The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Actually the castle seems to have collapsed more since I painted this. There is a warning about falling masonry. If you believe in that kind of thing; one of the most haunted places oop there, by God!

Note red pen. What is the significance? 'Cos, I've forgotten....

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

Afternoon All

Been AWOL for a day or two, and what happens, we get the Pete art exhibition - I like the work, as does 30747 who knows a lot more about arty things than I do - she doesn't know it yet, but I'm hoping she'll do me a backscene.

Chilly yesterday and also this morning - currently above zero, but not by much, and I've taken the precaution of spreading rock salt on the paths, and covering the car. Usually that's a guarantee of rain and a rise in temperature.

Don - be a patient patient, and make sure that you get fully and properly mended. 30747 is adamant that I recovered so well as I followed every instruction that the doctors gave me, and I firmly believe that if you do the same, you will get progressively better.

Wow - what a bargain that was. If the condition's good, then you've really got yourself a real bargain - it's surprising, as most major charity shops these days have a central valuation team for books, and the really good stuff doesn't even get to the shops and what does is priced just under what it might fetch on Amazon of Ebay. It is also very unusual for railway titles to sit around on the shelves for very long, as I know to my cost. Having said that I picked up a copy of Scotland's Railways by O.S. Nock yesterday in the Oxfam shop in Skipton - not a bad copy, and it cost me £3.99. Unfortunately, its arrival when added to about another dozen or so other books meant that a large reorganise became essential rather than just something that might need doing! Top of the must find list is now a copy of Cross & Anderson's Steam In Scotland Vol 2 - but it has to be at the right price - not £60.00 or so that I've seen it at.

Regards to All

Stewart

£20 OK?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0711003866/ref=dp_olp_used_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=used

• RMweb Gold

Note red pen. What is the significance? 'Cos, I've forgotten....

Best, Pete.

Traditionally teachers used to mark in red but I understand it is frowned on as being disrespectful to "clients".

I can't think of any other red pen meaning but green or purple ink definitely means something!

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Traditionally teachers used to mark in red but I understand it is frowned on as being disrespectful to "clients".

Over here, red still tends to be reserved for teachers' comments and marking. At least I remember numerous instances of kids being reminded not to use red for underlining stuff during assignments for this very reason from my teaching practice weeks.

Thanks for the help re the printer, Tony. It's all working but I'm struggling to find the printer set up page anywhere. You know where you set B & W or colour, quality of print, no of copies, page size etc etc. No doubt it will jump out and bite me soon, but no luck so far.

It did bite me....

The menu doesn't show until you select something to print. Doh!...

Edited by gordon s

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the help re the printer, Tony. It's all working but I'm struggling to find the printer set up page anywhere. You know where you set B & W or colour, quality of print, no of copies, page size etc etc. No doubt it will jump out and bite me soon, but no luck so far.

No idea with the Mac! On Win 7 it is double click on the printer icon in Control panel- printers and then preferences from the dialog box that opens. I don't know if any of those terms exist on the Mac.

We are very pleased with the HP all in one thingy. Its only fault is that it doesn't seem to reliably change function from previous use if it has been in standby for a long time. However the general usefulness is really good. We found out that Aditi (sitting next to scanner) can scan something (controlling it from her PC) and send it to mine. I must admit at first this was an accident as she wanted to know where her work had gone! We originally bought it in a John Lewis sale for a ridiculously low price when a German software company insisted initially on a fax to renew a licence. By the time they relented (after my reasoned argument that a fax was so last century!) to a accept a pdf document the device was on its way.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Gordon you can get at some of the basic printer stuff (and I realise it's not exactly what you are asking for) by clicking on the Apple symbol (top left of screen) the 'system Preferences' then 'Print & Fax'. As far as the detail stuff for individual items is concerned it only seems to be accessible when you wish to print a document.

Morning All,

Hope you all had a good weekend - Monday morning has dawned clear and cold here. In fact, much more like Winter should be.

Pete's watercolours are stunning!

Have a good day everyone...

Good Monday Morning all,

How bl***y cold? Glad I'm not there! Looks like theres going to be some movement on the strike front today, the govt. has agreed to drop the petrol price a bit, but have to wait to see if thats going to be accepted......

Still keeping my head down, enjoy your day, Trev

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, chilly outside minus enough to make my face cold walking the dog. Last night I was assistant colourist for DD2 three hours of holding dyes, passing foils etc, never again. Making sure my performance management details are sorted today in the vain hope of getting extra cash.

We originally bought it in a John Lewis sale for a ridiculously low price when a German software company insisted initially on a fax to renew a licence. By the time they relented (after my reasoned argument that a fax was so last century!) to a accept a pdf document the device was on its way.

Not completely surprising Tony - Many German companies will insist on a fax because under German law anything legally binding must be submitted "in writing". A fax is considered to be in writing, whereas an e-mail isn't. Yes, it is strange!

• RMweb Premium

Well, if this isn't a sunny day, I don't know what is! Just dropped off my report at the relevant office too, so I can now concentrate on revising for my exams. Plus a small presentation, which but will be a shared job with two other course mates, and thus not too hard to accomplish, methinks.

One other anecdote about German officialdom: There also can be rather significant differences between individual states. For example, if somebody wants to renounce their church affiliation, it is sufficient to just hand in an informal note at the local registry office in some states, whereas in others you need to present yourself in person to the magistrate's court in order to have it put on record, and will be charged with a fee for it.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Sunny, dry,no breeze and still below freezing.

Nothing planned today, Aditi is on "holiday" today, she has a taken a days leave (college staff don't have the same holidays as school staff) to prepare for tomorrow's exam. I shall be spending the day making tea and providing food as required.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

One other anecdote about German officialdom: There also can be rather significant differences between individual states. For example, if somebody wants to renounce their church affiliation, it is sufficient to just hand in an informal note at the local registry office in some states, whereas in others you need to present yourself in person to the magistrate's court in order to have it put on record, and will be charged with a fee for it.

I had read about that somewhere. Although there is a State religion here, the state in the form of national or local religion keeping records of affiliation just wouldn't happen. The nearest is the question on the census and that is supposed to be secret (in individual identity) for 100 years.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, looks like a cold one. Today is a chance to relax for 8 hours before going on call again this evening. The weekend has reinforced my conviction that you should never believe management when they say that things are getting better. They're not.

I'm just going to have a go at making this bara brith stuff - the dried fruit has been soaking overnight in cold sweet tea, looks and smells disgusting. Hopefully chucking in the other ingredients and cooking it will make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, if not that then a decent tasting cake or whatever it's supposed to be.

Have a good one.

• RMweb Premium

This item of keeping records of religious affiliation also has to do with the state being responsible for collecting the church tax, which in and of itself may very well be questioned from the point of view of keeping state and church separate. However, I guess that would be a discussion better conducted elsewhere.

• RMweb Gold

I'm just going to have a go at making this bara brith stuff - the dried fruit has been soaking overnight in cold sweet tea, looks and smells disgusting. Hopefully chucking in the other ingredients and cooking it will make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, if not that then a decent tasting cake or whatever it's supposed to be.

I've never made it but Aditi has made something similar (well contains tea and fruit) called Borrowdale teabread. I don't remember the raw soaked ingredients smelling bad though!

• RMweb Gold

I've never made it but Aditi has made something similar (well contains tea and fruit) called Borrowdale teabread. I don't remember the raw soaked ingredients smelling bad though!

It's all in the nose of the beholder!