold breeze 

One lot of laundry in, the bedding I shall do battle later with the duvet leaving it out to air, I have bought a new bedding set I'll put that through 

the wash before using it.

The monster dog will be taken care of mid-day I'm feeding him so he behaves himself up to that point it also when he gets shoved off out into

the garden once he starts rough play. 

This week is my day out with Czech the girlfriend she wants to go to Portsmouth, OK by me I've not been up the Spinnaker Tower yet still it's her choice for a 

day out any-one know of a decent restaurant down that way.

Better get on lots to do today  :superman: H. Arassed  :biggrin_mini2:

Yippee my emoji's are now working they have had a hissy fit since last Wednesday

Edited by 81C
Emoji's
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Plenty of eateries in Portsmouth but the only one I have experienced is the pub on the corner right outside the dock gates (can't remember its name). Food was pretty good and quite reasonably priced, well it was 6 years ago when I took a party down there to visit the Mary Rose.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

The channel between Scotland and Ireland is about 100m deep. The English channel is about 34 metres. They filled up at very deferent times after the last Ice Age, which is why there are no snakes in Ireland - they hadn't reached what was to become mainland UK before Ireland became an Island.

People proposing the bridge or tunnel do not seem to be engineers.

• Like 12
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

30 minutes ago, 81C said:

This week is my day out with Czech the girlfriend she wants to go to Portsmouth, OK by me I've not been up the Spinnaker Tower yet still it's her choice for a 

day out any-one know of a decent restaurant down that way.

I'm a fairly regular traveller to Portsmouth.  If going to the Spinnaker Tower then Gunwharf  Quays has a fair choice.  I'd suggest "The Old Custom House" (Pub-style) or "Loch Fyne" (Fish) for decent food - both in the Quays and both adjacent to (what I assume) was once a dry dock (appears as 3 rectangular areas of water on Google Maps).

HTH

(Caution: Gunwharf Quays is full of shops - many upmarket.  It could get expensive....)

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Robert said:

In my humble opinion, Nuclear is a mistake, if something goes wrong (which it can) the price is too high, but long term coal isn't an option either.

I suspect that this is a problem that will haunt us for many years to come.  After all, everyone wants the lights to remain on.

Have a good day everyone...

The raw material for nuclear is available, it requires less overall space and the 'waste area needed' is minimal - not sure what all the fuss is about.  Compared to the dreadful windmills that spoil great areas of the countryside, but which in some parts are necessary, I think that nuclear is the best solution and are we as a country aware that currently we import a tremendous amount of nuclear generated electricity from France? I must declare here that I have experience of working with radio-active material and have also walked on top of a nuclear generator in the days before it was 'mothballed' and also think that the Windscale 'demonstrations' and exhibition is 'fixed' against a nuclear future in its presentations.

Coombe Martin's turbine explanations are superb.

Peter

• Like 14
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

Coombe Martin's turbine explanations are superb.

Thank you, Although you have relocated me from a pub in North Cornwall to a picturesque coastal village with horrendous parking charges in North Devon.

I set my students an essay: "Sustainable Energy has no future without Nuclear Power. Discuss."

• Like 16

Norming all , , ,Just thought I'd hoy this into the mix.

Environmentalists For Nuclear Energy.[3][4]

EFN had over 10,000 members and supporters in 2013, with local correspondents[5] and a network of affiliated organizations and in more than 60 countries, to inform the public on energy and the environment.

Patrick Moore and James Lovelock are supporters of the group.

John

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AndyID said:

Pardon me but at what point did Scotland/Wales/England suddenly cease to be an island?

6 May 1994?

• Like 5
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Thank you, Although you have relocated me from a pub in North Cornwall to a picturesque coastal village with horrendous parking charges in North Devon.

I set my students an essay: "Sustainable Energy has no future without Nuclear Power. Discuss."

Oops, apologies - I normally check typos and yes, one of the problems in the south west is the 'London style' parking charges.  I would be interested in a summary of the students  conclusions.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1